Is it true that Axl's voice improve during later parts of a tour?

It's true that as the tour progresses his voice improves, and usually he's weaker on the opening nights. He should be pretty much there from the get go, but he usually isn't... which is surprising considering that he's essentially payed the same set of songs and in the same order for over 15yrs... he should be pretty conditioned to get through it and know what he needs to do to feel good so he can sound good. Bullshit to know that you're getting a lesser show because you're going to the first show of the tour. If you go see U2 (or any other giant band), Bono is gonna be on form regardless of whether it's the first or last gig.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It's true that as the tour progresses his voice improves, and usually he's weaker on the opening nights. He should be pretty much there from the get go, but he usually isn't... which is surprising considering that he's essentially payed the same set of songs and in the same order for over 15yrs... he should be pretty conditioned to get through it and know what he needs to do to feel good so he can sound good. Bullshit to know that you're getting a lesser show because you're going to the first show of the tour. If you go see U2 (or any other giant band), Bono is gonna be on form regardless of whether it's the first or last gig.

comparing Axl and Bono is more than comparing apples and oranges. Bono sounds the same cos he doesn't have the range Axl does. when has anyone complained oh Bono doesn't have the rasp all the time? not to be mean, JMO totally...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

comparing Axl and Bono is more than comparing apples and oranges. Bono sounds the same cos he doesn't have the range Axl does. when has anyone complained oh Bono doesn't have the rasp all the time? not to be mean, JMO totally...

Bono isn't an aggressive singer, but his range, especially on the older material was quite high and when he sings it 30 years later he's still really good (And I'm not a big U2 fan). Bono was my example for someone who knows the score when it comes to touring, he starts preparations months before they hit the road so he doesn't give a half power performance on opening night; I was not saying that Axl and Bono are stylistically similar.

If you want a more Axl(ish) singer, Sammy Hagar, Steven Tyler... both of which are older, and seemingly wiser when it comes to performing consistently live.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Bono isn't an aggressive singer, but his range, especially on the older material was quite high and when he sings it 30 years later he's still really good (And I'm not a big U2 fan). Bono was my example for someone who knows the score when it comes to touring, he starts preparations months before they hit the road so he doesn't give a half power performance on opening night; I was not saying that Axl and Bono are stylistically similar.

If you want a more Axl(ish) singer, Sammy Hagar, Steven Tyler... both of which are older, and seemingly wiser when it comes to performing consistently live.

idk about them i was just responding to the comparison about Axl. call me greatly prejudiced but i adore Axl and hate when people call him out. i will be honest i didn't get into GN'R as soon as most of the people here did but now that i have i will defend him to the death. and even if people disagree there has to be some reason for this, no? 

A new list, pulled together by Concert Hotels, compares singers' vocal ranges across their recordings. Bizarrely, Guns'N'Roses' chief squawker Axl Rose takes pole position with a five-octave F1 – B♭6 range. The silver spot goes to Mariah Carey, with Prince, Steven Tyler and James Brown rounding out the Top 5.May 20, 2014

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

Not totally right about Steven Tyler, I have seen Aerosmith five times and he was not as good at two of the shows I saw. At one of them, he was having major problems and kept going to the side of the stage and they were spraying his throat with what the radio station later reported was something to numb throat pain.:blink:

As far as Axl goes, he did a few AC DC shows then back to GNR and then back to AC DC then back to GNR. That had to have been a problem and he did mention taking a voice coach on tour to keep him from screwing his voice up doing AC DC. But for the most part, I think he did very well. ;)

12 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

idk about them i was just responding to the comparison about Axl. call me greatly prejudiced but i adore Axl and hate when people call him out. i will be honest i didn't get into GN'R as soon as most of the people here did but now that i have i will defend him to the death. and even if people disagree there has to be some reason for this, no? 

