What Are Most Concert Goers Reaction on ChiDem Songs?

CD and This I Love get good reactions. Better gets polite applause.... and IMO it has a lot to do with Axl. The song is too aggressive to be sung in that high clean voice. Better's always been sorta hit-and-miss live but the clean vocals don't help it.

And in Seattle, I was stoked when they started playing Catcher, but nobody else seemed to know it except for one guy, right beside me, who was jumping and going crazy for it. :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

CD and This I Love get good reactions. Better gets polite applause.... and IMO it has a lot to do with Axl. The song is too aggressive to be sung in that high clean voice. Better's always been sorta hit-and-miss live but the clean vocals don't help it.

I feel Axl's singing of Better was much improved during the later dates of the South American tour. I hope it stays on the set list! 

A few casuals I know,

Dad- Texted me if Better was a CD song during the show. Kind of likes the song, CD, but wouldnt miss it at a show

Aunt- Didnt like Better

Sister- Didnt know CD, didnt like Better, really liked TiL

Friend- Disliked the record before the show. Took him to the Vegas reunion, came around to them and likes Better and TIL in particular

• Like 1

Chi dem gets a good reaction because it's a exciting song. Better is appreciated because it's a good song. TIL highlights Axl's vocals and Slash's solo. Catcher is the only song I saw get a sing along type reaction other than Better. Sorry is more dark introspection so I don't expect whoo hoos. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I feel Axl's singing of Better was much improved during the later dates of the South American tour. I hope it stays on the set list! 

It was better than some NA shows and the first half of the SA leg. Houston was the only show last year off the top of my head where Axl nailed that song; but even when he's having a good night, Better is usually one of his weaker moments. Plus, there's plenty of other songs I'd like to see replace it (IRS, There Was A Time, Oh My God, Street of Dreams, If The World, or any UYI deep cut)

Edited by Gordon Comstock

2 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Honestly, I don't like Slash's solo on it that much. It doesn't make a solo great to play as many notes as possible in the shortest time possible. I miss the emotions, no soul in it.

WTF!? No soul in it? You're kidding me dude, arent you?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

WTF!? No soul in it? You're kidding me dude, arent you?

Not at all, he plays a lot of very short notes which don't create anything for me. He also has almost no body language, he's standing there like a statue, just his guitar pointing upwards doesn't make it great.

I really don't like it that much, I heard much better soli.

I hope they drop TIL tho, change it with CITR, SOD, or IRS.

Robin solo is the only good thing on that song, Slash change it to something random that i found very hard to memorize it. Slash solo on other CD song was very good and i prefer it more than the original, but only on TIL he sound like he didn't settle to one solo and change the solo every time he play it.

I hope they play TWAT more frequently tho, Slash finally beat the song on San Diego.

I heard someone get audibly angry and boo their lungs out when Better ended, at the second show in East Rutherford. Other than that, CD got a great reaction, lotta people dancing and rocking along, and Axls singing and Slash's solo from TIL were also pretty popular.

3 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

The thing with Slash is that he's totally unnecesarry during the outro. I like to hear the melodies but he's just noodling. It takes away the momemtum big time.

Thanks, you got me. This is what I meant with lacking emotions and no soul.

If  you play a solo there, it has to be something heartbreaking.

was at the first foxboro show and first metlife show.  cd by far got the best reaction.....early in the set and rocking.  this i love got a better reaction than i was expecting.  i expected more response to better.  the foxboro show the band sounded amazing on sorry, but the crowd just gave a polite applause.  nobody around me at either show had a fucking clue what any of the chinese songs were.

6 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Not at all, he plays a lot of very short notes which don't create anything for me. He also has almost no body language, he's standing there like a statue, just his guitar pointing upwards doesn't make it great.

I really don't like it that much, I heard much better soli.

I get that you don't like it, that's fine. I don't like him playing Better or Catcher. But I have to disagree about his solo on TIL ain't soulful. Especially this one. When I've heard it first in Vegas I was mesmerized. It was like... wow... finally it's Slash who shows you how to play this solo.

