What Was The Big Attraction to Guns 'N' Roses.

End of the 80s, MTV was new to my country ("wow, a channel that plays music clips all day!" - no matter what the music was). I had gotten in the phase of exploring/starting listening more to stuff beyond what was currently mainstream and also to older stuff. Guns N' Roses had something from those 60s-70s bands, but without being a totally 'revivalist' or 'out of time' band. And, unlike everything else that was regularly on MTV, they sounded and looked genuine; not because of the tattoos etc, but rather despite of all that, because what would look pretentious on any other popular band of the era, on them it looked natural.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

When AFD came out, nothing sounded like it, no other rock group before or after sounded like them. I was only 12/13 at the time, suffering through the likes of Kylie Minogue... and the utter dross of meaningless music at the end of the 80s from SAW. GNR was the incendiary device that I was waiting for to kickstart my rebellion years, they were explosive motherfuckers, supplementing my anger.

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Len Cnut said:

You'd be suprised mate, there's been worse than them since, look at The Wu Tang Clan, they were a bunch of dust smokin' five percenters that shagged their way through entire townships, done a ridiculous amount of drugs, made some genre changing albums, frequently got arrested, were investigated by the FBI over some serious shit.  In a rock band context I don't think there will be but only because of the music being outdated now.  But a great many celebrities do a lot of drugs and shaggin' these days, even your the most soft looking poppy ones.

To me the look and the attitude was the hook, it was a happy accident that the music was amazing and set me on a pretty good path in terms of where my taste went after but at 8 yrs old it was their being a bunch of wrong uns that drew me in.  I'm thankful too, imagine if I'd've gotten into Crue cuz of the look and ended up being into shite music.

1st two  Crue albums are awesome, although I'd figure with your taste only the first might do. 

I'm a "newbie" in terms of how long GN'R have been around but my story goes like this.

In 2009 i was 15 years old and pretty normal. Up to this point as a kid i was listening to country, then some outlaw country and then i found Nirvana. 

Around came February 2009 and i thought of getting a "band" together and was in gym class. My gym teacher, who was awesome and played Nevermind, Appetite, ChiDem on the stereo during class over heard me talking about said "band" and told me he knew a cool "rock n roll" chick who played bass in his "Planning" class. i was a intrigued by the offer and said yes to introducing us. He introduced us and  we hung out and she showed me the typical GN'R videos and other Crue videos. I couldn't believe the people i was seeing and listening to. I ended up dressing like GNR/Crue (and though now i'm 23 i still retain some of that even with some problems). But the attitude i witnessed with her showing me the Ritz show, the Tokyo DVD and other shows. This band attracted me immediately because of it's realness and rawness.  I saw Axl/GN'R with an ex in 2011 here in Vancouver with Duff opening. Can't wait to see Slash and Duff together even thought me and that chick who got me into everything never thought it would happen. i don't know what happened to her, last i heard she was into heroin. i wish she was here with me to experience this.  May you all enjoy this upcoming tour!

Edited by LastBandit303

Faster Pussycat could have been huge but they didn't have a hit ballad. Those first two records were awesome. 

Also an honorable mention goes to The Almighty's first 2 records and the live album. All these kept going in the wait for UYI. 

Edited by wasted