A new list, pulled together by Concert Hotels, compares singers' vocal ranges across their recordings. Bizarrely, Guns'N'Roses' chief squawker Axl Rose takes pole position with a five-octave F1 – B♭6 range. The silver spot goes to Mariah Carey, with Prince, Steven Tyler and James Brown rounding out the Top 5.May 20, 2014

That's only because I haven't releaseed any albums :D

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I'm not talking about range, i'm just taking about the guy not preparing to the same level as other pro singers before a tour.

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

In January 1991, Rock in Rio, Axl hadnt toured for 2 years and hadnt sing a full concert for more than a year and he sounded TERRIFIC

Not really, no. Especially the first night (I think) he was quite off. He couldn't pull SCOM, there were omitted parts etc. Still an awesome performance, of course, however, the pause was clearly noticeable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not really, no. Especially the first night (I think) he was quite off. He couldn't pull SCOM, there were omitted parts etc. Still an awesome performance, of course, however, the pause was clearly noticeable.

quite off?

couldnt pull sweet child o mine?

are you completely NUTS?

this is one one the most magnificent performances EVER by a rock singer (and a rock band)

(in the final part of the show in a very hot and umid january nigh at the very peak of the summer heat in Rio de Janeiro) 

oh, and have you checked how axl sounded a  few months later mid-year 1991?

do you think that "the touring" is clearly noticeable?

19 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

quite off?

are you completely NUTS?

this is one one the most magnificent performances EVER by a rock singer (and a rock band)

(in the final part of the show in a very hot and umid january nigh at the very peak of the summer heat in Rio de Janeiro) 

Unfortunately your post is devoid of facts.   The Rio show was in January, the Indiana show was in May.  But the Indiana show was actually at the beginning of the tour, they didn't play any gigs between Rio until the beginning of May.  Then in May they had only played 5 shows before the Indiana vid you posted.

Additionally it is well documented Axl had bronchitis at the Indiana shows.  Not really a valid comparison at all.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ludurigan said:

In January 1991, Rock in Rio, Axl hadnt toured for 2 years and hadnt sing a full concert for more than a year and he sounded TERRIFIC

And he was 28 years old...not mid 50's.  "Old at heart but I'm only 28...."

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

quite off?

are you completely NUTS?

I didn't say it was bad, but come on. He is leaving out many notes and finesses, the end is not as good as in different shows, the voice sometimes struggles... Still not saying it blew.
Anyway, I guess our POV just differs here. If I want to see some of his "most magnificent performances", I'll watch some 1992/93 show, especially Argentina. Of course, some of the 1991 ones were great too, and I still like Rio, it's just he wasn't at his best there IMO, that's all.

57 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Unfortunately your post is devoid of facts.   The Rio show was in January, the Indiana show was in May.  But the Indiana show was actually at the beginning of the tour, they didn't play any gigs between Rio until the beginning of May.  Then in May they had only played 5 shows before the Indiana vid you posted.

Additionally it is well documented Axl had bronchitis at the Indiana shows.  Not really a valid comparison at all.

oh, check any show from 1991, axl's voice only got worse and worse in 1991

i only put that indiana video cause its pro shot

check anything from european leg and axl's voice is just as bad if not worse

which, by the way, is much much much better than anything 1992-1993 when he CHANGED completely his way of singing and NEVER sung pushing his voice like that again

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I didn't say it was bad, but come on. He is leaving out many notes and finesses, the end is not as good as in different shows, the voice sometimes struggles... Still not saying it blew.
Anyway, I guess our POV just differs here. If I want to see some of his "most magnificent performances", I'll watch some 1992/93 show, especially Argentina. Of course, some of the 1991 ones were great too, and I still like Rio, it's just he wasn't at his best there IMO, that's all.

yes, different tastes

That SCOM at Rio 91 vid is mostly bad imo. He completely misses notes, lets the crowd sing some of the chorus, and completely choked on the "ay-y-y-where do we go now-ah-ah-ah-ah" part. He was very clearly struggling to force that out.

• Like 1