The 80s Needed Guns 'N' Roses

AFD5

8 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

You can't have the new Black Sabbath and the new Pink Floyd but I'll do the reverse question. Where is the old Radiohead? Where is the old Muse? Where is the old Gojira? Where is the old Dillinger Escape Plan? Nowhere, cause it's different now. It's still good, full of awesome bands and crazy talented people. It's just different 

The thing is that you can't have those guys again and you should not. Those guys expended on something previously done and did it in an amazing way and that's what's made them legendary but also, they were able to get to a wider audience. Nowadays, you can't expended Metallica's sound and expect that to be legendary cause it's way to aggressive and loud for average listener. Same goes for Rush and Pink Floyd, there are so many awesome prog bands right now but they are different to them cause nobody want's to listen to copycats, people want something new. Go and explore, you'll be amazed how many amazing bands are out there in prog rock right now

Was talking more about the post before yours and in general :D Yeah, I hate that but there are so many great audiences still, just not at the most mainstream shows. 

Muse? Gojira? Radiohead? Fuck that... I'll take Sabbath, Floyd and DC any day of the week.

Rockstars are a dying breed. 

Dio, Lemmy, Prince...who's next? Ozzy? Keith? Alice? 

Guns were one of the last rockstars, so probably they are the last still alive in 10-15 years.

What comes after them? When their time will come there won't be that kind of BIG rockstars out there anymore... 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

You can't have the new Black Sabbath and the new Pink Floyd but I'll do the reverse question. Where is the old Radiohead? Where is the old Muse? Where is the old Gojira? Where is the old Dillinger Escape Plan? Nowhere, cause it's different now. It's still good, full of awesome bands and crazy talented people. It's just different 

The thing is that you can't have those guys again and you should not. Those guys expended on something previously done and did it in an amazing way and that's what's made them legendary but also, they were able to get to a wider audience. Nowadays, you can't expended Metallica's sound and expect that to be legendary cause it's way to aggressive and loud for average listener. Same goes for Rush and Pink Floyd, there are so many awesome prog bands right now but they are different to them cause nobody want's to listen to copycats, people want something new. Go and explore, you'll be amazed how many amazing bands are out there in prog rock right now

Was talking more about the post before yours and in general :D Yeah, I hate that but there are so many great audiences still, just not at the most mainstream shows. 

I have listened to Radiohead and Muse. Neither is my cup of tea. But if you love them that's fine by me. So for any 15 year old out there Metallica is too aggresive and loud? Boy! I'm glad I'm not 15 anymore :lol:

• Like 1

Rock n Roll in the 80's needed GNR, absolutely. I think to write off the 80's completely is abit much but i think GNR brought an excitement to the game, NWA is another one that immediately springs to mind.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I have listened to Radiohead and Muse. Neither is my cup of tea. But if you love them that's fine by me. So for any 15 year old out there Metallica is too aggresive and loud? Boy! I'm glad I'm not 15 anymore :lol:

I think Metallica would have most 15 year boys these days running for a "safe space".

9 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Rock n Roll in the 80's needed GNR, absolutely. I think to write off the 80's completely is abit much but i think GNR brought an excitement to the game, NWA is another one that immediately springs to mind.

I think Metallica would have most 15 year boys these days running for a "safe space".

Well it used to be the other way around. Parents were running for safe not kids. I think it says a lot about the current state of music

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I still think we need it....quite frankly the music industry has really become too PC. I would much rather have music from people who have the balls to stand up for themselves...:shrugs:

Daniel Wirtz, if you have no problem with German lyrics. :)

6 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Absolutely I agree we are ready again for a music revolution we are now inundated with x-factor, the voice etc. All of it is frankly shite their are no guitarists, front men etc now it's just faceless wonders churning out rehashed computer generated backing tracks, to a helium induced chipmunk singing vocal. I honestly can't remember the last time anything new came on the tv or radio that caught my attention span. Our kids are a lost music generation unless we ourselves have educated them into listening to Classic Rock. My kids vary in age between 31 & 14 all of them appreciate Classic Rock wether it be Guns, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, KISS etc. I'm surprised nobody especially over here in the U.K. has come up with a battle of the bands tv show I think it would be much more entertaining I'm not saying we'd find the new Guns but it'd be more entertaining than what's on now.

