Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

I'm fine with how many GN'R albums there are. The only reason I posted in the thread is because just claiming they've released more music than the have, doesn't make it true. I'd love to have more GN'R albums, but then again, I'd love to have more Pink Floyd albums too and they released 15 studio albums. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

God, you're such a bunch of divs. GNR have five albums, not six, not four and certainly not eight.

AFD - 1 album

UYI1 -1 album

UYI 2 - 1 album

TSI - 1 album

Chinese - 1 album

A few points to consider:

1. Just because an album spans multiple vinyls, it doesn't make it a double album. UYI 1 and 2 were released in the 90s when the standard format for albums was a CD. They released TWO albums of new material on the same day. By Wasted's logic, almost every album released post-1991 would be considered a double album

2. Lies is an EP. If it were eight new tracks recorded between AFD and UYI then that'd be different, but it's not. It's two covers, one alt version, a demo and three original tracks.

3. TSI counts as an album. It doesn't matter if you think it's shit, it's still 12-13 new recordings by GNR. Loads of artists put out cover albums, there's no point in not including it just to try and make GNR look even worse.  

4. Live albums don't count as studio albums and shouldn't be counted in this discussion, nor should Greatest Hits.

5. CD should count as a GNR album as it features many common threads from past GNR albums (same band name, same singer, same piano player, songwriting contributions from both Axl and Paul Tobias - a partnership that dates back to Shadow of Your Love).

Thank you! This is the only post I'm reading making any sense.. or at least one of the few.

Talk about overanalyzing... I'm all for discussion but when the sky is clearly blue arguing that it's green is just a bad look 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Tool only have four albums and one EP since 1992. It's been 11 years since their last album. 

And they get shit for that every single day 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

1 UYI cd = 2 Led Zepp records. 

Use Your Illusion was an optical illusion. A sonic mirage in reverse. 

But I understand the experience of listening to a couple of cds in 91 then waiting til 2008 to listen to another cd you don't even like might cloud your objective judgement. 

The way I look at it is once both bands (Guns and Zepp) are over we will just have the music and the waiting between albums doesn't effect our appraisals. 

In fact, I first listened to Zepp via Remasters and thought it was like a UYI 4-vinyl set of records. But it was so much better because it was a Very Best of Zeppelin. Not a Don't Damn Me or Shotgun Blues in sight. 

Led Zeppelin discography is exactly 6:56:19 long

Guns N' Roses discography is exactly 5:57:10 long 

But there is one thing. Led Zeppelin was a band for 12 years, Guns N' Roses for 32. Lack of material is really disturbing. With all obstacles I'm 100% sure you don't need 15 years to release one album and then 8+ for second  

Edited by Nicklord

22 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

And they get shit for that every single day 

Led Zeppelin discography is exactly 6:56:19 long

Guns N' Roses discography is exactly 5:57:10 long 

But there is one thing. Led Zeppelin was a band for 12 years, Guns N' Roses for 32. Lack of material is really disturbing. With all obstacles I'm 100% sure you don't need 15 years to release one album and then 8+ for second  

Zepp put out that Mothership cd out a few years ago. They played those reunion shows. 

Maybe that's what Guns are doing now. 

On January 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM, wasted said:

We are comparing Zepp's number of records to GNR's number of records. 

GNR get compared to bands that were putting out albums in the record era. 1 GNR cd is really like 2 records worth of material. 

This is one thing that bothers me about the comparisons I see as well. Old school bands would release 40 minute albums. The Illusions on vinyl are each double albums. 

Appetite - 54 minutes

Lies - 33 minutes (and not even considered a "real album")

Illusion 1 - 76 minutes

Illusion 2 - 76 minutes

As far as the song count goes, I feel GN'R has a very strong level of quality in their song count compared to many great artists. Coma, November Rain, and Estranged are "only" 3 songs, but they add up to around 30 minutes of incredible music. 

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

This is one thing that bothers me about the comparisons I see as well. Old school bands would release 40 minute albums. The Illusions on vinyl are each double albums. 

Appetite - 54 minutes

Lies - 33 minutes (and not even considered a "real album")

Illusion 1 - 76 minutes

Illusion 2 - 76 minutes

As far as the song count goes, I feel GN'R has a very strong level of quality in their song count compared to many great artists. Coma, November Rain, and Estranged are "only" 3 songs, but they add up to around 30 minutes of incredible music. 

