a quick Q about Patience from Appetite For Democracy DVD

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

thanks!

love how Axl says that withot missing a beat!

Yeah he is quick on his feet. I notice how he does things like that all the time, even during interviews he will see something and will say something about it and get right back on track. He did it during the CA interviews commenting on people shades, watches and socks. And in an old Kurt Loder interview he noticed a hummingbird and said now its gone. :P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Typo

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Yeah he is quick on his feet. I notice how he does things like that all the time, even during interviews he will see something and will say something about it and get right back on track. He did it during the CA interviews commenting on people shades, watches and socks. And in an old Kurt Older interview he noticed a hummingbird and said now its gone. :P

yeah!

love how you called Kurt Loder "Older"!

you are right he is older like the rest of us!

Image result for kurt loder axl rose youtube        Image result for kurt loder axl rose  

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah!

love how you called Kurt Loder "Older"!

you are right he is older like the rest of us!

Image result for kurt loder axl rose youtube        Image result for kurt loder axl rose  

Oops total typo did not do that on purpose, was posting from cell phone...but it is funny :rofl-lol:

I fixed it, I hate typos..:P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Typo
  • Like 1

https://youtu.be/bmSFIp17Ank

@whatashame check out the link above, same clip but it seems something was going on before the song started, Axl says something about they're trying to hurt me, you know its a conspiracy, a dumb  or fun spiracy and goes off and changes jackets...I tried to read Tommy's lips but the only word I could really make out was fuck, maybe don't fuck it up?? Sorry I can't post the youtube other than the link, having some sort of security issue with my tablet. ;)

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo

Imagine how galling it would have been for the other guys in that band (Axl GNR 09-14) to have to share the stage with a "lead guitarist" that was incapable of performing the material.

If I was Ron or Richard, everytime DJ played a solo I'd be making a point of taking my hands off the guitar and pointing towards Ashba- otherwise people might think they were the ones responsible.

I really wonder what the fuck was going on with Axl, like how the fuck did he tolerate Ashba's abysmal performances (and embarrassing looks/behaviour) for...5 YEARS?

Lowest point in the GNR history for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Is this a prank? :facepalm:

I thought it was a stunning solo, even if it didn't really fit the song, it worked somehow in Vegas. 

People are too hard on Dj, he's obviously a good guitarist. Just his image is the wrong side of the line. 

2 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Imagine how galling it would have been for the other guys in that band (Axl GNR 09-14) to have to share the stage with a "lead guitarist" that was incapable of performing the material.

If I was Ron or Richard, everytime DJ played a solo I'd be making a point of taking my hands off the guitar and pointing towards Ashba- otherwise people might think they were the ones responsible.

I really wonder what the fuck was going on with Axl, like how the fuck did he tolerate Ashba's abysmal performances (and embarrassing looks/behaviour) for...5 YEARS?

It would be pretty depressing to have Bumble's or Fortus' level of skill and have to tolerate that mess in your IEM.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, wasted said:

I thought it was a stunning solo, even if it didn't really fit the song, it worked somehow in Vegas. 

People are too hard on Dj, he's obviously a good guitarist. Just his image is the wrong side of the line. 

Shredding and pedals on Patience, which as originally a fully acoustic song is just wrong. His solo follows a fair scale but it's not very pleasing to the ears. 

And DJ Ashba is not an amazing guitarist- he's average at best. He can't even play the whole Sweet Child solo which is pathetic for a "amazing, professional guitarist".

21 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Shredding and pedals on Patience, which as originally a fully acoustic song is just wrong. His solo follows a fair scale but it's not very pleasing to the ears. 

And DJ Ashba is not an amazing guitarist- he's average at best. He can't even play the whole Sweet Child solo which is pathetic for a "amazing, professional guitarist".

Or he just had an off night. How can that be true though, they could get just about anyone and SCOM solo isn't hard to play? Ron should have done it maybe. Maybe its just style, Slash is stirring clear of nailing the CD solos. But he's Slash, so he gets a pass. 

