What do you expect from a new album?

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Did I piss you off? I didn't mean to piss you off. What you wrote about Wicked Stone being as good or close to being as good to Nightrain was just silly to me. (musically) And then you talk about me being one dimensional cause I think it's infinitely better than Wicked Stone while praising World On Fire and WS...lost me there. Hence the facepalms.

Nightrain is a classic. It's about drinking? so what. Doesn't need to be deep or poetry. It's Gn'R and it's one of the best tunes they've ever recorded. Actually it's my favorite Guns tune. But to each his own I suppose. And I'm 12 years old. There's nothing wrong with that. My musical taste is in development. Maybe in the future I'll fully comprehend Slash's and Kennedy's musical vision. I'm so young, there is still plenty of time to evolve, perhaps even acquiring a similar taste in music like you, adding dimensions as the years go passing by.

You obviously didn't get the point, and I can not say that I am surprised. No I didn't call you one dimensional because you think Nightrain is better. I called you one dimensional because you choose to be a sockhead who judges a song by the circumstances under which it was released instead of just what the song is and what actually matters. Since you now atleast saw the light and stopped with your exiguous responses and actually seem to want to argue, I invite you to re-read my post and then when you understand it, you can quote me again and give a somewhat coherent response to what I actually argued instead of the grandiose "Nightrain is better".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You obviously didn't get the point, and I can not say that I am surprised. No I didn't call you one dimensional because you think Nightrain is better. I called you one dimensional because you choose to be a sockhead who judges a song by the circumstances under which it was released instead of just what the song is and what actually matters. Since you now atleast saw the light and stopped with your exiguous responses and actually seem to want to argue, I invite you to re-read my post and then when you understand it, you can quote me again and give a somewhat coherent response to what I actually argued instead of the grandiose "Nightrain is better".

lol obviously. What made you come to that conclusion? how can you even know I judge songs by that criteria? ridiculous. That came from your imagination. I do judge it based on the song and only the song. Always. I don't need to read what you wrote again, I fully understood what you meant. Here, I'll be somewhat coherent:

Nightrain is better, unless you got shit taste. (in music)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I'm thinking I'd like to hear like an AFD 2. And no I don't mean try to recreate AFD or an actual sequel or anything silly like that. Just give me 12 songs or so of some fucking straight ahead rock n roll with maybe a ballad or two. Big guitars from Slash, some real fucking bass from Duff, and Axl bringing his AXL/DC voice.

But in all realness I'll take what the fuck ever they do. Just as long as they do something.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

lol obviously. What made you come to that conclusion? how can you even know I judge songs by that criteria? ridiculous. That came from your imagination. I do judge it based on the song and only the song. Always. I don't need to read what you wrote again, I fully understood what you meant. Here, I'll be somewhat coherent:

Nightrain is better, unless you got shit taste. (in music)

Jesus Christ I actually believe you now that you're 12.

For the sake of the thread I insist we discuss this in PMs if you so wish, before it derails completely into this debate of argument you chose to cherrypick out of my earlier post.

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I'm thinking I'd like to hear like an AFD 2. And no I don't mean try to recreate AFD or an actual sequel or anything silly like that. Just give me 12 songs or so of some fucking straight ahead rock n roll with maybe a ballad or two. Big guitars from Slash, some real fucking bass from Duff, and Axl bringing his AXL/DC voice.

But in all realness I'll take what the fuck ever they do. Just as long as they do something.

I see it much the same way. I hope they really will want to make a statement and try to recreate a consistent record like AFD from the ground up with hard rocking new songs and with everyone contributing (except I dont care for Melissas input). But I'll also take whatever they will release at this point.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, J Dog said:

^^^^ this! great post @J Dog i totally agree :)

An Appetite type album won't work anymore. Think about them. Old, fat, rich as fuck. Appetite was made by almost different people. Young and hungry with nothing to lose.

And they had Izzy and Steven. Not even sure old Guns circa 1990 could recreate that magic, it really was lightning in a bottle, that's over now. It's better they at least attempt to move forward.

Axl said he's not on the Nightrain anymore. I don't think those themes are relevant to him. 50 plus year old men writing Sweet Child O'Mine part 2 could be a huge success among pedophiles. No thanks.

Why does it have to be boneheaded to rock hard anyway? I'm more interested in lyrics that touch on themes Axl actually feels strongly about, whatever those are. Like Appetite, Lies, and Illusions were at the time.

It cannot be truly great if you don't mean it. Can't fake that shit. Axl never faked it.

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

An Appetite type album won't work anymore. Think about them. Old, fat, rich as fuck. Appetite was made by almost different people. Young and hungry with nothing to lose.

And they had Izzy and Steven. Not even sure old Guns circa 1990 could recreate that magic, it really was lightning in a bottle, that's over now. It's better they at least attempt to move forward.

