New U2 Album 'Songs of Experience' Out Dec. 1st // Tour Starting in May 2018

The Holographic Universe

4 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Wow. I enjoy Red Flag Day and The Showman very much and The little Things is a classic U2 song for me. 

Aside from There is a Light which I think is great, Red Flag Day might be the best on the album but to me it's very b-side and as for The Little Things I felt live it is classic but it's absolutely neutered on the album. I actually really hate the drums on it and it loses all it's emotion and energy on the album. Same with the Blackout. It absolutely sucks on the album compared to that first semi live verison they released. 

16 minutes ago, Bono said:

Aside from There is a Light which I think is great, Red Flag Day might be the best on the album but to me it's very b-side and as for The Little Things I felt live it is classic but it's absolutely neutered on the album. I actually really hate the drums on it and it loses all it's emotion and energy on the album. Same with the Blackout. It absolutely sucks on the album compared to that first semi live verison they released. 

In my experience, all U2 albums since 2000 need to be experienced live for me to have a connection with the material. I hated ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb when I heard them and No Line, too. So for me, U2 is a live experience and often thier albums fall flat. 

On December 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

In my experience, all U2 albums since 2000 need to be experienced live for me to have a connection with the material. I hated ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb when I heard them and No Line, too. So for me, U2 is a live experience and often thier albums fall flat. 

Im the same way. U2 is a weird band for me. They are one of my favorites, but I almost never listen to entire albums (save for Achtung, Joshua, and SOI). I think they are amazing live, and have some of the best pop rock ever made, but for their releases since ATYCLB they've been more about hits and individual songs for me. Songs of Innocence is the only album I really listen to front to back since ATYCLB

After a few weeks I can say this album is a total clunker for me. What a let down!

• 4 months later...

Gonna revive this thread from the dead; the Experience + Innocence tour starts tonight, anyone going?  It looks like they're bringing back the original I+E stage for it.

Edited by Gackt

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I was at opening night in Tulsa. The band didn’t play whereby the streets have no name, but the concert was amazing. 

It seems they decided to leave out all Joshua material from the set list. They probably tired themselves of it after last year.

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

It seems they decided to leave out all Joshua material from the set list. They probably tired themselves of it after last year.

This surprised me the most on the tour, the lack of Streets & With or Without You.  They'll probably shake up the setlist at some point during the tour, but it's pretty solid for the most part based on how long the band typically performs and including enough material for the current album promotion.

• 4 weeks later...

@Black Sabbath and I attended the Apollo Theater show this past Monday. I'm still recovering from it. It was epic! It also made me appreciate some of the new tracks even more hearing them live, although I'm still rather bummed they didn't play "The Blackout." Seemed like a perfect venue for it!

Here's my recording of Every Breaking Wave: 

• 1 month later...

For anyone following Songs of Experience since its release, there's been a lot of remixes and EP's released since then not including the deluxe edition tracks, including one released today for Summer of Love:

You're the Best Thing About Me

• Acoustic Version

Get Out of Your Own Way

• Switch Remix
  • Afrojack Remix

Lights of Home

• Free Yourself / Beck Remix

Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

• Will Clarke Remix
  • The Funk Hunters Remix
  • Daybreakers Remix
  • Acoustic Version