Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

3 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity.  I'd gladly take GN'R's catalogue over a band who put out 15 albums over the course of 30 years just to put them out...And in reality, only 4 of those 15 albums would be of higher standard.

How many rock bands have more than 5 high end rock albums in their catalogues?  Most (legendary) bands have maybe 1-2 very good/great albums.  Another 1-2 good albums and typically the rest of their albums have maybe 1-2 good songs on them each.

Pink Floyd has 15 albums and maybe 3 not so good ones.

Led Zeppelin pretty much doesn't have any bad one, ranges from good to amazing

DieselDaisy explained for Rolling Stones 

Black Sabbath has at least 5 legendary albums (depending on which periods you like it can be way more)

Metallica either 4 or 5 too

I think we have a new wonder of the world. How on earth has this topic made it to 11 pages? I have read all 11 pages (I curse myself for navigating the forum by using the Next Unread Topic button- this topic is like a trainwreck I can't look away from when it comes up) and I still can't figure out how this topic has stretched on this long.

I am bemused and in a strange way you have brightened my day. Thank you. 

By the way... Has anyone considered that Guns N' Roses doesn't have a small catalogue? That everyone else you are comparing them to simply has an obscenely large one? :rofl-lol:

I can't see how Aftermath is as big a record as AFD. AFD is stuffed full of hit singles and rock classics. It sold 30 mil. Under my Thumb is pretty good song but it's not exactly Welcome to the Jungle.

Beggars has Sympathy for the Devil, it's not really a blockbuster album like CD. Let it Bleed has about 7 songs. Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always...make up for a lot. I like a lot of material without being completely blown away. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon seem like stronger albums to me but they lack special songs like Nov Rain, Coma and Estranged. They are on self parody autopilot. 

UYI is kind of comparable to Exile but Illusions had a bunch of hit singles on them. Exile has Tumbling Dice that has some cult appeal due to being in every Marty Scorcese picture ever. 

Sticky Fingers is the only one that can compete with GNR albums. Total quality throughout. Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile. I can listen all the way through like most GNR albums.

Some Girls is also pretty strong but it's more an Izzy solo album with If the World tacked on as a single. It's a jokey album compared to the Illusions. 

Metallica aren't really on the same level as GNR. The Black album is the only one even close. They have some awesome songs like For Whom the Bell Tolls but it's hard to listen to a whole album. James is convincing and can't sing for toffee. Most of the albums are unlistenable. Load is okay in that way but lacks originality. Pearl Jam do it better. 

Floyd. Only Darkside of the Moon is worth mentioning. Division Bell is pretty good too, I've listened to it a few times. The Wall is patchy at best. They have some great songs but the albums are a slog. Not really my cup of tea to be honest. 

I need to pick and choose my way through these bands to get 4 cds that compete with GNR's studio albums

Sticky Fingers/ AFD

Black Album/ UYI I

Exile on Main Street /UYI II

Darkside of the Moon/ CD

Edited by wasted

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I can't see how Aftermath is as big a record as AFD. AFD is stuffed full of hit singles and rock classics. It sold 30 mil. Under my Thumb is pretty good song but it's not exactly Welcome to the Jungle

Bollocks

Aftermath has 'Under My Thumb', 'Mother's Little Helper', 'Lady Jane' and 'Out of Time' on it - all absolute bona fide classics. The Yank version has 'Paint it bloody Black' for crying out loud!! Aftermath is a much better album than Appetite. It is a glorious hybrid of rootsy blues and Carnaby Street pop.

Beggars has Sympathy for the Devil, it's not really a blockbuster album like CD. Let it Bleed has about 7 songs. Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always...make up for a lot. I like a lot of material without being completely blown away. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon seem like stronger albums to me but they lack special songs like Nov Rain, Coma and Estranged. They are on self parody autopilot. 

Beggars and Let it Bleed are absolute masterpieces.

UYI is kind of comparable to Exile but Illusions

No. Exile is an undisputed masterpiece.

Floyd. Only Darkside of the Moon is worth mentioning.

I'm not as big a fan of Floyd as I once was, but I know for a fact this statement will have Floyd fans choking on their corn flakes. Try,

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

All considered masterpieces, regularly high up in 'top 100s' (much higher than GN'R) and gigantic ball-busting sellers. WYWH is actually my favourite Floyd album.

28 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not as big a fan of Floyd as I once was, but I know for a fact this statement will have Floyd fans choking on their corn flakes. Try,

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

All considered masterpieces, regularly high up in 'top 100s' (much higher than GN'R) and gigantic ball-busting sellers. WYWH is actually my favourite Floyd album.

