STEVE JONES on AXL ROSE (I Did You No Wrong) and DUFF/NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS on his new memoir LONELY BOY

ludurigan

There is a new STEVE JONES biography that has just been released

https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Boy-Tales-Sex-Pistol/dp/0306824817

I wonder if anyone has read it!

I am curious to know if Steve makes any mention to GUNS N ROSES in general and specially to AXL (who guested on his song "I DID YOU NO WRONG" from his album "Fire and Gasoline")

I am also curious to know what Steve has said about the NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS (which I am sure all of you guys know is the TERRIFIC band he played with DUFF, MATT and JOHN TAYLOR from Duran Duran)

oh, how wonderful is the internet...

google books gives the preview of this page of Steve Jones book on how he met Axl and recorded the song...

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=YTVQDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT209&lpg=PT209&dq=steve+jones+axl+rose+did+you+no+wrong&source=bl&ots=CxzEUY7hwu&sig=aaDBeRuO9a584xKEWudeRnkpars&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGps2d3aXRAhXEfZAKHVWUBUIQ6AEISDAI#v=onepage&q=steve%20jones%20axl%20rose%20did%20you%20no%20wrong&f=false

its just too bad how short and apparently sugar-coated that description is... specially because if my memory serves me right i remember that steve gave some interviews at the time (or a few years later) almost making fun of Axl and sorta claiming that he invited axl to sing on his record because GNR was on the top of the world at the time and he knew that axl would help boost sales of his album...

and google books gives some more...

there is not much also about the NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS

https://books.google.com.br/books?redir_esc=y&id=YTVQDAAAQBAJ&q=neurotic+outsiders#v=snippet&q=neurotic%20outsiders&f=false

interesting steve somehow says that no one could give 100% attention to Neurotic Outsiders because he was involved with the Sex Pistols reunion and "there was talk of guns n roses getting back together" so duff "had to rehearse"

i wonder if that's around the same time when izzy and duff wrote songs for GNR

1 hour ago, dalsh327 said:

The release date I have is Jan 10th, but I'll def. read the Pontiff's memoirs in the next few months. I'll prob. get the audio book if Jonesy's narrating.

should be fun to listen to jonesy

now what is pontiffs? the pope? is it a nickname for jonesy? sorry didnt understand!

13 hours ago, ludurigan said:

should be fun to listen to jonesy

now what is pontiffs? the pope? is it a nickname for jonesy? sorry didnt understand!

Yeah it's one of his nicknames on Jonesy's Jukebox (there's also radio archives on http://www.jonesysjukebox.com or listen to him live through http://www.955klos.com/ from 12-2PM California time/PST) 

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

Personally I'll be more interested to see what (if anything) he says about working with Iggy pop.

i am quite interested about that too

specially because jonesy wrote some terrific songs for iggy

if i am not mistaken, "beside you" -- which is like a perfect pop song - was written by jonesy

there are quite a few more good iggy songs written by jonesy

(if i am not mistaken)

id also love to find what he says about PHIL LYNOTT

they did the greedies together

Greedies.jpg

• Like 1

He mentions him twice to my recollection, very briefly.  Once was meeting him for the first time outside a club, the entire mention is no longer than a couple of sentences about meeting this excited looking guy outside a club who 'turned out to be Axl Rose'.  This was before GnR blew up.  The other mention, if my memory serves me correctly, is just him bringing up Axl and Slash in a comment about chemistry in bands and how the people often dont get along.

And thats about it as far as I can remember.  Very very little mention of Axl though, 3 or 4 sentences in total.

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

Personally I'll be more interested to see what (if anything) he says about working with Iggy pop.

Not a great deal though he does get mentioned, he doesnt really go into any details about Iggy or what he was like, think he mentions that like, it was a time where they were both cleaning up off of drugs.

Says next to nothing about The Greedies.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not a great deal though he does get mentioned, he doesnt really go into any details about Iggy or what he was like, think he mentions that like, it was a time where they were both cleaning up off of drugs.

Says next to nothing about The Greedies.

I'd love to know more about Blah Blah Blah/Instinct...I know only the basics about Jonesy but I pretty much figured he wouldn't say fuck all about anything like doing the Iggy albums, Greedies, Axl etc etc.

On that, geez Winners and Losers is a fucking great song.

Have never been a Pistols fan but love the stuff he did with le Ig.

12 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

I'd love to know more about Blah Blah Blah/Instinct...I know only the basics about Jonesy but I pretty much figured he wouldn't say fuck all about anything like doing the Iggy albums, Greedies, Axl etc etc.

On that, geez Winners and Losers is a fucking great song.

Have never been a Pistols fan but love the stuff he did with le Ig.

He doesn't really like...make his book about other people.  Also you've got to bear in mind that he's a bit of a working class clod and his book reads like it, he doesn't spend a lot of time doing like, deep searching evaluations of the people he worked with, it's not his way.  There's very little in the way of deep emotional fuckin' bollocks in it.  It's actually quite funny because every so often he'd come close to it, like when discussing this one bird who he was friends with...then sort of ruins it with the last sentence by going 'i think she fancied a portion but it weren't on the cards' or something :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He doesn't really like...make his book about other people.  Also you've got to bear in mind that he's a bit of a working class clod and his book reads like it, he doesn't spend a lot of time doing like, deep searching evaluations of the people he worked with, it's not his way.  There's very little in the way of deep emotional fuckin' bollocks in it.  It's actually quite funny because every so often he'd come close to it, like when discussing this one bird who he was friends with...then sort of ruins it with the last sentence by going 'i think she fancied a portion but it weren't on the cards' or something :lol:

Yeah sure, kinda figured as much. I'm more interested in the nuts and bolts of the process (creating music) rather than personality stories/gossip.

