What Are You Listening To 2017

Rovim

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this CD today called The Rare Groove Story and have been playing the shit out of it. It's all of these rare and obscure R&B/funk/disco artists from the 60's to the very early 80's.  Don't know how many peeps here are into this stuff but here ya go if you are.

Edited by Jabberwocky

On 1/7/2017 at 5:23 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Here's some more honest lyrics, I think she just liked him cause of what those "magic hands" could do lol.  (love these gals btw)

this post has been niggling at my mind for days! i remembered why today. i heard this story years ago:

"Magic Man" (1975)

Ann Wilson: I was living at home, going to art college and existing in this very staid, suburban state of being. Then I met a guy [Mike Fisher, early Heart band member and later their soundman and manager] and love just took over. He was the "magic man." I totally walked out of my parents' house and away from all the safety and all the assurance and went to Canada to follow him [Ed. note: Fisher had moved to Vancouver to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War]. And my mom was not sure it was a real good idea. She was like, "You are so young and immature! Do you even use birth control?" Back then you didn't talk to your mother about that kind of stuff. I think I was 21 but I was young for my age.

So the song is a story about leaving home. Lines like "Come on home, girl, Mama cried on the phone," that was real. We used to have these long conversations where she would go, "You get back here! You don't know what you're doing." I can remember how upset she was. She had no idea about the reality in the Seventies of girls and boys and free love and whatever, and she just expected the worst – that I was going to end up barefoot and pregnant and would come crawling back home and all that. She was dead set against it. She was formidable. But I won in this case.

25 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this post has been niggling at my mind for days! i remembered why today. i heard this story years ago:

"Magic Man" (1975)

Ann Wilson: I was living at home, going to art college and existing in this very staid, suburban state of being. Then I met a guy [Mike Fisher, early Heart band member and later their soundman and manager] and love just took over. He was the "magic man." I totally walked out of my parents' house and away from all the safety and all the assurance and went to Canada to follow him [Ed. note: Fisher had moved to Vancouver to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War]. And my mom was not sure it was a real good idea. She was like, "You are so young and immature! Do you even use birth control?" Back then you didn't talk to your mother about that kind of stuff. I think I was 21 but I was young for my age.

That's so interesting! I knew they fell in love, but I didn't know he was a draft dodger!

• Like 1