I thought solo was fun and impressive. Of course it's not exactly the original but I'm pretty bored of that by now. You sort of got how that line up would do Patience in the studio in 2012. 

But I get the idea of keping it like the record too. I could see the point in shitting on Dj if it got him kicked out of GNR. But it didn't, if anything it made Axl stay loyal to him. So it's more like not accepting he's not Steve Vai or has a different style. He's bad because of that and not being Slash. I just can't see criticizing him for that. 

Edited by wasted

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Or he just had an off night. How can that be true though, they could get just about anyone and SCOM solo isn't hard to play? Ron should have done it maybe. Maybe its just style, Slash is stirring clear of nailing the CD solos. But he's Slash, so he gets a pass. 

I thought solo was fun and impressive. Of course it's not exactly the original but I'm pretty bored of that by now. You sort of got how that line up would do Patience in the studio in 2012. 

But I get the idea of keping it like the record too. I could see the point in shitting on Dj if it got him kicked out of GNR. But it didn't, if anything it made Axl stay loyal to him. So it's more like not accepting he's not Steve Vai or has a different style. He's bad because of that and not being Slash. I just can't see criticizing him for that. 

No, it wasn't an off night. Bumblefoot took the second half of the solo every night from 2009-2014. That means there was a GNR guitarist who couldn't play their signature solo. Even Finck did the whole thing. The solo is challenging, yes, but possible. 

And I'm not against straying from the record- I liked Finck's patience solo better than Slash's. It's pretty much DJ that set me off. The solo isn't very good from a technical stand point and barely serves as a solo in the sense in is that it's at least technically in a scale. DJ Ashba was not a good guitarist though. Especially not for Guns. People didn't criticize him for not being Slash- people criticize him because he's awful.

I think tommy told him to extend the solo because tommy or someone else in the band had to go do something real quick. As you can see Tommy Runs away fast right after and DJ completely extended the solo. I think everyone was just laughing at the longer solo not because they didn't like it just because it's funny they had to do it to get something or other done, is my opinion.

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No, it wasn't an off night. Bumblefoot took the second half of the solo every night from 2009-2014. That means there was a GNR guitarist who couldn't play their signature solo. Even Finck did the whole thing. The solo is challenging, yes, but possible. 

And I'm not against straying from the record- I liked Finck's patience solo better than Slash's. It's pretty much DJ that set me off. The solo isn't very good from a technical stand point and barely serves as a solo in the sense in is that it's at least technically in a scale. DJ Ashba was not a good guitarist though. Especially not for Guns. People didn't criticize him for not being Slash- people criticize him because he's awful.

I just don't see why they would hire an awful guitarist. It's more a matter of taste. Maybe he's not the most technical, but he seems pretty good to me. The Ballad of Death solo is great. Maybe it is style or his stage presence. He just looks good playing the Chi dem riff and knows what to wear and the poses. I guess Slash is both, so they need Dj and Ron to cover all the bases. Dj might have his limitations but he's been successful with Sixx Am so how bad is he really. He's played with Motely and Guns. I have no knowledge of guitar so I have to just assume he's good enough for Nikki and Axl. But yeah in comparison to Slash in GNR it's no contest but does that mean he's awful? 

11 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

I think tommy told him to extend the solo because tommy or someone else in the band had to go do something real quick. As you can see Tommy Runs away fast right after and DJ completely extended the solo. I think everyone was just laughing at the longer solo not because they didn't like it just because it's funny they had to do it to get something or other done, is my opinion.

Did Tommy leave the stage? 