Axl said he's not on the Nightrain anymore. I don't think those themes are relevant to him. 50 plus year old men writing Sweet Child O'Mine part 2 could be a success among pedophiles. No thanks.

Why does it have to be boneheaded to rock hard anyway? I'm more interested in lyrics that touch on themes Axl actually feels strongly about, whatever those are. Like Appetite, Lies, and Illusions were at the time.

It cannot be truly great if you don't mean it. Can't fake that shit. Axl never faked it.

I don't see why they have to fake anything to make a bad ass rock album. Lyrics don't have to be about getting shitfaced and banging hoes to be a good hard rock album and straight forward rock doesn't automatically equal bonehead. Axl can write about all his deep themes and whatever conflict his inner self is fighting or whatever, he can be as personal and deep thinking as he wants to be, and it can still be made to sound like good rock n roll.

• Like 1

A new álbum would probably contains something bewteen better, sftd and easy.  Some kind of sound with all those roots. 

I just wonder how will they add the "EPIC GNR FACTOR" to that mix, but i trust 300% in slash and axls taste and talent to do it.

I know so far it looks like we're getting about 4 songs .  but it would be so much better and fear if they do this:

10 songs:  4 axl songs, 3 slash songs, 2 duff songs and 1 cover ( my dream is a gnr cover of "stairway to heaven".  Theres noone better in the world to do that.  Slash guitar, axls voice and style.. Oh lord)

But whatever it is, im pretty sure we're gonna get new stuff at some point this year.

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I don't see why they have to fake anything to make a bad ass rock album. Lyrics don't have to be about getting shitfaced and banging hoes to be a good hard rock album and straight forward rock doesn't automatically equal bonehead. Axl can write about all his deep themes and whatever conflict his inner self is fighting or whatever, he can be as personal and deep thinking as he wants to be, and it can still be made to sound like good rock n roll.

But is that what Axl wants to do? why make an alternative rock album and then say very recently he enjoys playing Chinese material live the most? could it be cause that reflects him better as an artist now? and why say Slash can be a part of it if he wants to? not quite as saying something like: "now that Slash is back, we're gonna make a harder rocking album and replace all of the previously recorded guitars with Slash".

I care about Axl doing what he wants to do cause I believe a better product could come of it. He sang Chinese in a clean vocal tone for the most part. Everything he headed towards artistically is what he wanted to do. I just want him to continue to produce music in that way.

To me Chinese was good. And Slash made it clear to me that even existing material, some of it at least, could work with Slash making it more hard rock. I just don't want them to make it a fuck yeah album.

Axl even said he wants to start from lyrics and melodies first, why did he say that? I think probably cause he wants it to be relevant and finds it easier to find the themes he wants to write about doing it that way compared to music first which dictates the direction too much. Just a guess though.

41 minutes ago, Evil Doer said:

i'm greedy

Greed is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the nostalgic spirit. Greed, in one of it's forms: greed for salaries, for cheese, for cash, coin... has marked the upward surge of Axl Rose and greed... you mark my words: will not only save Slash's bank account, but that other malfunctioning corporation called Guns N' Roses.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

A new álbum would probably contains something between better, sftd and easy.  Some kind of sound with all those roots. 

I just wonder how will they add the "EPIC GNR FACTOR" to that mix, but i trust 300% in slash and axls taste and talent to do it.

I know so far it looks like we're getting about 4 songs .  but it would be so much better and fear if they do this:

10 songs:  4 axl songs, 3 slash songs, 2 duff songs and 1 cover ( my dream is a gnr cover of "stairway to heaven".  Theres noone better in the world to do that.  Slash guitar, axls voice and style.. Oh lord)

But whatever it is, im pretty sure we're gonna get new stuff at some point this year.

• Like 1

I hope they will make the album from scratch. Some kind of mix of AFD+UYI(not the sound but the melodies) with some salt and pepper of CD and Smkc. And can't wait to hear Duff's addings on it.
About lyrics well I don't know what to expect. I hope more reflections about the happenings in the world this time.

As extra I would like to have Izzy's contribute to the album. And Steven.

Edited by Pixeb
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But is that what Axl wants to do? why make an alternative rock album and then say very recently he enjoys playing Chinese material live the most? could it be cause that reflects him better as an artist now? and why say Slash can be a part of it if he wants to? not quite as saying something like: "now that Slash is back, we're gonna make a harder rocking album and replace all of the previously recorded guitars with Slash".

I care about Axl doing what he wants to do cause I believe a better product could come of it. He sang Chinese in a clean vocal tone for the most part. Everything he headed towards artistically is what he wanted to do. I just want him to continue to produce music in that way.

To me Chinese was good. And Slash made it clear to me that even existing material, some of it at least, could work with Slash making it more hard rock. I just don't want them to make it a fuck yeah album.

Axl even said he wants to start from lyrics and melodies first, why did he say that? I think probably cause he wants it to be relevant and finds it easier to find the themes he wants to write about doing it that way compared to music first which dictates the direction too much. Just a guess though.

