The final numbers are in - and they are highly inconsistent...

On 1/8/2017 at 2:14 PM, sibidy7 said:

And GNR plays the same city two nights in a row and doesn't have the decency to change even one song.

How unbelievably boring

Couldn't agree more. They also flew the only drummer fans care about halfway across the world to have him play 1 song per gig for 2 gigs. 2 different songs over 2 nights. That was it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well, I wouldn't agree with your assessment, but then again! I didn't agree with any of the other nonsense you were spouting, I'm just a little less into arguing about trivial nonsense :D Good luck with your alternative reality!

What nonesense? you probably don't have anything to backup your silly little opinion. You said something silly, I've explained why I thought it was silly. You have imagined I was so into it and now you make it about me. The only alternate reality here is accepting a guess like it was fact and that is that Guns sold 100 mil.

6 hours ago, wasted said:

That sounds believable to me. I read it was a good seller. 

Same here. It sold more than Chinese. That number does make sense. But it still doesn't make the 100 mil statement anymore believable to me. Even if it sold 5 mil.

Edited by Rovim

12 hours ago, Bono said:

It's hard to imagine in this day and age anyone will ever surpass U2's 360 tour. I think they earned just over $730 million on that tour. Almost $200 million ahead of the next closest tour. I don't know how any band will ever do numbers like that 360 tour ever again. 

Coldplay could with their AHFOD tour...

Or Guns could if they don't rename their tour and continue with multiple legs in 2018-19..

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

What nonesense? you probably don't have anything to backup your silly little opinion. You said something silly, I've explained why I thought it was silly. You have imagined I was so into it and now you make it about me. The only alternate reality here is accepting a guess like it was fact and that is that Guns sold 100 mil.

Same here. It sold more than Chinese. That number does make sense. But it still doesn't make the 100 mil statement anymore believable to me. Even if it sold 5 mil.

I guess AFD sold 50 mil world wide?

UYI maybe 35 mil between them world wide. I remember Matt saying that was Axl's goal. 

Actually Wikipedia says AFD only sold 30 mil worldwide. And UYI I sold 5 mil in the US. 

So i doubt 100 mil is right. But rounding up in an article probably happens. 

Maybe 70 mil is more like it. 

Edited by wasted

6 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

He won the electoral college. That is all that matters. The U.S is a Republic, not a pure democracy. No mob rule here.  He won the popular vote of the individual states he needed to win. 

I'm not arguing that he didn't legitimacy win the election. My point is there are some people who don't believe  that he lost the popular  vote, and by a lot, and insist he won the popular  vote. Same kind of people who insist that GN'R did not sell over 100 million  albums.

And the electoral  college  sucks, btw. But that's for another thread.

7 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

I'm not arguing that he didn't legitimacy win the election. My point is there are some people who don't believe  that he lost the popular  vote, and by a lot, and insist he won the popular  vote. Same kind of people who insist that GN'R did not sell over 100 million  albums.

And the electoral  college  sucks, btw. But that's for another thread.

How is that the same as Gn'R? do you seriously believe what you're saying here? saying Gn'R sold 100 mil is a guess not different in any way than not believing Guns sold that many records. Duff questioned it as well and he is a band member!

Edited by Rovim

On zondag 8 januari 2017 at 9:33 PM, Thorbear said:

And with Bruce it's just him and the band onstage with some spotlights. No lasers, no pyro, no backdrop changes or video-screen graphics which certainly makes it easier for him to change songs on a whim.

How I wish it was just GNR onstage with some spotlights.  How cheesy is the new stage setup.  How cheesy it has been since 2001...

Slash's solo shows are just amps on stage and a backdrop.  That's what a real rock n' roll band looks like.

Static setlists because of the ridiculous stage setup is the lamest excuse ever.  Get rid of the circus show.  Except for 'Coma' and the occasional 'Yesterdays' or whatever, they're playing the same stuff they've been playing seperately for years and years.  To be honest, that's just lazy...

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

Listen carefully: I think there is no way in hell Guns sold 100 mil albums. Not even close.

You're wrong.

AFD : over 33 million worldwide

Lies : over 5 million in the US alone

UYI 1 + 2 : over 30 million worldwide combined

UYI (walmart + kmart edition) : over 1 million in the US

TSI : over 1 million in the US alone

Live Era : over 500.000 in the US alone

GH : over 10 million worldwide

CD : over 2.6 million worldwide

= 83.1 million.

If you factor in worldwide sales for Lies, TSI and Live Era + all the singles, it'll be pretty close...

12 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You're wrong.

AFD : over 33 million worldwide

Lies : over 5 million in the US alone

UYI 1 + 2 : over 30 million worldwide combined

UYI (walmart + kmart edition) : over 1 million in the US

TSI : over 1 million in the US alone

Live Era : over 500.000 in the US alone

GH : over 10 million worldwide

CD : over 2.6 million worldwide

= 83.1 million.

If you factor in worldwide sales for Lies, TSI and Live Era + all the singles, it'll be pretty close...

Source. And how am I wrong exactly? even if these numbers are real? 70 to 80 million is not 100 mil. Factor in worldwide sales? ok, but what is your source for worldwide sales? you're going to round those numbers up? that's not real numbers. I'm not wrong.

11 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Coldplay could with their AHFOD tour...

Or Guns could if they don't rename their tour and continue with multiple legs in 2018-19..

NO they can't.  Look at the numbers where the currently are and where they need to get to. Coldplay's total so far is just more than the difference between U2's total and the next closest tour. Coldplay and GnR are not going to gross $740 million. 

