The 80s Needed Guns 'N' Roses

AFD5

Now don't get me wrong the mid to late 80s was a perfect time to be a rock music fan with MTV it was given huge airplay but like the mid 70s before it something was missing to give a kick up the arse. As we know in 1976 along came the Sex Pistols & the punk movement that certainly shook things up. We all know the history of Guns & I think they came along at just the right time. The reason they eventually appealed to just about everyone on the planet apart from the great music was the duel image they portrayed. The good guy bad guy image you had the long haired bandana wearing hippy crossed with the tattooed drinking, smoking,drug taking bad guy image. They must have been every teenage kids parents nightmare until they eventually won them round lol. They came along & not only changed the face of music they even made tattoos cool usually the only people that had tattoos were sailors or ex prisoners. When you think that AFD is the biggest debut album of all time. I very much doubt it'll be ever beaten. Guns were in the right place at the right time & we're what the 80s Needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I still think we need it....quite frankly the music industry has really become too PC. I would much rather have music from people who have the balls to stand up for themselves...:shrugs:

Absolutely I agree we are ready again for a music revolution we are now inundated with x-factor, the voice etc. All of it is frankly shite their are no guitarists, front men etc now it's just faceless wonders churning out rehashed computer generated backing tracks, to a helium induced chipmunk singing vocal. I honestly can't remember the last time anything new came on the tv or radio that caught my attention span. Our kids are a lost music generation unless we ourselves have educated them into listening to Classic Rock. My kids vary in age between 31 & 14 all of them appreciate Classic Rock wether it be Guns, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, KISS etc. I'm surprised nobody especially over here in the U.K. has come up with a battle of the bands tv show I think it would be much more entertaining I'm not saying we'd find the new Guns but it'd be more entertaining than what's on now.

Am I the only one annoyed by the 'N' in the title. :P should be " N' " 

Anywho, they certainly came around at the right time. Similar to Aerosmith, Metallica, etc. The music spoke to the kids who were outcasts and misunderstood. It gave them something to relate to and make them feel like they weren't alone.

I hate "there is not good new music" comments so much. Music is so easily accessible these days that you can't really complain. My favorite newly discovered band of 2016 is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Australian psychedelic rock band formed in 2010. There is exactly 0.0001% chance that I could hear about a band like them in the 80s. 

Music industry changed, pop stars and fake rappers are the biggest thing right now but it's really easy to avoid all of that. There are so many rock/indie/pop/metal/edm festivals, themed clubs... Why would you even care about pop stars? 

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I hate "there is not good new music" comments so much. Music is so easily accessible these days that you can't really complain. My favorite newly discovered band of 2016 is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Australian psychedelic rock band formed in 2010. There is exactly 0.0001% chance that I could hear about a band like them in the 80s. 

Music industry changed, pop stars and fake rappers are the biggest thing right now but it's really easy to avoid all of that. There are so many rock/indie/pop/metal/edm festivals, themed clubs... Why would you even care about pop stars? 

Did somebody piss on your cornflakes ?

10 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Did somebody piss on your cornflakes ?

:rofl-lol: That is funny, I almost said the same thing in another thread to someone earlier today

I do know that there are some good bands around these days, but my comments were meant to be that the world could use more like GNR these days as well. It's really strange how people don't seem to really get into the music and have fun anymore, look at the concert videos lately, why is everyone just kinda standing there staring at the bands on stage?? :shrugs::shrugs::shrugs:

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Ok who is the new Bruce Springsteen? The new Genesis? The new Black Sabbath? The new David Bowie? The new Pink Floyd? The new Judas Priest? The new AC/DC?  The new Rush? I'm not so sure we have artists of that caliber these days.

24 minutes ago, Padme said:

Ok who is the new Bruce Springsteen? The new Genesis? The new Black Sabbath? The new David Bowie? The new Pink Floyd? The new Judas Priest? The new AC/DC?  The new Rush? I'm not so sure we have artists of that caliber these days.

My point exactly;)

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Rock music was at its worst in the 1980s.  Only place where any of it was good was the underground stuff and that was pretty far from rock anyway.  Best thing goin' on in the mainstream was like The Smiths or The Stone Roses.

You obviously took to many E's the 80s were a brilliant time for rock music 3 classic albums alone will turn 30 this year namely AFD,Whitesnake 87 & Hysteria. 

Just now, AFD5 said:

You obviously took to many E's the 80s were a brilliant time for rock music 3 classic albums alone will turn 30 this year namely AFD,Whitesnake 87 & Hysteria. 

Nah i took most of my E's in the 90s fella, thanks, you sound like you spent too much time listening to a load of fuckin' shite in the 80s cuz the only album out of those three thats worth a shit is AFD, the other two are an embarassment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah i took most of my E's in the 90s fella, thanks, you sound like you spent too much time listening to a load of fuckin' shite in the 80s cuz the only album out of those three thats worth a shit is AFD, the other two are an embarassment.

No bother mate each to their own & all that

5 minutes ago, Padme said:

You can't have the new Black Sabbath and the new Pink Floyd but I'll do the reverse question. Where is the old Radiohead? Where is the old Muse? Where is the old Gojira? Where is the old Dillinger Escape Plan? Nowhere, cause it's different now. It's still good, full of awesome bands and crazy talented people. It's just different 

The thing is that you can't have those guys again and you should not. Those guys expended on something previously done and did it in an amazing way and that's what's made them legendary but also, they were able to get to a wider audience. Nowadays, you can't expended Metallica's sound and expect that to be legendary cause it's way to aggressive and loud for average listener. Same goes for Rush and Pink Floyd, there are so many awesome prog bands right now but they are different to them cause nobody want's to listen to copycats, people want something new. Go and explore, you'll be amazed how many amazing bands are out there in prog rock right now

35 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

:rofl-lol: That is funny, I almost said the same thing in another thread to someone earlier today

I do know that there are some good bands around these days, but my comments were meant to be that the world could use more like GNR these days as well. It's really strange how people don't seem to really get into the music and have fun anymore, look at the concert videos lately, why is everyone just kinda standing there staring at the bands on stage?? :shrugs::shrugs::shrugs:

Was talking more about the post before yours and in general :D Yeah, I hate that but there are so many great audiences still, just not at the most mainstream shows. 

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

You can't have the new Black Sabbath and the new Pink Floyd but I'll do the reverse question. Where is the old Radiohead? Where is the old Muse? Where is the old Gojira? Where is the old Dillinger Escape Plan? Nowhere, cause it's different now. It's still good, full of awesome bands and crazy talented people. It's just different 

The thing is that you can't have those guys again and you should not. Those guys expended on something previously done and did it in an amazing way and that's what's made them legendary but also, they were able to get to a wider audience. Nowadays, you can't expended Metallica's sound and expect that to be legendary cause it's way to aggressive and loud for average listener. Same goes for Rush and Pink Floyd, there are so many awesome prog bands right now but they are different to them cause nobody want's to listen to copycats, people want something new. Go and explore, you'll be amazed how many amazing bands are out there in prog rock right now

Was talking more about the post before yours and in general :D Yeah, I hate that but there are so many great audiences still, just not at the most mainstream shows. 

I saw it on the Axl ACDC videos...it's fuckin' ACDC why are you standing there with your thumbs up your asses?? Just too weird..:P:P:P