Sound Technician - Axl Rose Live

I was wondering if somebody knows who is he? Since 2010, in every concert i went, there is a kind of problem with the volume of his voice. When Axl sings high, the volume increases notably and i could hear him loud and clear. However in another parts of the concerts, like NR or the first part of Estranged, i had to make an effort to distinguish him from the rest of them.

The curious thing is that ocurred only when i was near the stage, when i step back is like a completely different sound, very much clear and equalized.

I went to the 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2016 concerts!

Thanks! (sorry for my english, its been a long time without since i've written anything)

1. lower pitches are harder to hear as their soundwaves are big and long and can get muddled in the mix of a big arena/stadium

2. Axl sings much louder in his high voice, almost screaming during songs like nightrain/my michelle

3.  the closer to the front of the stage, the shitter the sound, as the PA isn't set up for the front row peeps.

PS. their live mixer is Caram, who produced and mixed chinese democracy

Edited by Cory Trevor

5 hours ago, Gurri said:

I was wondering if somebody knows who is he? Since 2010, in every concert i went, there is a kind of problem with the volume of his voice. When Axl sings high, the volume increases notably and i could hear him loud and clear. However in another parts of the concerts, like NR or the first part of Estranged, i had to make an effort to distinguish him from the rest of them.

The curious thing is that ocurred only when i was near the stage, when i step back is like a completely different sound, very much clear and equalized.

Thanks! (sorry for my english, its been a long time without since i've written anything)

Hmmm, weird.  For the two Vegas shows in April I was straight back the first night and in the pit night 2.  The sound is never the best up front, but I did not notice it to be terribly worse up front and certainly did not notice the issues you mentioned myself.

Axl sounds the best and clearest on the Seeker. It's the voice he uses, it projects well and is easy to hear bc it draws closer to his talking voice 

everyone I've taken to a concert where this is played loves this performance. But it's really just the crisp audio you get on it, there's no distortion and Axl sounds great. 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

When I saw them in Cincinnati, I did notice the volume of his singing was low at certain points. I don't remember what songs this happened on. It also happened maybe 3-4 times throughout the concert. Mind you my seats weren't on the floor. 

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl sounds the best and clearest on the Seeker. It's the voice he uses, it projects well and is easy to hear bc it draws closer to his talking voice 

everyone I've taken to a concert where this is played loves this performance. But it's really just the crisp audio you get on it, there's no distortion and Axl sounds great. 

He should have used his normal voice at the bridge school performance, he knew he was not well and his throat was messed up, so using his normal talking voice in singing songs would have been much better in that situation. 

I remember back in 93 at Gentofte (Copenhagen) it was very loud. Axl's voice was clear and loud. In 2006 at Roskilde Festival (Denmark) it was too low but you could hear Axl fine. Im looking forward to hear GNR again in Parken (Copenhagen) this year. And hopefully I can hear him loud and clear. 

1 hour ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

What is reverb?

The echoey, atmospheric sound effect that's present on some of the songs at concerts. He definitely still uses it. Regarding why his voice is so low in the mix now, I would guess that Axl is aware of his vocal limitations now and has it set that way. Some songs he bites through with force and others he might as well have his mic turned off. It's weird but eitherway what he's doing at 54 years old is phenomenal. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Which songs projects best/worst when you hear it live at the stadium??

Best are songs like This I Love, Sorry, Patience outro, Live and Let Die, Seeker, Chinese Democracy, 

Worst are songs like November Rain, Paradise City, SCOM, first couple min of nightrain, my Michelle, 

and it doesn't make the performances bad but Axl's natural voice is very clear and when they isolate his vocals it helps. Also when he goes for it with the power vocals he's easy to hear.

good projection

bad projection 

great projection 

terrible projection I always forget Axl is actually singing this song. 

Would probably sound better if they threw a compressor on his voice, but that will also cause noticeable differences in volume of whatever his microphone is near (such as guitar/bass amps, or the drums) when hes singing 

On 12.1.2017 at 6:36 PM, Gurri said:

Sound-wise, the best place to be always is close to the mixer. ;)

Thanks to all for the replies. I know that near the stage the sound is worst than other parts of a stadium but at some points of the you can barely hear him. This never happened me when i went to another concerts. 

In 2010, axl stopped because the fans couldnt hear his voice at all... in the next gigs the sound was better but in certain songs the problem persist: nr for me was intrumental in 2016