There's literally no excuse for GNR playing the same set every night. Let's look at this realistically... There's about six or seven songs Guns HAVE to play at every show, Jungle, Nightrain, Sweet Child, Paradise, YCBM and Nov Rain... that's about it. I mean, there would be a big chunk of the audience who would be pissed if they came to see a GNR gig and didn't get to see those songs played. But they could fill up the rest of the set with anything from their catalogue.

Joe Bloggs who owns GNR's Greatest Hits and maybe AFD would probably take a piss break during Coma, and probably wouldn't recognise Estranged or Double Talkin Jive anymore than they would TWAT or Prostitute. There is one reason and one reason only why Guns don't vary their setlist more, and it's the same reason why Guns don't release new music: Axl Rose can't be bothered. 

• Like 1

Funny because Coldplay with A Head Full Of Dreams tour is going to be a lot more successful than Not In This Lifetime tour with the same amount of shows (+100). Beyonce and Bruce Springsteen are also doing a lot better but they're not expanding their tours as widely as Coldplay and GN'R.

Coldplay is expecting to have the third most lucrative tour of all time and GN'R fourth behind U2 and The Rolling Stones. If not, somewhere between Roger Waters, AC/DC and Madonna.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Funny because Coldplay with A Head Full Of Dreams tour is going to be a lot more successful than Not In This Lifetime tour with the same amount of shows (+100). Beyonce and Bruce Springsteen are also doing a lot better but they're not expanding their tours as widely as Coldplay and GN'R.

Coldplay is expecting to have the third most lucrative tour of all time and GN'R fourth behind U2 and The Rolling Stones. If not, somewhere between Roger Waters, AC/DC and Madonna.

Coldplay is slaying everyone.. only ignorant people do not accept their triumphs...

just look at their massive number of tickets sold... 100% sold out every show.. no one's ever done that

10 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Coldplay is slaying everyone.. only ignorant people do not accept their triumphs...

just look at their massive number of tickets sold... 100% sold out every show.. no one's ever done that

Beyonce sold out every show with better figures, not only that she crushed it with less than fifty shows in the US and Europe. I think her tour is over though. I kinda understand that. If she wanted she'd be on top.

As far as Coldplay, I think they're playing it smart, not blowing their loads too early (many arenas in the first leg and odd cities etc.) and trying more popular markets with their second leg in Europe and US. They're doing three Stade De France (80K) this summer right after GN'R which is pretty impressive.

Of course GN'R is kinda a R-rated band. So it's different. Sadly they could have done a lot more shows in Europe. We'll see how it turns out.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2017 at 1:49 AM, Original said:

Zeppelin O2.   Just go kick ass.  We dont  need to see pyro and solos and 19 wardrobe changes.  

I actually thought that was a really poor performance by both Page and Plant. JPJ was on point as ever and Jason is a beast. But Robert didn't come alive until the encore and Jimmy Page butchered pretty much every single solo.

Also... why no COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN! :o

To be fair, GN'R have only done two legs so far and a few warm up shows. I guarantee they'll be the top earners in 2017 and the NITL tour by the time it's finished will have grossed more than the Black Ice tour. It'd be cool if they beat the 360 tour but I doubt they will.

Still, not bad for a bunch of estranged pals playing shit that's over 25 years old.

It will definitely be the most successful "reunion" tour of all time by a significant amount.

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Beyonce sold out every show with better figures, not only that she crushed it with less than fifty shows in the US and Europe. I think her tour is over though. I kinda understand that. If she wanted she'd be on top.

As far as Coldplay, I think they're playing it smart, not blowing their loads too early (many arenas in the first leg and odd cities etc.) and trying more popular markets with their second leg in Europe and US. They're doing three Stade De France (80K) this summer right after GN'R which is pretty impressive.

Of course GN'R is kinda a R-rated band. So it's different. Sadly they could have done a lot more shows in Europe. We'll see how it turns out.

Actually had to check her numbers, almost every show had some parts curtained off outside UK. Espirit Arena has 65k capacity and she had 34k, Letzigrund around 45k and she had 25k, San Siro around 70k and she had 50k... Coldplay played in some of those places and sold out full capacity. Their smallest European show had 43k people which is :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

To be fair, GN'R have only done two legs so far and a few warm up shows. I guarantee they'll be the top earners in 2017 and the NITL tour by the time it's finished will have grossed more than the Black Ice tour. It'd be cool if they beat the 360 tour but I doubt they will.

Still, not bad for a bunch of estranged pals playing shit that's over 25 years old.

It will definitely be the most successful "reunion" tour of all time by a significant amount.

Don't think they are going to "earn" more than Coldplay this year based on the stadiums being played and dates.  (Coldplay have sold out two nights at Stade De France, that seats 80K).

• Like 1

Well,Not in this liftime earned about 200.000.000 $ in 2016 (source wikipedia).

In 2017 with Dates after North America they will played more shows and I except they will be about 500.000.000$.Not in this liftime will be one of the biggest tours ever.Maybe not first or second but in 5 apsolutely

With the same average revenue per show in the continuation of the tour, GN'R will end up at a total of $411,000,000 come September 8, 2017.

Now, if they continue on beyond this (with Rock in Rio as good as confirmed, it's likely), I think they can reach a number 2 spot on the all-time list. We have to factor in a decline in attendance if they start playing the same cities twice (see Mexico City's second numbers).

Looks like Beyonce is gonna headline Coachella. Looking good for another stadium leg in Europe.

Coldplay and Beyonce figures are slightly better than GN'R worldwide. The advantage of GN'R is that they could take the Not In This Lifetime tour on the road again in 2018 and doing more shows.

Edited by Silent Jay