10 Songs that prove Axl Rose is Rock's Greatest Lyricist

I don't agree at all, I could easily present you 10 songs which proof that Daniel Wirtz is the greatest rock lyricist. :)

Ne Weile her, Mon Amour, Erster Stein, Richtig weh, Kugel,Kopf & Eins im Sinn, LMAA, Overkill, Meinen Namen, Geschichten ohne Sieger, Der Sog....

All songs with great lyrics, deep from the heart and you believe every word he sings. I sometimes pity all the people which don't understand German, we have really awesome lyricists. I know that feeling since I like some bands like French or Spanish ones and try to translate lyrics, they have some awesome songwriters, too.

Edited by Zurimor

I know there are only like four albums of their work, but it seems like there is so much more, when so many of their songs are long and lyrically dense, UYI is like four albums worth (in length). I mean Locomotive and Coma must have more words in them than whole albums by other bands. We feel short changed by their discography when really they've been generous and we've been fortunate to get such great material.

8 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Just like any other top 10 list, click bait, boring and biased. 

What @Jane M. said.

Alt Nation is such a sad site. They'll do anything for clicks including outregous claims such as "Axl Rose is Rock's Greatest Lyricist".

Axl has written some great lyrics but he's also written lot of shit. What you get when you weigh it all out is an average lyricist. Even if the dude had only written the half that's excellent, that would take us down to like 10 GN'R songs at most. That doesn't make him "the greatest", it makes him a person with super low output that happens to be good. 

Nothing I just said is a slight against Axl, it's just to truth. There's just no need to wildly overstate the case in hopes of getting some clicks as Alt Nation does over and over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

BTW, @BlueJean Baby please copy & paste any and all Alt Nation articles in the future instead of doing the lazy thing and starting a thread with a link. We're not here to provide them with the clicks that they're so desperate for, we're here to discuss GN'R.

• Like 2

Axl Rose is Rock's Most Uneven Lyricist would be a better title. AFD has some great moments and Don't Damn Me, Coma, Breakdown & Locomotive are all brilliant lyrics, but this is in contrast to the likes of Anything Goes, Think About You, Back Off Bitch, One In A Million, Shotgun Blues, Get On The Ring, My World and all of Chinese Democracy, bar TWAT.

It always amazes me that the same guy wrote the words for Locomotive and This I Love.

He's not the greatest but he has come up with some good stuff for sure. I can remember when I first heard My Michelle back in '87, thinking whoa this guy is singing about some real shit here. I still think it's great, the imagery is very vivid and the words are well chosen, a line like "yesterday was Tuesday, maybe Thursday you can sleep," really says a lot with few words.

"Party till your connection calls, honey I'll return the key" is great too...he's checking out and returning the key, she's staying in the room to party, because she obviously has no place else to go.

He's painted a grim picture but then in the bridge it gets hopeful with the "someday you'll find someone that you can call your own" -- someday, but not yet...so "till then ya better"...better what? Doesn't say but we can bet it's not good. It's a great  song.

Edited by bigpoop
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2016 at 2:14 AM, RussTCB said:

BTW, @BlueJean Baby please copy & paste any and all Alt Nation articles in the future instead of doing the lazy thing and starting a thread with a link. We're not here to provide them with the clicks that they're so desperate for, we're here to discuss GN'R.

Was on not so smart phone sorry will do from tablet from now on ..;) my internet has been out so only had phone lately. But it finally came back today. :P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Added to it

Problem with rating lyrics is a lot of it has to do with context, they are not meant to be read off a bit of paper they are meant to be heard in their context so isolating them from the music doesnt help them.  When taken on their own 99% of lyrics in rock music are fucking awful, SCOM for instance is awful on paper but set to the music its fuckin' amazing.  There are probably 5 or 6 rock lyricists whoose work looks good on paper outside of the music, Bob Dylan is one, Leonard Cohen was another...struggling to think of any more.  Even my favourite folk like Lennon or Iggy Pop or Joe Strummer, on paper their lyrics suffer but then they're not meant to be read as one might read poetry.

• Like 3