17 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

frank the drummer and richard the guitar player are just as abysmal when it comes to playin GNR songs

the fact that 99% of the people dont notice how ridiculous is the playing of this richard guitar player dude is likely because he is playing rhythm most of the time and it is not that noticeable

to make matters worse, richard the guitar player has a truly, truly cringe-inducing stage presence

music-wise, and stage performance-wise, axl been a very tolerant guy since the tracy and robert days

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I just don't see why they would hire an awful guitarist. It's more a matter of taste. Maybe he's not the most technical, but he seems pretty good to me. The Ballad of Death solo is great. Maybe it is style or his stage presence. He just looks good playing the Chi dem riff and knows what to wear and the poses. I guess Slash is both, so they need Dj and Ron to cover all the bases. Dj might have his limitations but he's been successful with Sixx Am so how bad is he really. He's played with Motely and Guns. I have no knowledge of guitar so I have to just assume he's good enough for Nikki and Axl. But yeah in comparison to Slash in GNR it's no contest but does that mean he's awful? 

Axl hired him because he lost his vision and started to give up on the CD era. I have a strong knowledge of guitar and I can tell you a lot is wrong with DJ. He should've never been in Guns. He's successful sure but not a good guitarist. And no, not being Slash in GNR doesn't make you bad- many people like and supported Finck, Bucket and Bumble.

11 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

To me it looked like he did. He ran behind the drum rizer I think but IDK that was just my guess that Tommy told him to extend the solo, that had to be it because that solo made absolutely no sense lol

I forget that it's a dvd and parts were edited out. Like the Don't Let It Get You Down was not included. 

Maybe the solo was Dj's revenge for Tommy trying to put him off. In a way I saw the dvd as Axl's thank you that line up. You aren't going to play or get credits on a real GNR record but you can play a solo on Patience, go wild. 

Chinese for Destruction does seem like the next evolution. 

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Axl hired him because he lost his vision and started to give up on the CD era. I have a strong knowledge of guitar and I can tell you a lot is wrong with DJ. He should've never been in Guns. He's successful sure but not a good guitarist. And no, not being Slash in GNR doesn't make you bad- many people like and supported Finck, Bucket and Bumble.

He is a good guitarist and he "was" a great replacement for Slash. If you listen to his previous work with the band Beatiful Creatures his solos are almost as close to Slash solos you can get while still being totally original. This is most likely what Axl had heard of his and why he wanted him as the guitarist. When he got there I have no clue what happened he just dropped the ball or forgot how to play good idk but I can see why Axl and myself thought he would be a great fit.

I think Dj was vital stage presence/image wise to that line up. Axl and Ron just didn't look that cool. But if you squint real hard you can see a top hat and cigarette and feel nostalia for something you never experienced. 

Edited by wasted

3 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

He is a good guitarist and he "was" a great replacement for Slash. If you listen to his previous work with the band Beatiful Creatures his solos are almost as close to Slash solos you can get while still being totally original. This is most likely what Axl had heard of his and why he wanted him as the guitarist. When he got there I have no clue what happened he just dropped the ball or forgot how to play good idk but I can see why Axl and myself thought he would be a great fit.

As a guitar player I can say that his work in Beautiful Creatures does not resemble Slash's style much, at all

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Bucket and Bumble are virtuosos you can't really criticize them for guitar. Finck was more the feel player, I think that was Dj's job. Dj might not be that good but he's not that bad either. I just can't believe he plays guitar as his job and he's that bad. I think he has a style and applied it sometimes when maybe he should have just stuck to the script. I thought he brought a more glam rock feel to everything, instead of the more avante garde Finck. In the end though Dj and Ron were hired to tour CD. It worked until 2011 then they became a Vegas act. I really felt that Axl and Dj could do at least one song. I think Baz said he heard one they did and it was awesome. 

8 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

DJ's solos sound like punky, emo feel guitar. Far from the bluesy stones-influenced Slash solos.

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think Dj was vital stage presence/image wise to that line up. Axl and Ron just didn't look that cool. But if you squint real hard you can see a top hat and cigarette and feel nostalia for something you never experienced. 

Axl and Ron could've looked badass with some proper advertising. Imagine if there were interviews during this time period, new music, behind the scenes and heavily documented videos of the new band. But instead Axl and Ron were presented as employee and boss or just two strangers who barely interacted. And DJ is a joke on stage- all that makeup and accessories and a sell out to Monster Energy Drinks. To many, he was a 4th rate slash clone.