Often true, but not always:

I like them, they won the German version of X-Factor 2012, but do their own thing.

And often times, you just need to search off the mainstream, there are plenty of great bands around which are not well-known.

I like those guys:

Edited by Zurimor

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Thanks, but I don't speak German :lol:

I listen to French music and don't speak French, or let's say, my French is very, very bad, doesn't have to be an obstacle. ;)

I like to translate the lyrics though, fortunately, there is stuff like babelfish etc. nowadays. :D

Edited by Zurimor

In the first half of the 80s there was a lot of good rock music (mostly non mainstream but with a significant following, and imo much of it superior than the bulk of "alternative" in the 90s) as a continuation of the explosion in the late 70s: Husker Du, Wipers, Gun Glub, The Replacements, Blag Flag, Mission of Burma, Green Or Red, Dream Syndicate, early REM etc, the dark wave movement (mainly in UK and Europe) with Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie, Echo and the Bunnymen etc, also Nick Cave and Birthday Party etc. Mainstream rock in the US was soft rock or highly radio friendly/commercial "progressive" (Foreigner, Asia, REO Speedwagon etc).

Some of those non mainstream acts continued releasing good stuff, but in general the mid to late 80s was a pretty sterile period for rock. Mainstream rock was at its worst (the pop metal bands, and even Springsteen's mega hit album was his most commercially orientated one) and not many things were happening in the underground scene. The only rock genre with a good number of fans worldwide was heavy metal. GnR indeed filled a void.

Towards the end of the decade things started moving again from different directions, preceding and preparing the new rock explosion in the early 90s: GnR and the success of AFD, previously non mainstream bands reached a bigger audience (REM, Metallica, The Cult, The Cure had a hit in the US), underground bands like The Pixies and Sonic Youth with their defining album, veterans from the previous decades released good albums (Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Neil Young), The Stone Roses and the Manchester scene in the end of the decade etc.

The 80s in its most part was a very good age for pop though. In general the pop hits of the era were much better than those in the 90s, even in the 70s.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Am I the only one annoyed by the 'N' in the title. :P should be " N' " 

Anywho, they certainly came around at the right time. Similar to Aerosmith, Metallica, etc. The music spoke to the kids who were outcasts and misunderstood. It gave them something to relate to and make them feel like they weren't alone.

I still think it should be "n'". :P

Mostly it's typed all in capital letters, but if not, I'm convinced it should be "n'" since it's "Guns n'(o) Roses" ;)

I know, they spell it "N'" themselves, but they spell it wrong! :P

Edited by Zurimor

13 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

I still think it should be "n'". :P

Mostly it's typed all in Capital letters, but if not, I'm convinced it should be "n'" since it's "Guns n'(o) Roses" ;)

I know, they spell it "N'" themselves, but they spell it wrong! :P

The legal band name is Guns N' .

The issue I would have other than probably losing some meaning in translation of German songs, is I like to sing along too and with my southern US accent, I would sound like shit...:P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

The issue I would have other than probably losing some meaning in German songs, is I like to sing along too and with my southern US accent, I would sound like shit...:P

We had a professor from Arizona at High School, he actually sounded cool.

So try it and make an audio record, I want to hear it.:lol:

Edited by Zurimor

11 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

The issue I would have other than probably losing some meaning in translation of German songs, is I like to sing along too and with my southern US accent, I would sound like shit...:P

I know that, it still looks wrong, so I'll continue to type it "n'" :P

12 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

We had a professor from Arizona at High School, he actually sounded cool.

So try it and make an audio record, I want to hear it.:lol:

I am from Georgia so even after living in Virginia, Missouri, California and Arizona for the past 30 years until I moved back here last year, the southern twang still comes through. When I lived in Tucson, everybody asked if I was from Texas. We need to get back on topic...;)

1 minute ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I am from Georgia so even after living in Virginia, Missouri, California and Arizona for the past 30 years until I moved back here last year, the southern twang still comes through. When I lived in Tucson, everybody asked if I was from Texas. We need to get back on topic...;)

It's just becoming interesting and you say things like this..... :P:lol:

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

It's just becoming interesting and you say things like this..... :P:lol:

:rofl-lol: That's sweet...

