a quick Q about Patience from Appetite For Democracy DVD

1. at the end of the slow part of the song, Ashba plays his guitar solo and Stinson says something to him. Can you read his lips and tell me what he says? That's the part when Ashba doesn't react to him.

Then Dizzy and Bumblefoot start to clap and laugh and Axl comments Ashba's playing by saying "living the dream" to the microphone.

starts at 3 min 30 sec

What's up with that? This looks like sarcasm to me.  I remember we used to send gifs around this forum with GNR members making fun of Ashba's playing during the Patience solo. Does it come from that time? Are they just hazing him, for a lack of a better word? Or is it something else I just don't get?

2. When the 2nd part of the song starts, you know the one when you think the song is over but they start playing again, Dizzy plays some piano part that I am sure comes from another famous classic rock song. I can't remember which one to save my life.

starts at 4 min 35 sec in the video I posted above

yea, thanks. have a nice weekend y'all

• Like 1

i usually love these kind of topics

but ive learned to refrain myself from watching the axl-solo era videos

specially when they play GNR songs

i dont want these silly performances to get into my mind

===

the topic of no-lyrics-stuff being said during a live performance of Patience reminds me of first night Rio 1991

midway the song (3m20s) Axl says something like "(...) big lens, Robert"

(if anyone understands the whole sentence id love to know!)

"Robert" is likely Robert John, who was something of a official GNR photographer at that point

• Like 1

Had forgot about Pitman until I watched this... Melissa is so much better.

Anyway I find this interesting and I do believe it has something to do with Tommy not enjoying DJ's take on the solo and letting him know that (Tommy seems to laugh afterwords so he probably said something sarcastic), DJ for some reason starting to show of his "shredding skills" (why DJ, why?) as a fuck you to Tommy and the rest of the band think it's silly.

That my take on it at least.

2 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

So you're deliberately going off topic because you can't fathom a particular era of GNR? Grow up.

oh than you so much for the tip!

i wanna grow up in order to be able to do grown-up stuff!

like tellig a complete stranger in a guns n roses forum that he needs to grow up!

that is such a fun and grow-up thing to do!

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

oh than you so much for the tip!

i wanna grow up in order to be able to do grown-up stuff!

like tellig a complete stranger in a guns n roses forum that he needs to grow up!

that is such a fun and grow-up thing to do!

But you did go off topic because you can't fathom a particular era of GNR. Which means..he had every right for that comment, that's very childish behaviour.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

But you did go off topic because you can't fathom a particular era of GNR. Which means..he had every right for that comment, that's very childish behaviour.

oh thanks for telling me that!

i really wanna cut the childish behavior and grow up and be like you guys

its such fun being a grown up, going on mygnrforum and telling other people that they have childish behavior and that they need to grow up!

that's what grown up people do!

24 minutes ago, wasted said:

Maybe because it was being filmed Dj was taking it seriously. And Tommy was taking the piss because he's drunk. Trying to put him off. Axl joins in with the Livin' the Dream. Ron cracks up. 

Dj's solo is amazing. 

I'm with you until your final sentence.

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i usually love these kind of topics

but ive learned to refrain myself from watching the axl-solo era videos

specially when they play GNR songs

i dont want these silly performances to get into my mind

===

the topic of no-lyrics-stuff being said during a live performance of Patience reminds me of first night Rio 1991

midway the song (3m20s) Axl says something like "(...) big lens, Robert"

(if anyone understands the whole sentence id love to know!)

"Robert" is likely Robert John, who was something of a official GNR photographer at that point

That's a mighty big lens Robert is what he said

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo

This, this performance,this solo, this guy it's just excruciating :facepalm: So cringeworthy, it happens to be funny.

4 hours ago, janrichmond said:

was he singing like that as a joke?

i shouldn't laugh, i shoudn't laugh omg :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: But to be fair, his voice was not that bad in this particular performance, I've seen worst from him, unfortunately :cry:

• Like 1