Wagszilla

Will we hear new music in 2017?

144 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

No. Maybe there's a want to do it, but there is both no time and what seems like a unsureness about what they would release (something that sounds classic? something modern?)... so, no I don't think we'll get anything this year, maybe mid 2018 if things go well. I expect a new SMKC record in 2018 before Guns decide to do anything (other than more touring of the old, tired material).

Pretty much this. I think there's too many issues regarding what the next album will sound like & what it "will be" ultimately.   On one hand you have the baggage of all the other unreleased Chi Dem era tracks.  On the other hand, you would have to complete the miracle that would be Axl, Slash & Duff heading into the studio with everyone else and writing totally new compositions.  Just don't see that happening, despite the success on the touring front. 

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Oh I totally think Axl would have made WOF better.  I really liked the album too. 

Yeh, If Axl was singing on that record that would have been a great Guns release... well if they have cut it down to 12 songs. BUT I loved WOF and think it was definitely my favourite Myles record (including alter bridge).

1 person likes this

Fernando said if 2017 is looking good, 2018 will be looking brighter.

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeh, If Axl was singing on that record that would have been a great Guns release... well if they have cut it down to 12 songs. BUT I loved WOF and think it was definitely my favourite Myles record (including alter bridge).

Just curious, which 5 songs would you have cut? It's my favourite Myles (and Slash) record too.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Oh I totally think Axl would have made WOF better.  I really liked the album too. 

How so? What would Axl have brought vocally that Myles didn't? I mean, considering the amount of complaints people around here have w.r.t Axl's voice... If for some reason you don't like Myles's voice, then the same could be achieved by finding a 'new' singer who has a vocal quality similar to Axl (which admittedly are rare but not impossible to find).

Or do you think Axl would have brought something more to the table lyrically? Which is more of a gray area because, as noted in previous threads, Axl is an inconsistent lyricist.

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

How so? What would Axl have brought vocally that Myles didn't? I mean, considering the amount of complaints people around here have w.r.t Axl's voice... If for some reason you don't like Myles's voice, then the same could be achieved by finding a 'new' singer who has a vocal quality similar to Axl (which admittedly are rare but not impossible to find).

Or do you think Axl would have brought something more to the table lyrically? Which is more of a gray area because, as noted in previous threads, Axl is an inconsistent lyricist.

It's a tough thing for me. I like Axls melodies better, but I like Myles lyrics better than Axls (Iris of the storm are my favourite lyrics he's ever written). I am actually really mad Slash didn't save up the riff for Dirty Girl for one more album after having passed up on it twice, because it is used up now, Axl would have turned that into a fucking amazing song I have no doubt. In my utopian dreamworld the 2nd riff would open the self titled GNR record that we haven't gotten yet, it's that good, but we got a mediocre song out of it. With the music Slash composed if Axl sang it would just sound like classic GNR, and I think that is reason enough for me to want to have Axl sing on those tracks. It's been too long.

49 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's a tough thing for me. I like Axls melodies better, but I like Myles lyrics better than Axls (Iris of the storm are my favourite lyrics he's ever written). I am actually really mad Slash didn't save up the riff for Dirty Girl for one more album after having passed up on it twice, because it is used up now, Axl would have turned that into a fucking amazing song I have no doubt. In my utopian dreamworld the 2nd riff would open the self titled GNR record that we haven't gotten yet, it's that good, but we got a mediocre song out of it. With the music Slash composed if Axl sang it would just sound like classic GNR, and I think that is reason enough for me to want to have Axl sing on those tracks. It's been too long.

So... basically you primarily want Axl for his voice. But like I said previously, considering the changes Axl's voice has undergone, would it still sound like "classic GnR"? And even assuming that his voice now could hold up to your expectations, Axl's had so many different ways and styles of singing. Even on AFD it ranges from the low and mean "It's so Easy" to the melodic three part harmony of "Paradise City", to the screeching "You're Crazy" and "My Michelle". I'm guessing the "clean" vocals from If the World are out of question...

On a personal note, I'm not as found of Myles's lyrics as I am of Axl's. But that's just me, lyrics can be very subjective.

16 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

So... basically you primarily want Axl for his voice. But like I said previously, considering the changes Axl's voice has undergone, would it still sound like "classic GnR"? And even assuming that his voice now could hold up to your expectations, Axl's had so many different ways and styles of singing. Even on AFD it ranges from the low and mean "It's so Easy" to the melodic three part harmony of "Paradise City", to the screeching "You're Crazy" and "My Michelle". I'm guessing the "clean" vocals from If the World are out of question...

