Better Call Saul S3 (Gus Teaser)

Dan H.

Holy fuck - what an episode! People can't complain about the pace of BCS after that one, it was on par with seasons 4 and 5 of BrBa IMO.

Los Pollos, Francesca, Gus, Victor, Kim's "give me a dollar" trick, Mike's Buick - so many BrBa pieces falling into place

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Holy fuck - what an episode! People can't complain about the pace of BCS after that one, it was on par with seasons 4 and 5 of BrBa IMO.

Reveal hidden contents

Los Pollos, Francesca, Gus, Victor, Kim's "give me a dollar" trick, Mike's Buick - so many BrBa pieces falling into place

One great episode doesn't mean the pacing of the series in general is shit (see The Walking Dead).

On 4/10/2017 at 8:06 PM, Powerage5 said:

The first half of the season premiere was good - then my cable went out :( 

awwwwww. they will replay it next week though i think? they always do here...

17 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

One great episode doesn't mean the pacing of the series in general is shit (see The Walking Dead).

since i have not seen it yet i will wait to post my reaction. got it saved on my DVR...so many shows i eed to catch up with :facepalm:

9 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I find the pacing of BCS to be confident and well managed. Its a slow burner action wise, but its packed with better character drama than BrBa, and I definitely prefer it. It moves like a novel.

TWD sucks for a plethora of reasons, but part of their pacing problem is that none of the slow burning episode ever build to anything bigger, plus the show has been on repeat mode since it began

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 10:31 PM, Powerage5 said:

Hide contents

I knew I'd seen Kim's trick before. I just couldn't place it. 

Holy shit, Gus is one friggin smart SOB. I mean, we already knew that from BrBa, but still. 

• Like 1

On S3 E1, from The AV Club

"And I have a feeling Vince Gilligan likes procedurals, too. Breaking Bad took great delight in detailing Walt’s crazy schemes to evade Hank and undermine Gus Fring. But on Better Call Saul, the procedural love is concentrated, pure and uncut, in the lengthy, frequently wordless sequences of Mike Ehrmantraut at work. For someone like me, watching the man at his unhurried business—matched by the deliberate pace of the writing and editing, which seems to accept that it’s gonna take as long as it’s gonna take—brings on a kind of delirious high. By the time it’s finally clear what he’s about, I’m grinning like a loon."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan H. said:

On S3 E1, from The AV Club

"And I have a feeling Vince Gilligan likes procedurals, too. Breaking Bad took great delight in detailing Walt’s crazy schemes to evade Hank and undermine Gus Fring. But on Better Call Saul, the procedural love is concentrated, pure and uncut, in the lengthy, frequently wordless sequences of Mike Ehrmantraut at work. For someone like me, watching the man at his unhurried business—matched by the deliberate pace of the writing and editing, which seems to accept that it’s gonna take as long as it’s gonna take—brings on a kind of delirious high. By the time it’s finally clear what he’s about, I’m grinning like a loon."

That's it - people say "well, these episodes are so slow, they're light on the dialogue, etc.", but I think that's to their credit that they're showing us these sequences, not telling us what is happening. Both the bug scene in E1 and the tracking scene in E2 were so masterfully done, I don't see how anyone could not love them. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 7:30 PM, Powerage5 said:

But it's not shit, so... :shrugs:

I agree, sorry, I felt like you were saying the pacing problems were solved by a great episode (like there was some huge payoff that occured and made up for the slowness of the show).   

In general, I have no issues with the pace of BCS as it is slowly paced by design and I'm OK with that as it is a fairly well-told and constructed story with relevant sub-plots and acting in addition to superb directling.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

I agree, sorry, I felt like you were saying the pacing problems were solved by a great episode (like there was some huge payoff that occured and made up for the slowness of the show).   

In general, I have no issues with the pace of BCS as it is slowly paced by design and I'm OK with that as it is a fairly well-told and constructed story with relevant sub-plots and acting in addition to superb directling.  

No, I was saying more along the lines of "it's ridiculous people are still saying this episode was too slowly paced" (A comment I've seen multiple times on Reddit in regards to this episode). 

That's the thing a lot of people don't get though - a law drama by nature is going to be slower paced than Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad is one of the fastest paced series of all time in terms of plot fit into air time IMO. As far as law dramas go, I think the pace of BCS is pretty brisk actually. But again on Breaking Bad - the hypocrisy from some viewers is extremely aggravating. You get people complaining about how the show needs to stand on it's own merits and throwing a hissy fit literally every time there's a callback to Breaking Bad (Which for the record, I find every single one so far either clever or necessary to the plot), but then go and say shit like "Well, BCS is boring because it's slower paced than BrBa".

I definitely like BCS better than BrBa. 

It goes to show how important characters are in a show. BCS has far more likeable characters, whereas all the likeable ones in BrBa are in BCS anyway.

I would have never finished BrBa if it wasn't for the fact I was in college and living with roommates at the time.

Jimmy's explosion this past episode made my blood rush. Man that was great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, MrPoe said:

Most of the episode felt like Breaking Bad. I loved it.

Vince Gilligan said there's an episode in the first half of the season which feels like the 63rd episode of Breaking Bad. This had to be it - what an amazing episode. 

8 hours ago, slash23579 said:

Was I happy with the latest episode of Better Call Saul? Reasonably.

huell.jpg

Seriously though, best episode of the series last night. Give Michael McKean an Emmy.

My only disagreement is that if Michael McKean gets the supporting actor Emmy, Jonathan Banks can't win it. 

34 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Imo McKean deserves it more after that courtroom scene

I agree. The fact that Banks didn't even get nominated after the episode about his son and how Mike got to be so cold and cynical was highway robbery. I want him to get one before this show ends, but I agree that this year should be McKean's year. He and Odenkirk both won it with that scene. For a lot of different reasons I just don't like courtroom scenes, and an attorney ethics panel is just going to emphasize the things I like least in procedurals. And yet, I can't remember a scene I've liked more in any show since maybe Ozymandias. Hats off to those two. A master class in acting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

I agree. The fact that Banks didn't even get nominated after the episode about his son and how Mike got to be so cold and cynical was highway robbery. I want him to get one before this show ends, but I agree that this year should be McKean's year. He and Odenkirk both won it with that scene. For a lot of different reasons I just don't like courtroom scenes, and an attorney ethics panel is just going to emphasize the things I like least in procedurals. And yet, I can't remember a scene I've liked more in any show since maybe Ozymandias. Hats off to those two. A master class in acting. 

Exactly. Banks deserves one for sure, but this season has to be McKean's turn to shine. 

Fuck, I love this show so much. I wonder if Breaking Bad was this much fun to follow week-to-week in it's earlier seasons? I started watching during season 5a. To me, the middle of season three is when things really started to heat up on Breaking Bad. Right now with BCS, I feel like I'm watching season five of Breaking Bad. 

• Like 1