Back on topic, I would really love some new GNR music, but until then I will be happy with what we have now. Even after all these years, it still has meaning to me.;)

5 hours ago, Padme said:

Ok who is the new Bruce Springsteen? The new Genesis? The new Black Sabbath? The new David Bowie? The new Pink Floyd? The new Judas Priest? The new AC/DC?  The new Rush? I'm not so sure we have artists of that caliber these days.

new Bruce Springsteen: me

new Genesis: me

new Black Sabbath: me

new David Bowie: me

new Pink Floyd: me

new AC/DC: me

new Rush: me

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Muse? Gojira? Radiohead? Fuck that... I'll take Sabbath, Floyd and DC any day of the week.

Rockstars are a dying breed. 

Dio, Lemmy, Prince...who's next? Ozzy? Keith? Alice? 

Guns were one of the last rockstars, so probably they are the last still alive in 10-15 years.

What comes after them? When their time will come there won't be that kind of BIG rockstars out there anymore... 

That's your opinion. Some people like Radiohead more than anything and that's fine too. Some like Muse more than anything before and that's also fine. Some think that Ghost or whatever band is the best thing ever, also okay. You can't dismiss it like that just because you like those older bands better

There won't be new Lemmy and new Ozzy because the time is changed. First of all, now you can't act (often and in public) like they did 30-40 years ago and be considered cool. If some band released something as good as GnR did back in the day and acted like them they would probably be banned from playing any venue in the world :lol: Rockstar thing died before rockstars actually started to die. Second, now even pop stars aren't as big as they were before. Only Adele achieved that status and that's cause she connected really well to the older audience too.

5 hours ago, Padme said:

That was my point :D One cant't dismiss something just cause he doesn't like it  

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

That's your opinion. Some people like Radiohead more than anything and that's fine too. Some like Muse more than anything before and that's also fine. Some think that Ghost or whatever band is the best thing ever, also okay. You can't dismiss it like that just because you like those older bands better

There won't be new Lemmy and new Ozzy because the time is changed. First of all, now you can't act (often and in public) like they did 30-40 years ago and be considered cool. If some band released something as good as GnR did back in the day and acted like them they would probably be banned from playing any venue in the world :lol: Rockstar thing died before rockstars actually started to die. Second, now even pop stars aren't as big as they were before. Only Adele achieved that status and that's cause she connected really well to the older audience too.

Of course that's my opinion, that's what I said. Even if Muse are selling more tickets to their shows than acts like Sabbath do now I'm curious if they can tour stadiums or big arenas in 40 years.

I don't think they have the same impact as the previous big bands had to the world. Today everything is somehow fading while the Classic Rock is timeless, you know? Of course it's my opinion.

Your other point... I don't know. As you said, times change but I think nobody has the balls to do it the way Guns did it, or many bands before them. Amy Winehouse choosed that way but even if she ... failed, she had major success. People were shocked but she was accepted and had a lot of airplay in radio and MTV. Actually she was a rockstar even when she didn't play rock ;)

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Of course that's my opinion, that's what I said. Even if Muse are selling more tickets to their shows than acts like Sabbath do now I'm curious if they can tour stadiums or big arenas in 40 years.

I don't think they have the same impact as the previous big bands had to the world. Today everything is somehow fading while the Classic Rock is timeless, you know? Of course it's my opinion.

Your other point... I don't know. As you said, times change but I think nobody has the balls to do it the way Guns did it, or many bands before them. Amy Winehouse choosed that way but even if she ... failed, she had major success. People were shocked but she was accepted and had a lot of airplay in radio and MTV. Actually she was a rockstar even when she didn't play rock ;)

Well, Nirvana did, too, but that was pretty much the last band.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2017 at 11:38 AM, RussTCB said:

There's PLENTY of great music out there these days, you just have to look for it is all. I'm all for hearing more GN'R songs but not because there's a lack of other good music.

i just shake my head when people say "rock is dead". what other genre of music is still as popular? hear any new 40's style music anymore? j/s...

• 1 month later...