Sequel Fatigue

Dan H.

RLM isn't entirely blameless when the majority of their reviews are for these same films; on the other hand, can't entirely blame them since those are the ones that get the clicks/ad revenue. But where's a review of an original film like Passengers?

I liked the video, but I'm still looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 and War for the Planet of the Apes. I loved Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, more than any of the other Apes films. If you'd told me my favourite in the series would be a sequel to a reboot...

Edited by Amir

13 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Such valuable imput :lol:

What do you think about the surplus of sequels and reboots lately? 

My input is that there's plenty of trash sequels, and plenty of amazing sequels, just as there are plenty of trash "original" films, as well as many great ones.

Did there have to be another sequel to the Underworld movies or 7 Resident Evil movies? Probably not. Are they cinematic masterpieces? Of course not. But, they are mindless fun. Not every film can be like Hugo or Arrival, nor would I want them to be.

If I want to just watch something fun and enjoyable, I can watch a movie like them, but it's when I see movies like Arrival that I get reminded "This is why I love movies."

Hell, look at the last two Mission Impossible movies; 4th and 5th in the series and two of the best, if not THE best in the series. 

Also, at the end of the day, movies are money makers and not every one is made to tell a story. Some are "Let's have fun and make some money", which is perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

My input is that there's plenty of trash sequels, and plenty of amazing sequels, just as there are plenty of trash "original" films, as well as many great ones.

Did there have to be another sequel to the Underworld movies or 7 Resident Evil movies? Probably not. Are they cinematic masterpieces? Of course not. But, they are mindless fun. Not every film can be like Hugo or Arrival, nor would I want them to be.

If I want to just watch something fun and enjoyable, I can watch a movie like them, but it's when I see movies like Arrival that I get reminded "This is why I love movies."

Hell, look at the last two Mission Impossible movies; 4th and 5th in the series and two of the best, if not THE best in the series. 

Also, at the end of the day, movies are money makers and not every one is made to tell a story. Some are "Let's have fun and make some money", which is perfectly fine.

My issue with the "mindless fun" thing is that a lot of the time they aren't fun. They're just boring, characterless garbage that piles up every year. Of course plenty of originals are terrible too.

Just because something has action, explosions, and fight scenes doesn't make a movie fun. The Underworld and Resident Evil movies for example are a chore to get through, and they're super dark, serious, boring and dreary. None of that is fun.

The new Mission Impossible movies have been good, but they could have been original films and still have been just as good. Adding the title Mission Impossible does nothing really.

Edited by Dan H.

1 minute ago, Black Sabbath said:

*In your opinion

I'm not big on the Resident Evil movies, but I do enjoy the Underworld movies.

Trust me, I'm not drawn to the Michael Bay explosion catastrophes, but certain 'drone' movies can still be fun.

Well, in the majority opinion I'd say. Both franchise enjoy abysmal reviews from critics and internet viewers/polls alike. :shrugs:

Not bashin on your tastes, just applying a reference for my point. Fun popcorn flicks are one thing, I'm no snob, but a lot of these franchises suffer from issues that are noticeable and affect how enjoyable the film is.

Nobody goes into every movie expecting high art lol. But if your goal is to make a fun simple flick, you still have to make it good. Fun and mindless isn't the same thing as a bad film.

I gotta admit, there are a few sequels this year I am looking forward to. SW, Alien, I'm a sucker for whatever Marvel is throwing around each year, probably will check out the new Blade Runner, too.

Even so, this tread towards known titles and franchises is a fairly recent phenomenon (last decade or so). As the cost of movies go up, studios are less and less likely to take risks on original content. Wonder if we will soon see a trend of independent filmmakers utilizing the internet to produce and release films. Tbh I'm surprised theaters haven't been antiquated already 

Not sure what your point about the Mission Impossible movies is. The Underworld and RE sequels could be original movies and still be mindless shit too. My point was that the MI movies are sequels that are great, and it isn't just a chance effort either, consider all of them besides the second are critically acclaimed films.

And for arguments sake, the Underworld movies generally get decently positive 'user' reviews. Resident Evil, not so much.

Again, do most film series need a ton of sequels? Of course not. The Force Awakens and Rogue One were certainly not needed and Rogue One is fairly forgettable, in my opinion. But, both are very well done movies. That doesn't mean they were necessary though.

While I really do see your point, I don't see the big issue. Bottom line, movies (maybe a less so), just like music, are subjective and open to various opinions. The same person who loved Underworld might have thought Arrival was boring trash. Then there's someone like myself who can recognize enjoyment in both.

I don't get upset over sequels and remakes. I love movies and welcome most with an open mind, and even if I enjoy certain poorly received movies, I can usually recognize why they were received the way they were.

• Like 1

Sequels have always been a part of Hollywood's money making machine, and naturally some fare better than others.

I can't get into the superhero thing but I certainly won't criticize those who enjoy the films. That said, what I do find funny is there are people on my Facebook who always bitch about everything who'll say stuff like "wow they're making another Fast and Furious? They should give it up already!" but then two statuses later are ecstatic about the third reincarnation of Spider-Man or the fourteenth Marvel sequel to come out this year.

Nothing wrong with either franchise really - people like what they like.

Sure, there's plenty of arguments to be made against Hollywood's artistry but the same is true of any decade. The Internet just gives a larger voice. For example, I'm sure plenty of people in 1990 were tired of Rocky sequels.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No. Apart from Rocky V

Exactly - Rocky V's terrible reviews certainly didn't help but the box office drop was huge. Rocky IV was no masterpiece of a film and yet it's the highest grossing one. That illustrates my point exactly - the Hollywood money making machine was already at work. That many sequels to Rocky may not have been necessary but they continued to make money so the studio was happy to let Sly keep going.

We see the same thing happening now. Rebootquels galore and sequels but it's only because they keep making money.

Perhaps Bond is a better example - audiences by 1989 were definitely tired of the Bond formula. Lots of people blame Timothy Dalton and the public's reluctance to accept him in the role but I think the subsequent break was necessary to revitalize the batteries.

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I was giving you shit for the original line. Yes, it's technically a new IP but it's really a by-the-numbers rom com with a science fiction veneer, starring two of the most popular actors in Hollywood. 

I liked the film, even if it didn't live up to the script. I can't name another "rom-com" that deals with the same decisions the characters in Passengers had to make.