On a personal note, I'm not as found of Myles's lyrics as I am of Axl's. But that's just me, lyrics can be very subjective.

I would wish for more songs with the menancing ISE/Shacklers voice, but any other voice I wouldn't mind except for the clean vocals, but those can still have their place on ballads (it works on Catcher for example). Considering the live performances of songs like Jungle or with ACDC (Rock n roll thunder proves midrange rasp is still in him) I am very sure he can do no wrong over any Slash composition

5 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

I'm not a Myles hater. I think he sounds better than Axl on some Gn'R songs like Sweet Child these days. But he is still hit or miss for me.. I just think musically that the album was killer. Myles was good on some songs and not so much on others.. As I said, I like Myles it is just hard to digest a whole album of him.. He goes from sounding great, to generic and boring or annoying sounding. 

Axl's voice is anything but generic and I bet his melodies would be a bit more exciting. The music and songs were there, I just think Axl would have brought it to another level. 

2 people like this

Care to make it interesting @RussTCB? :P

Edited by Towelie
1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Fernando said if 2017 is looking good, 2018 will be looking brighter.

It's always darker before the dawn. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

It's always darker before the dawn. 

I like that saying...trying to think positively myself about this subject! :)

I think if it's CD II ft. Slash N Duff we could get that by late 2017. 

But Axl said not soon, so it's more like 5 years from now. 

This is not a prediction, but rather my favorite scenario for new (and 'old') music release:

If there is another GnR album I would rather they start fresh and release music written by the current lineup (primarily Axl/Slash/Duff I guess) and thus it truly will be new music. That being said, I really want to hear the rest of the material from CD-era as well. So I propose that the "CD II" material be sold off and released as movie soundtracks! :D

Edited by KiraMPD
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

This is not a prediction, but rather my favorite scenario for new (and 'old') music release:

If there is another GnR album I would rather they start fresh and release music written by the current lineup (primarily Axl/Slash/Duff I guess) and thus it truly will be new music. That being said, I really want to hear the rest of the material from CD-era as well. So I propose that the "CD II" material be sold off and released as movie soundtracks! :D

I hope Axl can swallow his pride and acknowledge that the band who recorded CD and CD II are just backing bands of him solo, they're not Guns N Roses. He should release the material as a solo record, that way everyone wins.

Probably not, I'm sure Slash could write an album in a month, but Axl is unlikely to work on new lyrics and whatnot. I find the concept of Slash recording over/changing CD II completed songs appalling, not because Buckethead or Robin are superior to him in any way, but because he's an entirely different songwriter.

14 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Probably not, I'm sure Slash could write an album in a month, but Axl is unlikely to work on new lyrics and whatnot. I find the concept of Slash recording over/changing CD II completed songs appalling, not because Buckethead or Robin are superior to him in any way, but because he's an entirely different songwriter.

Maybe Axl could take lyrics from songs in the vault and use them for new songs Slash or Fortus wrote. I mean why not?

Axl was saying he wanted to work from lyrics and melodies for the album like they did for AFD. Not build a wall of music for him to sing against like UYI and CD were done. 

But he also said he show Slash and Duff his material and they liked it, Slash can play on it if he wants. 

How that works out for a record is anyone's guess. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Maybe Axl could take lyrics from songs in the vault and use them for new songs Slash or Fortus wrote. I mean why not?

Because I don't think it works well that way. The lyrics usually come from inspiration from the music.

AFD was written lyrics first according to Axl. Like together I guess. 

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Because I don't think it works well that way. The lyrics usually come from inspiration from the music.

He doesn't want to write lyrics to music he said this several times. Lyrics of SCOM already existed before Slash ever came up with the riff. He must have a ton of lyrics by now, and it doesn't matter if they are tacked onto an unreleased song or if they are still just on a sheet of paper somewhere.

On 10/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, KiraMPD said:

Vocal melodies (not just the voice) make a big difference imo. For example if Myles had Coma or Locomotive or the riff of WTTJ, they would have been distinctively different songs, not the same songs with another singer and different lyrics.

I think the new album has a real chance at being the album of the decade, if not then easily best rock album of the decade.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

I think the new album has a real chance at being the album of the decade, if not then easily best rock album of the decade.

Wasn't the same thing said about CD lol

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wasn't the same thing said about CD lol

CD is the best rock record of... 2008. People were listening to Viva La Vida and Rock N Roll Train, I was listening to Better. You can't deny we had some great music in the '00s.

1 person likes this