Didn't do much for me. Division Bell I liked more. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Floyd. Only Darkside of the Moon is worth mentioning. Division Bell is pretty good too, I've listened to it a few times. The Wall is patchy at best. They have some great songs but the albums are a slog. Not really my cup of tea to be honest

All their early work is just great and pretty much legendary.

The Piper at the Gate of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Relics....and then there still is Atom Heart Mother, Wish you were here, The dark Side of the Moon, The final Cut, The Wall...

Not to mention they influenced a lot of other bands like Amon Düül, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Tool, Porcupine Tree, The Gathering, Tiamat....their influence on music is much bigger than that of Gn'R!

Edited by Zurimor

6 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

The Piper at the Gate of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Relics....and then there still is Atom Heart Mother, Wish you were here, The dark Side of the Moon, The final Cut, The Wall...

Not to mention they influenced a lot of other bands like Amon Düül, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Tool, Porcupine Tree, The Gathering, Tiamat....their influence on music is much bigger than that of Gn'R!

Indeed. Piper is the seminal album of English psychedelia.

12 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

I think it's really niche. I'm sure it's great but I'm looking for albums of rock songs for the most part. 

After a few listens I didn't think there's enough songs on The Wall to hold my interest. Some cool songs though. A lot of interludes. 

And the first 6 songs on AFD destroy Aftermath. There's 3 bona fide rock mega singles on it, After has some songs only Stones hipsters know. Start Me Up is more like it. 

Exile is okay but there's not enough tunes and a ton of filler. But it's an experience and has a vibe journey. UYI I at least has Nov Rain and Don't Cry.  Sticky Fingers has better songs, it's more focused. I'd say that's as close to AFD as any other band get. Maybe Electric by The Cult is another one that's close. 

Just now, wasted said:

I think it's really niche. I'm sure it's great but I'm looking for albums of rock songs for the most part. 

After a few listens I didn't think there's enough songs on The Wall to hold my interest. Some cool songs though. A lot of interludes. 

And the first 6 songs on AFD destroy Aftermath. There's 3 bona fide rock mega singles on it, After has some songs only Stones hipsters know. Start Me Up is more like it

Exile is okay but there's not enough tunes and a ton of filler. But it's an experience and has a vibe journey. UYI I at least has Nov Rain and Don't Cry.  Sticky Fingers has better songs, it's more focused. I'd say that's as close to AFD as any other band get. Maybe Electric by The Cult is another one that's close. 

Nah. I cannot disagree more.

11 hours ago, Zurimor said:

I'm just comparing total play lenght. With a band which exists approximately for about the same time.

No idea what others are doing, but for that matter, I really don't think it's important if it's a German, French or whatever band...And it's a big band in Germany, that it's German doesn't make it worse for that purpose. :)

I didn't want to discredit their work, and it has got nothing to do with being German or French. Scorpions are German too but world class. 

Fact is, Guns n Roses did really good until their break up in terms of album releases and play lenght of their songs. There you could even add their songs like Cornchucker or Crash Diet because unlike CDII you can put them in your CD-player and give them a listen.

After the break up it was a total fail in terms of releases and play lenghts whatsoever. It's beyond me how people want argue that fact, it's not a secret at all. One album plus a song is far too little in a time frame of 20 years. Regardless of the releases of Tool or anybody else. End of story.

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Unacceptable. Unacceptable. Unacceptable. NO NO NO! Use Your Illusion is not comparable to Exile at all. No. Imo. I get that everyone connect differently or not at all to some albums. I'm just being objective here. I like UYI more. But Exile is a masterpiece.

Beggars as well. Aftermath a masterpiece. Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed... all masterpieces. Pieces of masters. Even Some Girls is great.

The Stones were more consistent and had many masterpieces. Guns... only Appetite, even if it's not my favorite Guns record.

Exile has the same spiritual blues as UYI II. The songs that is. 

Black album would be rocking like UYI I. 

Sticky Fingers has the swagger and variety of AFD. 

Darkside has the cohesion and introspection of CD. 

I like some of the other albums on their own terms. But in terms of competing with GNR albums this is all I got. 

I'd probably like to switch the PF album with a Zepp. 

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But as albums much stronger compared to The Division Bell.

I didn't think so. I liked all the songs on DB. I haven't really got into PF much so what do I know. I can only take one song at a time. I made it through DSOTM and DB though. 

Clive Lloyd? One of those dope smoking motherfuckers died for sure. 

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Again with the Cricket! again with the sports. Had to google that shit again. You people and your sports. Even the most advanced of personalities are contaminated by this shit.

Stop derailing the thread. Cricket doesn't even make sense.

You need a pile of bolivian marching powder and a gambling dependency to understand it. They are wearing white. It's a metaphor.