Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

I loved the idea of counting LA Guns as part of GNR's catalog. If we add Snakepit, VR, SMKC, Loaded, Neurotic Outsiders, Adler, Adler's Appetite, Juju Hounds, Duff and Izzy's solo albums, Walking Papers and Rapidfire.... they might beat The Stones.

Oh, and there was a time in the late 80's when Slash used to jam with Dave Mustaine, can we count some of Megadeth's catalog too? :P

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

It might be small compared with a lot of bands -Kiss, Stones, DC.  But it's about the same as Zepp or the Doors catalog. 

I think when people criticizes GNR's catalog, they're complaining about how unproductive the band has been for how long it existed.

Now, in my opinion you can totally compare it to Zeppelin but for those who think Slash and Dj Ashba are the same, "it's all GNR as long as Billy the ginger is there", then yeah, it's a pretty small catalog I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

By your math not really. It's 4.5 albums, the facts are there in regards to what's actually been released. A lack of more material doesn't make gnr a bad band, it might not help their case in certain respects but it's just a flat out lie to say they don't have a small catalogue of material. 

I think you need to count the number of songs because some bands release 9/10 track albums. Even cd era bands put out cds with 10 tracks. The 90s were full. GNR released 2 records of material in the 00s. Maybe they should have put out two 10-track albums in the 00s just to appease release nazis. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just make up the discography a la Wasted. You'll be far happier.

I say that Guns released thirty albums.

Just make it all up. Soul Monster and The General there on album number fifteen.

Yeah I'm beyond confused... but you've got to be wasted to see that logic I guess! LOL!

So if I a buy an album, even though it's on one disc, if I get it on vinyl or something else that involves it being split to two different discs, it therefore counts as two different albums. Therefore, appetite for destruction is pretty much two albums.

Looks like I need a shot or 12 of jack :lol:

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Zep had 9 bloody albums. Doors had six which is one more than gnr, which is much better going considering the band was only extent for four years.

Why do you think Guns have only five albums? Let's count:

1- AFD.

2- Lies. The industry take it as a LP and that's all that matters. There are shorter LPs by the way.

3- UYI I.

4- UYI II.

5- TSI. Amazing artistic statement and an indisputable official GNR album.

6- CD.

Just now, MisterBrownstoner said:

Why do you think Guns have only five albums? Let's count:

1- AFD.

2- Lies. The industry take it as a LP and that's all that matters. There are shorter LPs by the way.

3- UYI I.

4- UYI II.

5- TSI. Amazing artistic statement and an indisputable official GNR album.

6- CD.

If we are not including the two post-Morrison albums, then we are not including Chinese, and TSI is a covers' album and a particularly bad one at that. It is indeed a favour (to GN'R, from us) to disregard it.

12 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

By your math not really. It's 4.5 albums, the facts are there in regards to what's actually been released. A lack of more material doesn't make gnr a bad band, it might not help their case in certain respects but it's just a flat out lie to say they don't have a small catalogue of material. 

And now we are back to my first post, which I will word more carefully this time, size of catalog doesn't matter. ;)

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I loved the idea of counting LA Guns as part of GNR's catalog. If we add Snakepit, VR, SMKC, Loaded, Neurotic Outsiders, Adler, Adler's Appetite, Juju Hounds, Duff and Izzy's solo albums, Walking Papers and Rapidfire.... they might beat The Stones.

Oh, and there was a time in the late 80's when Slash used to jam with Dave Mustaine, can we count some of Megadeth's catalog too? :P

I think when people criticizes GNR's catalog, they're complaining about how unproductive the band has been for how long it existed.

Now, in my opinion you can totally compare it to Zeppelin but for those who think Slash and Dj Ashba are the same, "it's all GNR as long as Billy the ginger is there", then yeah, it's a pretty small catalog I guess.

When you have a catalog as big as Zeppelin I think you can relax. Take a decade off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah I'm beyond confused... but you've got to be wasted to see that logic I guess! LOL!

So if I a buy an album, even though it's on one disc, if I get it on vinyl or something else that involves it being split to two different discs, it therefore counts as two different albums. Therefore, appetite for destruction is pretty much two albums.

Looks like I need a shot or 12 of jack :lol:

Just make it all up. Appetite=five albums? Why not!

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think you need to count the number of songs because some bands release 9/10 track albums. Even cd era bands put out cds with 10 tracks. The 90s were full. GNR released 2 records of material in the 00s. Maybe they should have put out two 10-track albums in the 00s just to appease release nazis. 

Well I think you're reaching beyond belief. And a lot of cd era bands, modern rock bands, haven't all consistently put out 10 track records. Some have been 10, some 12, some 15. GNR have still released less material overall, both albums and songs 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just make it all up. Appetite=five albums? Why not!