I liked CD for the most part too. But straight up rock doesn't have to be fuck yeah. I don't even consider AFD a fuck yeah album and I don't see Axl/Slash/Duff wanting to make an album like that. Some good, guitar based rock n roll with some of Axl's inner cd self, that will be fine for me. But who knows, these fuckers might not record a damn thing so it's all good homie.

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

But straight up rock doesn't have to be fuck yeah. I don't even consider AFD a fuck yeah album and I don't see Axl/Slash/Duff wanting to make an album like that

what is a f*ck yeah album exactly?

14 minutes ago, Pixeb said:

As extra I would like to have Izzy's contribute to the album. And Steven.

from your lips! that would be everything for me :)

If they do a record I hope they do it together. I don't want a record being putting together with 4 Axl songs, 4 Slash songs, 2 Duff songs. 

Take the best ideas of each, combine them, work on them, create something new. Work on them as a band. Everybody should focus on what he can do best. Axl: vocals and melodys, musical direction/song structure.

Slash: riffs, solos and guitar melodys, complete other people's ideas.

Duff: Fix the rhythm part, musical background and arrangements

Izzy's missing and I don't know what input Richard is able bring to the band. Maybe it's something that fits but Izzy's part needs the three core members to be replaced. Maybe Axl is the most suitable for that, but all together they should be able to create something worth the legacy.

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

If they do a record I hope they do it together. I don't want a record being putting together with 4 Axl songs, 4 Slash songs, 2 Duff songs. 

Take the best ideas of each, combine them, work on them, create something new. Work on them as a band. Everybody should focus on what he can do best. Axl: vocals and melodys, musical direction/song structure.

Slash: riffs, solos and guitar melodys, complete other people's ideas.

Duff: Fix the rhythm part, musical background and arrangements

Izzy's missing and I don't know what input Richard is able bring to the band. Maybe it's something that fits but Izzy's part needs the three core members to be replaced. Maybe Axl is the most suitable for that, but all together they should be able to create something worth the legacy.

I'd feel better if Izzy was involved as opposed to Fortus. He plays good but as far as making new music goes I don't know about him. But if Slash and Duff can make two pretty good albums with Scott Weiland bless his soul, then they can make something good with Axl Rose.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't necessarily agree with that in the case of Slash, for me World On Fire was just so consistent over 17 songs from full blown epics to metallic rockers to the standard blues rockers, and every solo was just great. In terms of quality, when it comes down to the music, a song like Nightrain is not that different from a song like Wicked Stone. It was just everything I'd ever expect to hear from the guy. What I cannot say for certain is how Fortus stacks up. I'm sure Axl is still a great lyricist and I've always liked Duffs songwriting. For me Slash has released some of his best songs this late in his career, like Back From Cali, By The Sword and a ton of great fucking riffs (but not that good songs) like Dirty Girl or Withered Delilah. If the band just lets Slash do his thing and Axl sings over it there is no way it will be disappointing.

What would be ideal is if they invited Izzy to write songs with Slash and Duff like in 95. That doesn't mean he's back in the band, and I don't expect him to return since it appears Fortus is not going anywhere. But his songwriting would be massively useful for the band and knowing that Izzy is involved in writing would bring my hopes up a LOT.

I didn't mean to imply he can't write good stuff anymore, but when it comes down to songwriting, most songwriters write their best stuff early on. I agree that's not the case for every songwriter. But in GnR's case, they set the bar pretty high with AFD and UYI and I think it will be really hard for them to top those albums, especially if they are missing a prolific songwriter like Izzy. The way the AFD songs came to life was a once in a lifetime scenario anyway and that will never happen anymore. So for the majority of fans it will probably be disappointing. That doesn't mean it won't be any good... but I think most fans won't accept any less. Like with CD... there's some good stuff on there, but it can't touch the previous albums, so for a lot of fans it simply wasn't good enough. I can imagine that happening with a possible new album too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I liked CD for the most part too. But straight up rock doesn't have to be fuck yeah. I don't even consider AFD a fuck yeah album and I don't see Axl/Slash/Duff wanting to make an album like that. Some good, guitar based rock n roll with some of Axl's inner cd self, that will be fine for me. But who knows, these fuckers might not record a damn thing so it's all good homie.

Don't get me wrong: fat people can rock hard. Appetite was genuine, I just meant if they thematically go down in that road now, lyrically. But musically? it's probably gonna have Slash and Duff on it, so I imagine it's gonna rock pretty hard. Slash rocks. It's what he does. (not only but mostly)

I think there's a place for Axl to explore and inject his wizard of oz vibe to the material and for Slash and Duff to do their thing as well. My guess is it could be something between Illusions and Chinese (like wasted said) only with no Izzy tunes.

General themes about dictators that are out ta execute, evil bald men, and ballads about sweet unprotected sex with strangers.

Edited by Rovim