2017/2018 Almanac

Gracii Guns

Thread bumped, title changed…

----------------------------------------------------------

My favourite thread in AG tends to be the personal ones, where we each take a brief look over the past year, and mention what we're anticipating in the next. 

In 2016 I got to meet a ton of MYGNRFORUMTM members at Axl/DC in Manchester. I also got to see Alfierose and Graeme on additional days, which is always fun. Got that stupidly aspirational holiday in, and made a lot of magazines. I also completed an award in Education and Training… with a certificate to prove it and everything! Had my first full year on the staff team here, which has been just brilliant. All the MYGNRFORUM staff are good friends and we've seen those friendships strengthen this year. Finally, we moved to a real house, after 5 years of living in dingy flats. :) 

Next year I hope to get a real job again, as I'm getting more training in web design in. I'd also like to start a family, but aren't pinning all my hopes on that in case it doesn't happen. Hoping to get a little holiday in, and ideally would love another qualification in something, but probably won't have the money for both yet. In June I'm going to see GN'R in London. 

What would you like to mark in 2016? Anything big happening next year that we should know about?

Edited by Gracii Guns
The passage of time!
  • Like 3

In 2016 I did a lot of things I loved. Traveled with the Mrs to Gran Canaria, Heidelberg in Germany and the Dolomites in Italy. Traveled to Scotland for the 5th time with my whisky club. Had a lot of fun club-days with the same club. And a lot more good evenings having a drink with friends. All the regular events were visited, including the Whisky Festival Noord Nederland, a Bockbeer walk, a winterbeer walk and many more. Attended a friends wedding and hung out with the old gang from back when we were 12 and playing football together. We basically grew up together and we still do it a few times a year. Always great to have that bunch complete. Had my 10-year anniversary at work. Many lazy days with our 2 cats. Saw some great gigs including Iron Maiden, Buddy Guy, The Roots and Adele. And of course another year of getting to hang out (albeit briefly) with one of the best people I've met through mygnr @Sekh-met. Must've been the 7th time or something and definitely not the last! But above all 2016 was the year that the Mrs got pregnant. Absolutely stoked to have our little baby! 

Which pretty much brings me to the main point of 2017 - WE'RE HAVING A BABY! Which kind of puts all other plans in ice for now. We're still going to travel, probably in September. Going to see Guns n' Roses in July. I'm probably going to Scotland again. And I'm going to try to still do as much of the things from 2016 as possible. Because I really liked it! We'll just have to blend it all in with caring for our little girl as well as we can. I'm excited for 2017! :) 

Edited by username
  • Like 3

In 2016 I...

1) Saw the bizarre and incredible phenomenon that was Axl/DC in Manchester.

2) FINALLY got my MSc project published and it's my first scientific publication ever. First author n' all! *self-high-five*

3) Passed my transfer viva

4) Snogged a Finnish dude at a conference :P

In 2017 I will...

1) be seeing Gn'R at the London gig. :thumbsup:

2) try to make my current project work so as not to loose my funding...

Edited by KiraMPD
  • Like 1

On 28. 12. 2016 at 9:30 PM, username said:

And of course another year of getting to hang out (albeit briefly) with one of the best people I've met through mygnr @Sekh-met. Must've been the 7th time or something and definitely not the last!

Definitely not the last! It is always a pleasure meeting up with you and your Mrs, and I hope to meet the little one soon ^_^

And since I poped my head in here I may as well contribute.

2016 highlights would be Axl/DC in Vienna..and of course finally meeting the man! (Im still like :dance:when I think about that :D), got to hang out with some forum members that day as well. Of course meeting up with Username is always a highlight, we seem to meet up almost every year lately if my memory serves me right. Had som fun trips to Groningen, Berlin, London with friends and as every year I lose count on how many times I went to Prague and Vienna.  In London and Vienna and I got to hang out with an old friend from this forum that I know for at leats 10 years but we never got to meet before as she lives in Canada..some old members here may remember - Gillian was her username but she does not post anymore. We had a great time and I hope I get to see her again someday. Seen some great concerts, highlight from the top of my head would be axl/dc as already mentioned, Robert Plant, The Who, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, The Cure, Brian Jonestown Massacre, David Gilmour, then a lot of small club concerts. Moved to a new position at work where what they call work-life balance seems to exist ..so all good :) 

For 2017 I have my concert tickets ready for 2 GNR shows   ..still hoping to go to at least one more show if I there are any tickets available in Arpil-May, and for Bryan Ferry.  I have a short Rotterdam - Hague trip booked for February. The rest is a mystery..or in other words all travelling depends on how many GNR gigs I can make it to :awesomeface: 

• Like 2

On 29/12/2016 at 0:49 AM, KiraMPD said:

In 2016 I...

1) Saw the bizarre and incredible phenomenon that was Axl/DC in Manchester.

2) FINALLY got my MSc project published and it's my first scientific publication ever. First author n' all! *self-high-five*

3) Passed my transfer viva

4) Snogged a Finnish dude at a conference :P

In 2017 I will...

1) be seeing Gn'R at the London gig. :thumbsup:

2) try to make my current project work so as not to loose my funding...

Congrats, that's awesome! What's your field?

17 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Congrats, that's awesome! What's your field?

Physical Chemistry / Soft Matter Physics / Biochemistry

Currently I'm working on making vesicles that can serve as an 'advanced' drug delivery system. My MSc project was based on reconstituting not very stable membrane proteins into durable vesicles so as to increase overall stability in a membrane.

36 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Physical Chemistry / Soft Matter Physics / Biochemistry

Currently I'm working on making vesicles that can serve as an 'advanced' drug delivery system. My MSc project was based on reconstituting not very stable membrane proteins into durable vesicles so as to increase overall stability in a membrane.

Very impressive, I've got some good friends who're chemists (one's just about to submit his PhD in Lille, France, looking at creating a biodegradable equivalent of plastic bottles).

The only time I've encountered vesicles is in physical volcanology; nucleation, growth etc. are very important to eruption dynamics. I've friends whose entire PhD projects are based on simulating bubble growth in volcanic systems.

2016 was all about traveling for me. I traveled in/to 15 different countries: US, Mexico, Canada, Japan, China, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Romania, Luxembourg, Germany, England, Norway, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. I saw some amazing sights with amazing friends, including Teotihuacan, the Zocalo, the Island of the Dolls, Mount Fuji, the Great Buddha, the Great Wall of China, Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City, Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps, the Duomo, Bran Castle, Cologne Cathedral, and Giant's Causeway. I saw my favorite band 21 times, in 11 of those countries. That made for a pretty damn good year :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

2016 was all about traveling for me. I traveled in/to 15 different countries: US, Mexico, Canada, Japan, China, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Romania, Luxembourg, Germany, England, Norway, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. I saw some amazing sights with amazing friends, including Teotihuacan, the Zocalo, the Island of the Dolls, Mount Fuji, the Great Buddha, the Great Wall of China, Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City, Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps, the Duomo, Bran Castle, Cologne Cathedral, and Giant's Causeway. I saw my favorite band 21 times, in 11 of those countries. That made for a pretty damn good year :)

i went to Cornwall...:P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

that sounds amazing but exhausting! goo for you though :)

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

i went to Cornwall...:P

i would kill to see Cornwall :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I had a fight at a service station near Chappell Town in Leeds once, I'd been there all of 10 minutes and some fuckin' prick kicked off with me for literally zero reason.  Wanker.

Chapel Town is an absolute shithole!