Let's be reasonable.

11 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

When you have a catalog as big as Zeppelin I think you can relax. Take a decade off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

And now we are back to my first post, which I will word more carefully this time, size of catalog doesn't matter. ;)

Yeah but no ones arguing that point. No ones made that point. The OP in the thread isn't about the lack of material being as incredible as it is. No ones really arguing the quality of what they've released, the issue and point of the whole thread is the quantity. 

Again We're fine with the quality but we have an original post and wasted trying to actually convince people that gnr have released more material than we all know they have.. 

Edited by Billsfan

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If we are not including the two post-Morrison albums, then we are not including Chinese, and TSI is a covers' album and a particularly bad one at that. It is indeed a favour (to GN'R, from us) to disregard it.

Well, since i'm not into your "who has the biggest catalog" competition, i do not care about post-Morrison, whatever. Chinese Democracy is an official GNR album. TSI is a covers album, so what? Covers are not songs? UYI I has only 15 songs because one of the 16 songs is a cover? Making a cover isn't just "repeating", look at Since I Don't Have You or Human Being. It has a value. But it seems that you don't like the album, so i'm not going to pursue on that. The fact is that just because you don't like it doesn't stop existing and counting as an album.

Edited by MisterBrownstoner

Just now, MisterBrownstoner said:

Well, since i'm not into your "who has the biggest catalog" competition, i do not care about post-Morrison, whatever. Chinese Democracy is an official GNR album. TSI is a covers album, so what? Covers are not songs? UYI I has only 15 songs because one of the 16 songs is a cover? Making a cover isn't just "repeating", look at Since I Don't Have Your or Human Being. It has a value. But it seems that you don't like the album, so i'm not going to pursue on that. The fact is that just because you don't like it doesn't stop existing and counting as an album.

If you are including cover albums, why not live albums then? Why not archival albums? Why not best ofs/hits?

8 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah but no ones arguing that point. No ones made that point. The OP in the thread isn't about the lack of material being as incredible as it is. No ones really arguing the quality of what they've released, the issue and point of the whole thread is the quantity. 

Again We're fine with the quality but we have an original post and wasted trying to actually convince people that gnr have released more material than we all know they have.. 

I get that, I just don't get all the arguing over the quantity. GNR is a great band with what has been released, does quantity really matter?? My comment was agreeing with you saying that lack of material doesn't make them a bad band. ;)

I don't think covers albums count as much as original material, not even close, but that doesn't mean people don't care about them or can't enjoy them.

I think it was cool that GNR released TSI at that time because they had released a double album 2 years before, so it was like a bonus. Same as Skid Row releasing B-Side Ourselves a year after Slave To The Grind. But if GNR decided to release a covers album now instead of original material, that would be a fn' crime and I assume most of us would consider the possibility of murdering them!

2 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I don't think covers albums count as much as original material, not even close, but that doesn't mean people don't care about them or can't enjoy them.

I think it was cool that GNR released TSI at that time because they had released a double album 2 years before, so it was like a bonus. Same as Skid Row releasing B-Side Ourselves a year after Slave To The Grind. But if GNR decided to release a covers album now instead of original material, that would be a fn' crime and I assume most of us would consider the possibility of murdering them!

Really? That's sad! I would enjoy the shit out of it! Maybe not as much as an original material release, but that doesn't make the album inexistent. IMHO, i guess. 

PS. Covers album not being albums... what's next?  Hawaiian pizza not being pizza because it has pineapple????

3 minutes ago, MisterBrownstoner said:

Really? That's sad! I would enjoy the shit out of it! Maybe not as much as an original material release, but that doesn't make the album inexistent. IMHO, i guess. 

PS. Covers album not being albums... what's next?  Hawaiian pizza not being pizza because it has pineapple????

I would enjoy it too, but after all this time I wanna hear new music from them, not their version of other people's songs.

Of course covers albums are albums (did anyone say otherwise?) but it's not THEIR MUSIC which is what most people wants to hear (as far as I know at least).

Covers albums are for bands who have ran out of ideas and are in their 'middle aged spread' days. Take the new Stones album. Great little album - raw as hell. I gave it a few spins and enjoyed it immensely. But then I slotted it into my collection and there it will remain. When I reach for a 'Stones album' I'm going to reach for Aftermath or Exile. When I want Howlin Wolf, I will play Howlin Wolf. When I want Iggy Pop I will play Iggy Pop - not, GN'R.

Saying that, TSI is a particular bad example of a covers' album. The Stones' is excellent.

• Like 2