Guns and Zepp were doing things that take longer to put together, but might last you longer. There's a trap in there when you're discussing these things, like it doesn't take longer or the best songs are written in 2 minutes etc. But I think sometimes doing something more original takes longer. If you don't appreciate that then you don't get any pay off. But Guns did put out a record every 2 years in the 90s. Or could've with the material they released. Then we wouldn't be say 23 years since the last album, 1 album in 15 years or whatever. Throw a couple of covers/songs into CD material and you could have two 10 track records in the 00s. It may have dampened down the internet hysteria to get something in 2002 and 2008.  I'm not sure if the casual fans care that much. The rec company are working them. Not die hards who will buy anything. Ultimately it is the quality of the GNR songs that matters. For whatever reason I'd take Riad over 8 Poison albums. So it's all lost on me really. Take 20 years, I'm still going to be waiting. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

You guys are such fools! What album have the Sex Pistols released in almost 40 years? Impact is impact. How about Bon Jovi? They've only released maybe 4 meaningful radio played songs since 1992-1994, Its My life, Thank You For Loving Me, Everyday and Have a Nice Day. I release GNR has released none in that time, (I don't count CD as GNR...its not, more than one original major member needs to be there to qualify or you're just a solo artist).

Deep Purple only have one original member - Ian Paice, the drummer. Is he a solo artist releasing music under their name?

Was the Deep Purple line up featuring Joe Lynn Turner more authentic as they had two original members?

People may not like the fact, but CD is a GnR album.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, Zurimor said:

If you add the L.A. Guns album

:lol: Right . And if you add AC/DC's albums it's massive!!!!

Also only a  GnR site would fans count song length as an argument as to why their song catalogue isn't as small as it seems. Honestly what the fuck is wrong with some of you. I mean based on the "logic" in this thread Coma should count as 3 songs.

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses fan :facepalm: 

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Deep Purple only have one original member - Ian Paice, the drummer. Is he a solo artist releasing music under their name?

Was the Deep Purple line up featuring Joe Lynn Turner more authentic as they had two original members?

People may not like the fact, but CD is a GnR album.

This is nonsense.

Ian Gillan and Roger Glover joined in 1969 and played on Deep Purple's most classic material. They are original members in any way that actually counts. 

I don´t care how big the GnR-Catalogue is. It´s all about quality. I love every single song GnR put out until 1994, except "My World".

Other Bands may have more Albums released, but from them I only like the half and only love one ore three. Thats the big difference for me.

Discussing about TSI, whether it is a GnR-Album or not. I love that thing, because I didn´t knew most of the songs before, so it was totally new to me.

So, in my opinion, TSI is 100% full GnR straight in the face.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bono said:

:lol: Right . And if you add AC/DC's albums it's massive!!!!

Also only a  GnR site would fans count song length as an argument as to why their song catalogue isn't as small as it seems. Honestly what the fuck is wrong with some of you. I mean based on the "logic" in this thread Coma should count as 3 songs.

Guns N' Fuckin' Roses fan :facepalm: 

I see what he's saying though. In terms of song count you could get 3 more 3 minute songs instead of a 10 minute epic. 

If you do that for every longer song they have you'd have more songs to spread over more albums. But GNR did some more expansive material, and if you like it maybe you have accept they aren't going to do 30 albums with material like that. 

The time and effort that went into constructing some of the songs on UYI and CD counts as something. The quality and ambitiousness plays a part. 

That's not to say fans wouldn't want Slash and Izzy solo material with Axl singing as GNR. That seemed to be what Slash and Izzy wanted to do in a way. Shorter recording process, put more records out. 

Why they didn't space out UYI across the 90s, or put so many epic songs on CD I don't know. It's like that's what Axl wants to do. Just making bigger and bigger albums. CD has 8 pretty big songs, whereas UYI has 2 and 4 respectively. 

When I think of a GNR album I expect longer, bigger songs like Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Civil War, Nov Rain, Estranged, SOD, Twat, Catcher. Not just 10 fast rockers and a couple of pop rock ballads. 

Maybe it's not even really possible to put albums out of the quality and style of songs of AFD, UYI and CD every few years. It takes time to put it all together. 

