1993 GNR's BEST LIVE YEAR

The skin and bones and all the euro concerts SA hartford is the best documented concert of how good they sounded and vibed live 

we see an although detached axl on his best form of all time pounding out songs that have not really been performed in ages or in some cases for the first time 

IMO Axl and the band including sorum who had made a good turn sound great 

if they don't exceeed this sound now then there is no fucking point in hell for the aliens 

• Like 1

IMO, they were sounding amazing at that point but they weren't half as good as the original band.

Matt is way better than Frank but he didn't do that much better when it came to playing some of Steven's stuff. Mr. Brownstone's intro is fn' painful to see.

Slash + Izzy + Axl + Duff + Steven = GNR. Matt & Gilby were aliens as much as the new ones, even though I liked them more (mostly Matt over Frank, 'cause I do like Richard).

No other incarnation will reach this level of magic. Love you AFD5 :heart:

• Like 2

1993 was great. But in my opinion 1991 was the best live year. Playing the big venues on their own was still challenging and exciting for them + there was still some kind if "us against the rest of the world"- mentality. Indiana 91 is a good example.

• Like 2

Just now, zombux said:

I might be bashed for this, but I think every single GNR live year was extremely interesting. maybe except for 2013. that was weird,

but besides that one, you can find a really interesting bit at each of them!

I agree with that,but I'll add 2012 and 2011 to that list though :) 

1985: Pretty obvious, GN'R's first year together
1986: The band has written a lot of great songs and becoming a big name in LA.
1987: Appetite is released and they tour both the US and Europe as opening acts.
1988: GN'R gets their breakthrough and tour almost constantly. 
1989: The band only plays 6 shows, opening for The Stones, and every single one is amazing.
1991: First time the band plays stadiums as a headlining band, and touring 2 new albums even before they are released.
1992: Yes I like the so called "circus". I think some songs really benefited from it, bash me all you want.
1993: Skin N' Bones tour, Izzy returns and last year of the classic era.

2001: Exiting times as Axl returns with his new vision for GN'R with only 4 shows played as Buckethead got sick.
2002: Touring with the new line up and both Axl and the band seems motivated to release CD and show that the band still got it, even in this reincarnation.
2006: New lineup, Axl vocals are back and he begins to look like a rock star again instead of the weird 2002 look.
2007: A year which many fans forget, basically everything I said about 2006.
2009: First year touring after CD's release, new line up and Axl's vocals are great.
2010: Even better vocals that reminds me a lot of 90s Axl.
2011: Meh
2012: Meh
2013: Even more meh
2014: Duff returning for the SA leg, residency in Vegas which turns out to be the CD eras last shows. The last few shows are some of Axl best since 2010 with a lot of deep cuts in the setlist.
2016: REUNION!

17 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

IMO, they were sounding amazing at that point but they weren't half as good as the original band.

Matt is way better than Frank but he didn't do that much better when it came to playing some of Steven's stuff. Mr. Brownstone's intro is fn' painful to see.

Slash + Izzy + Axl + Duff + Steven = GNR. Matt & Gilby were aliens as much as the new ones, even though I liked them more (mostly Matt over Frank, 'cause I do like Richard).

No other incarnation will reach this level of magic. Love you AFD5 :heart:

100% this. This is GnR.

• Like 1

they were great in the late 80's and hungry for it, put on some great shows and im jealous of those lucky enough to see them back then. you could argue that the setlists where limited though.

UYI tour 91/92 was a travelling circus. not complaining as it sounded great and hey, they pulled it off. it lacked the rawness of the 80's though.

skin n' bones of 93 was freckin awesome. 4 of the 5 original guys. no backing singers, no tambourines, apart from dizzy reed it was just 5 guys playing some hard raw sounding shit. those skin n' bone shows where for sure the best shows of the 90's and axl was at his peak.

all shows since then have been very good/excellent. new line ups but axl still stinging GNR songs with passion as you would expect. just lacks the magic of the early days though

2011 and 2012 were memorable for good and bad reasons. Rio debacle, Estranged/Civil War, HOF lineup, etc

And any year of classic GNR seemed amazing. Wish I could have seen them in their prime, glad I got the real deal finally in 2016

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

They were stripped back down to a six piece and it proves that Dizzy was all you needed to "fill out the sound"

100% this, Dizzy could handle the Chinese songs just fine, and they'd probably sound even better live with some new arrangements on piano instead of synth's and all those layers.

• Like 2