Theres not a lot of nuts and bolts of music either, pretty much just what was going on in his life without ever going really deep into things except when about The Pistols.

He makes Rotten out to be more of a cunt than I have ever felt he was.  Its best parts are as like...a window into pre-punk London.  Like what was going on with the working classes during the hippie era for those who weren't privvy to all the hippie stuff.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, J Dog said:

Fire and Gasoline is a solid album.

JMO but it is really a great straight a head rock album which should have gotten more airplay. I saw Jones and his solo band open for Ian Hunter/ Mick Ronson at Toads Place, a tiny grungy club in New Haven, CT., back in 1989. I have read the club holds a thousand people but the way the club  is setup I bet only half that many can see the stage.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-best-big-rooms-in-america-20130425/toad-s-place-in-new-haven-conn-19691231

When Jones went on as the opening act there were less than 100 people in front of the stage so I was standing right on front of him.

he had two young guitar players on Gibson LP's flanking him and he was playing his old white LP from the Pistols days. He played almost the whole Fire and Gasoline album and joked around between songs. he would strike pose and say to the crowd it was his rock star pose so he did not take himself too seriously. He played a great set that night.

His first solo album "Mercy" is also decent though has a more new wavy feel to it and is much more mellow.........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

Mercy is good too. But that Fire and Gasoline is really good, I agree it should've gotten more airplay and been much bigger, it was that good to me. That song with Axl isn't even one of the best songs, I like it though.

I guess Jones is kind of underrated as guitarist/songwriter. There is some really great guitar work on the Sex Pistols album, it kind of takes 2nd stage but it's there. Good riffs.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Mercy is good too. But that Fire and Gasoline is really good, I agree it should've gotten more airplay and been much bigger, it was that good to me. That song with Axl isn't even one of the best songs, I like it though.

I guess Jones is kind of underrated as guitarist/songwriter. There is some really great guitar work on the Sex Pistols album, it kind of takes 2nd stage but it's there. Good riffs.

Jonesy makes that album.  Its all pretty much heavily overdubbed cleanly produced stuff with little Chuck Berry-isms but it kinda...set a standard.  Nevermind (Nirvana) is an album really influenced by it.  Its really well paced too which makes it all the more powerful, its not double fast like most punk bands...and it kinda makes Johnny vocals all the more powerful cuz they're slowed down.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Jonesy makes that album.  Its all pretty much heavily overdubbed cleanly produced stuff with little Chuck Berry-isms but it kinda...set a standard.  Nevermind (Nirvana) is an album really influenced by it.  Its really well paced too which makes it all the more powerful, its not double fast like most punk bands...and it kinda makes Johnny vocals all the more powerful cuz they're slowed down.

Problem and Pretty Vacant are two bad ass guitar songs.

What is Black Leather from? That's one of my favorite songs on Spaghetti Incident but it's not on any of his solo albums.

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Problem and Pretty Vacant are two bad ass guitar songs.

What is Black Leather from? That's one of my favorite songs on Spaghetti Incident but it's not on any of his solo albums.

Its not from anywhere really, its certainly not a Pistols song, they had broken up and Jones and Cook recorded it as a song after they had broken up hoping to get the band back together with different players and eventually got released under the banner of The Sex Pistols but it was only really something Cook n Jones recorded after they had broken up and was put out on some third rate bootleg thing, Johnny Rotten would've died before he sang a song like that.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not from anywhere really, its certainly not a Pistols song, they had broken up and Jones and Cook recorded it as a song after they had broken up hoping to get the band back together with different players and eventually got released under the banner of The Sex Pistols but it was only really something Cook n Jones recorded after they had broken up and was put out on some third rate bootleg thing, Johnny Rotten would've died before he sang a song like that.

Cool cool. Yeah it definitely doesn't have a Rotten/Pistols feel to it. I like it though. I only like about half of TSI but that's one I can dig.

Edited by J Dog

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

Cool cool. Yeah it definitely doesn't have a Rotten/Pistols feel to it. I like it though. I only like about half of TSI but that's one I can dig.

Cook and Jones made a band called The Professionals after The Pistols, a little known band who were actually pretty quality and i believe the same folks who were in that band made up the rest of the band who made Black Leather, you should check em out, their album was called I Didnt See It Coming, they're a pretty good band, the first song off the album is like a Rotten diss, allegedly:

OK I looked for that song but couldn't find it, heres another though:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Cook and Jones made a band called The Professionals after The Pistols, a little known band who were actually pretty quality and i believe the same folks who were in that band made up the rest of the band who made Black Leather, you should check em out, their album was called I Didnt See It Coming, they're a pretty good band, the first song off the album is like a Rotten diss, allegedly:

OK I looked for that song but couldn't find it, heres another though:

I liked that. Again, that guitar. I'll check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, whatashame said:

can anybody copy and paste the Axl / Duff parts?

the links fast forward to the overview page

It's really not worth it man, there's very little mention, two entire sentences about Axl and no mention of Duff at all except when stating he was one of the people in Neurotic Outsiders.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1