There seemed to be a disagreement in the band about what they were really trying to do. Slash not really wanting to get involved in another UYI type project, wanting to do Snakepit as Guns. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xedos said:

I don´t care how big the GnR-Catalogue is. It´s all about quality. I love every single song GnR put out until 1994, except "My World".

Other Bands may have more Albums released, but from them I only like the half and only love one ore three. Thats the big difference for me.

Discussing about TSI, whether it is a GnR-Album or not. I love that thing, because I didn´t knew most of the songs before, so it was totally new to me.

So, in my opinion, TSI is 100% full GnR straight in the face.

Word!

GN'R for me is one of the very few bands that have a catalogue with albums that are great from the first song to the last.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 1:23 AM, Len Cnut said:

Wasted is an alcoholic shaman from Bridlington :lol:

One of the forum's most peculiar characters no doubt. Had a trial for Gloucestershire apparently? Then he buggered off to China for some unexplained reason. And wrote books! A genuine renaissance man is Wasted.

23 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

???

Bon Scott?

And the band came back and had a second life regardless. 

Uggg. 

Thank you for making my point stronger though. 

A couple posters keep justifying Axl's lack of material by comparing them to bands that stopped releasing music because key members died. With hasn't happened with Axl. 

So yes. AcDC lost their singer. And STILL destroy GnR in terms of albums released. That just makes Axl look even lazier or that he doesn't really care about his fans. 

• Like 1

Wasted has convinced me. GNR has released 27 albums. 14 of them are double albums. Oh My God on End of Days OST counts as an EP if you compare to Led Zepp songs featured on OSTs.

The best from the 27 albums are the CD remixes and CD2, being unreleased and not existing in any form doesn't matter. It's Queen + NIN + Elton John in his glam hard rock era.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Towelie said:

God, you're such a bunch of divs. GNR have five albums, not six, not four and certainly not eight.

AFD - 1 album

UYI1 -1 album

UYI 2 - 1 album

TSI - 1 album

Chinese - 1 album

A few points to consider:

1. Just because an album spans multiple vinyls, it doesn't make it a double album. UYI 1 and 2 were released in the 90s when the standard format for albums was a CD. They released TWO albums of new material on the same day. By Wasted's logic, almost every album released post-1991 would be considered a double album

2. Lies is an EP. If it were eight new tracks recorded between AFD and UYI then that'd be different, but it's not. It's two covers, one alt version, a demo and three original tracks.

3. TSI counts as an album. It doesn't matter if you think it's shit, it's still 12-13 new recordings by GNR. Loads of artists put out cover albums, there's no point in not including it just to try and make GNR look even worse.  

4. Live albums don't count as studio albums and shouldn't be counted in this discussion, nor should Greatest Hits.

5. CD should count as a GNR album as it features many common threads from past GNR albums (same band name, same singer, same piano player, songwriting contributions from both Axl and Paul Tobias - a partnership that dates back to Shadow of Your Love).

This. 

Over a 30 year period. 

Some amazing top notch quality work. But an extremely small catalog. 

Axl dominated the rock world from 88-92. 

But in all reality Axl Rose was just a fictional character created by a kid from the streets - with a monster voice - named Billy. 

I wish Bill realized that his millions of fans just want to hear the music he creates. Every song doesn't have to compete with Stairway to Heaven. Every album doesn't have to try and be the greatest rock album in history. 

Fans just want to hear anything that Bill creates. Stephanie/woe is me ballads. Hard rockers. Mid tempo songs. Piano ballads. Epics. Industrial. 

No matter what he releases, most of us will purchase it.....and enjoy the listening experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maynard said:

Wasted has convinced me. GNR has released 27 albums. 14 of them are double albums. Oh My God on End of Days OST counts as an EP if you compare to Led Zepp songs featured on OSTs.

The best from the 27 albums are the CD remixes and CD2, being unreleased and not existing in any form doesn't matter. It's Queen + NIN + Elton John in his glam hard rock era.

What's funny is that he also said he respects Axl for NOT releasing more music that would just be cash grabs targeting his fans. 

Put those two points together.  

He is glad GnR had a small catalog...while he continually tries to make their catolog seem larger than it actually is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jane M. said:

He's a perfectionist and a bit insecure, not lazy.

Oh he's a perfectionist? Explain the blip on Scraped. Thanks.

Oh he's not lazy? Three hour delays, using 'warm up' shows to get ready for a tour.... can you explain those things too?