Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

1 minute ago, maynard said:

Oh he's a perfectionist? Explain the blip on Scraped. Thanks.

Oh he's not lazy? Three hour delays, using 'warm up' shows to get ready for a tour.... can you explain those things too?

:shock::shock::shock:

It was a joke. Those are the reasons people always have to excuse his laziness.

I fail at sarcasm.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

He's a perfectionist and a bit insecure, not lazy.

2 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

:shock::shock::shock:

It was a joke. Those are the reasons people always have to excuse his laziness.

I fail at sarcasm.

I thought you were serious :lol:

I don't think that laziness is the reason. Or, to put it differently, there are reasons behind the "laziness".

• Like 2

What's the argue with song length.

New York Dolls released Too Much Too Soon an LP that had about 10 songs and clocked a little longer than 30 minutes. So that by what others said since UYI were 76 minutes long ,that makes UYI counting 2 New York Dolls albums ?

Or the NYD album should be considered an EP by GnR standards ?

Nice logic

9 hours ago, bigpoop said:

This is nonsense.

Ian Gillan and Roger Glover joined in 1969 and played on Deep Purple's most classic material. They are original members in any way that actually counts. 

I was trying to use an example to show the "logic" used.

So if Duff and Matt Sorum had played on CD with Bucket, Pitman and Finck would that mean CD would count as a GnR album?

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

I was trying to use an example to show the "logic" used.

So if Duff and Matt Sorum had played on CD with Bucket, Pitman and Finck would that mean CD would count as a GnR album?

It's just not a great example. Deep Purple existed about a year before those guys joined. I mean, Ian Gillan is the guy on Smoke on the Water. You can't compare him to Buckethead.

Matt is irrelevant. Duff would make it a little closer but I'd say no because he wasn't a main writer.

If Slash is not on a Guns album, it's not a Guns album to most Guns fans. It's like that with other bands as well. Some guitar players are too iconic both in their image and style of playing for them to be replaced.

Slash is a classic example of this. No one sounds like him and without him, the band just lacks a main element and that just turns it to something else.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

Lol, I always thought the blip on Scraped was on purpose due to the lyrics (sometimes I feel like my lifes a catastrophe, fits the "fuck up"). Like there is no way something that obvious would slip in there unnoticed by Axl. He sometimes records one line at a time for songs, and relistens to each vocal take before he goes, okay that's the one I'm gonna use.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wasted said:

I haven't heard it so it can't exist. Typical. 

They could have 100 albums in the vault. It doesn't matter as long as we won't hear them. We're talking about their catalog. About albums you can buy. Go buy CDII and I'll shut my mouth.

On 10.1.2017 at 6:09 PM, Zurimor said:

Okay, I'll try it one last time. I wasn't arguing about the number of albums, in that regard, their catalogue is small, period.

My point was the total length of the material they created, I compared that to another band in my second post, die Ärzte, first release in 1984, 13 albums total.

It's about 7 hours against about 11 hours. From that point of view, it doesn't look that bad anymore, it's actually pretty decent regarding the low number of albums they released.

Why do you have to compare a band like Guns with a local band like Ärzte? Compare them to Stones, to Purple, to Sabbath.

Compare them to bands like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith or even RHCP, a band that started like Guns, in the late 80's.

Edited by Free Bird

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Why do you have to compare a band like Guns with a local band like Ärzte? Compare them to Stones, to Purple, to Sabbath.

Compare them to bands like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith or even RHCP, a band that started like Guns, in the late 80's.

Does that matter in any way? I don't think so....

It's not about sales or something like that. They started 84, it's pretty much about the same time, 4 years more or less.

12 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

Does that matter in any way? I don't think so....

It's not about sales or something like that. They started 84, it's pretty much about the same time, 4 years more or less.

Well, I think it matters because nobody cares for die Ärzte and their 3 min. songs outside of Germany. I think we should compare Guns to a world-class act as they are themselves. We're comparing their catalog to other relevant bands in rock history.

I'm just comparing total play lenght. With a band which exists approximately for about the same time.

No idea what others are doing, but for that matter, I really don't think it's important if it's a German, French or whatever band...And it's a big band in Germany, that it's German doesn't make it worse for that purpose. :)

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

You do realize Jim Morrison died. Yes? Length of career should be a factor. 

I realize it's a factor. Definitely in terms of waiting between records. But long term in rock, I don't think it hurts GNR's legacy. 

I didn't feel that was a problem until the late 90s. The Illusions and Spaghetti was enough for the 90s for me. Then Live era was something. I got into Estranged on that record. Dust N Bones was good. It was interesting because I'm not a bootleg guy. 

I feel like 2004 we should have got CD. Then 2008 another. I feel like I understand some of the reasons why but I still think we are missing 2 cds. But that doesn't make the legacy of GNR terrible. It changes it. They aren't an ACDC type band. They could have been maybe. 

Maybe it's hard to keep putting out records as good as CD. There's too many big songs on it. Those songs should be split between 3 cds really. Maybe Axl wanted to make this album because he could. It's a one off chance. I think it's enough for 00s sometimes, it's like all the big Illusion songs on one cd. This reunion tour is the first one they haven't played new stuff from it. 10 years to make, 10 years to tour it. 

I think also has a lot has to do with Izzy and Slash not being there and Axl/label protecting the legacy. It's harder to write the more rock n roll stuff without them. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity.  I'd gladly take GN'R's catalogue over a band who put out 15 albums over the course of 30 years just to put them out...And in reality, only 4 of those 15 albums would be of higher standard.

How many rock bands have more than 5 high end rock albums in their catalogues?  Most (legendary) bands have maybe 1-2 very good/great albums.  Another 1-2 good albums and typically the rest of their albums have maybe 1-2 good songs on them each.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity.  I'd gladly take GN'R's catalogue over a band who put out 15 albums over the course of 30 years just to put them out...And in reality, only 4 of those 15 albums would be of higher standard.

How many rock bands have more than 5 high end rock albums in their catalogues?  Most (legendary) bands have maybe 1-2 very good/great albums.  Another 1-2 good albums and typically the rest of their albums have maybe 1-2 good songs on them each.

Wrong! This post is a joke, just like most posts in this thread. Obviously you don't know many bands if you really believe most legendary bands only have one or two good albums. I'm not even going to bother proving you wrong... god!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Nearly all of them!!

The Stones for instance have Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls. (I'm a bit of a Goats Head Soup chap, but I realise I'm in the minority there). The Beatles' entire discography barely has a weak link in it.