Acoustic cover of You could be mine

ragamuffin

If you're gonna cover a track like that actually do something with it, dont try and sing like Axl cuz you'll only look a cunt.  It could actually probably come off quite well if you just sung it low and quiet, maybe do what Dylan does to his own work and fuck with the time of it.  Now i think about it that song would sound great done accoustically by a Johnny Cash type voice.  Probably be more convincing too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

If you're gonna cover a track like that actually do something with it, dont try and sing like Axl cuz you'll only look a cunt.  It could actually probably come off quite well if you just sung it low and quiet, maybe do what Dylan does to his own work and fuck with the time of it.  Now i think about it that song would sound great done accoustically by a Johnny Cash type voice.  Probably be more convincing too.

see that is what i think is constructive criticism. good post Len :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

30 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You know what i mean :lol:. Its just a quicker way of saying 'you wont be able to do it, you'll look foolish trying' :lol:

I'm surprised he didn't get the shit kicked out of him by the crowd or at the very least a bottle of piss to the head. (there goes Kid Rock!) Your Cash idea is actually very good. I can hear it. Cuntstructive criticism.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

You know what i mean :lol:. Its just a quicker way of saying 'you wont be able to do it, you'll look foolish trying' :lol:

I think the reason for that is Axl himself was teetering on the edge of sounding absolutely ridiculous alot of the time, but he managed to pull it off somehow. What chance has any other fucker got really?.

I guess you could say that about covering the band in general, they are a difficult one to pull off. I mean you might have the technical ability but that's only a very small ingredient to what made their music really interesting.. most people don't have those ingredients.

Edited by Silverburst80

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I think the reason for that is Axl himself was teetering on the edge of sounding absolutely ridiculous alot of the time, but he managed to pull it off somehow. What chance has any other fucker got really?.

I guess you could say that about covering the band in general, they are a difficult one to pull off. I mean you might have the technical ability but that's only a very small ingredient to what made their music really interesting.. most people don't have those ingredients.

Thing about GnR is they actually make quite beautiful songs, if you strip em down, in terms of structure, melody, they're actually nice songs but you've got to bring a bit of yourself to em i think or it'll come off naff.  They are quite difficult to cover yeah, especially vocally cuz Axl really put his mark on those songs, not just in terms of him being a good singer (which he is) but just the whole thing of his voice, cuz lots of people have good, even great voices but you can still cover em respectably, like Sam Cooke for example, you never sound as good but you sound alright because his voice fits a template, an archetype (though it's one of his own creation), Axl is like Robert Plant on steroids...but even thats a disservice as a description, his voice is really really really unique.  Bit of the cunt from Nazareth in there.  Point being if you're gonna do it you've really got to do it as yourself, try and sound like GnR and it won't cut it.  Or like Axl.  But the songs are solid to a point where, like, for example simple songs, three or four chord ones, well structured ones, you can alter the time signatures and the emphasises and accents on it and take the song somewhere different, thats the best way i think to approach things.  Used to Love Her is dying to be covered...as is the accoustic You're Crazy, or One in a Million, or Patience or Dust n Bones or 13 years or Locomotive.  

It's a curiosity though isn't it?  They're difficult to cover as a band and they are also crap at covering.  The best GnR cover i ever heard was Whole Lotta Rosie, SIDHU, Jumpin Jack Flash...most of the rest were just bollocks but the covers they were good at, to me, tell me that basically GnR were at their best and are in their niche when they are catering to like, Stonesy type music, as in Rolling Stones.  Guns n Roses are really a rock n roll band.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing about GnR is they actually make quite beautiful songs, if you strip em down, in terms of structure, melody, they're actually nice songs but you've got to bring a bit of yourself to em i think or it'll come off naff.  They are quite difficult to cover yeah, especially vocally cuz Axl really put his mark on those songs, not just in terms of him being a good singer (which he is) but just the whole thing of his voice, cuz lots of people have good, even great voices but you can still cover em respectably, like Sam Cooke for example, you never sound as good but you sound alright because his voice fits a template, an archetype (though it's one of his own creation), Axl is like Robert Plant on steroids...but even thats a disservice as a description, his voice is really really really unique.  Bit of the cunt from Nazareth in there.  Point being if you're gonna do it you've really got to do it as yourself, try and sound like GnR and it won't cut it.  Or like Axl.  But the songs are solid to a point where, like, for example simple songs, three or four chord ones, well structured ones, you can alter the time signatures and the emphasises and accents on it and take the song somewhere different, thats the best way i think to approach things.  Used to Love Her is dying to be covered...as is the accoustic You're Crazy, or One in a Million, or Patience or Dust n Bones or 13 years or Locomotive.  

It's a curiosity though isn't it?  They're difficult to cover as a band and they are also crap at covering.  The best GnR cover i ever heard was Whole Lotta Rosie, SIDHU, Jumpin Jack Flash...most of the rest were just bollocks but the covers they were good at, to me, tell me that basically GnR were at their best and are in their niche when they are catering to like, Stonesy type music, as in Rolling Stones.  Guns n Roses are really a rock n roll band.

Yeah that's what i mean about Axl. Of course vocally he's a monster but he has these i guess what you would call "eccentricities", y'know the " more-oow-woors" and the " my-eee-yiiines" that any other person is going to look a fool doing. You are right when you get down to the bare bones of it they did write quite sophisticated songs and when it comes to covers this is by far my favourite of them, in fact i find it quite moving, a lady playing the composition of Estranged (vocally and musically) just on her piano.