Since then I've heard some TIL solos where Slash shredded to much but this one is an excellent instance combining beautiful bends with soulful runs. That's not just shredding what he does and fast playing doesn't mean necessary that's soulless. It's not even a random mix of bends and runs, it's perfectly adapted and it captures the spirit of the song.

As much as I don't like most CD songs, Slash's TIL solo is probably one of the highlights of their shows judging by Periscope and YouTube videos.

I love the solo to Sorry too, but BH plays it perfectly on his own on the studioversion. Still do I love where Slash is carrying it.

To me Slash sounds great playing Chinese, This I Love, Better, Sorry. Nailed all of those, shitloads of emotion, feel, and soul.

There Was A Time he was wise to keep it closer to Bucket's original outro which sounds like it was inspired by Slash's Estranged solos. I think when he gets the chance to play it more, he will be more accurate as well, but it sounds good.

On Catcher I feel like he's definitely getting there, but needs more time to absolutely nail. I am confident all he needs is just to play it a few more times.

All in all, Slash sounds fuckin' great on Axl's tunes. Got my ticket to a show in the summer and other than Axl, the most exciting thing for me is to hear Slash and Duff playing Chinese tunes in the flesh.

It's Slash's interpretations. I love Robin's and Bucket's original solos but Slash doing it is also cool.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I get that you don't like it, that's fine. I don't like him playing Better or Catcher. But I have to disagree about his solo on TIL ain't soulful. Especially this one. When I've heard it first in Vegas I was mesmerized. It was like... wow... finally it's Slash who shows you how to play this solo.

Since then I've heard some TIL solos where Slash shredded to much but this one is an excellent instance combining beautiful bends with soulful runs. That's not just shredding what he does and fast playing doesn't mean necessary that's soulless. It's not even a random mix of bends and runs, it's perfectly adapted and it captures the spirit of the song.

As much as I don't like most CD songs, Slash's TIL solo is probably one of the highlights of their shows judging by Periscope and YouTube videos.

I love the solo to Sorry too, but BH plays it perfectly on his own on the studioversion. Still do I love where Slash is carrying it.

My personal favorites are the studio versions of the solos. For me, nothing can beat what Robin and Bucket came up with on Better, Sorry, This I Love, Catcher, and There Was A Time.

But what Slash is doing is undeniably good. Sometimes he does noodle too much, plays too many notes or just too fast, too technical, but many times he nails it. And he does have specific runs he always plays on Better for example.

That version of This I Love sounds brilliant. Of course it has soul. I also really like his interpretation of Sorry. Again, I don't think it's as good as Bucket's but it doesn't have to be. I wouldn't even want Slash to play every fuckin' solo note for note.

I want him to play it his way.

Edit: and to be honest, Slash's Chinese Democracy (the song) solos are just as good as what Robin and Bucket came up with. Especially the Coachella performance. I can't lie, it was at least just as good. I wish I had a studio version of that. It sounds spectacular.

Edited by Rovim

30 minutes ago, Rovim said:

My personal favorites are the studio versions of the solos. For me, nothing can beat what Robin and Bucket came up with on Better, Sorry, This I Love, Catcher, and There Was A Time.

But what Slash is doing is undeniably good. Sometimes he does noodle too much, plays too many notes or just too fast, too technical, but many times he nails it. And he does have specific runs he always plays on Better for example.

That version of This I Love sounds brilliant. Of course it has soul. I also really like his interpretation for Sorry. Again, I don't think it's as good as Bucket's but it doesn't have to be. I wouldn't even want Slash to play every fuckin' solo note for note.

I want him to play it his way.

Edit: and to be honest, Slash's Chinese Democracy (the song) solos are just as good as what Robin and Bucket came up with. You know it's true. Especially the Coachella performance. I can't lie, it was at least just as good. I wish I had a studio version of that. It sounds spectacular.

Yes, Slash plays to many notes on Robins Better solo IMO, unfortunatly.

The studio version of Better is better than live.

My experience with this is limited. In Vegas, the entire place was die hards so they knew all the CD songs. The pit in Chicago 2 was the same way. Being in the lower bowl for Detroit was the only thing I'd call a "real world experience". Everyone around us was indifferent to the CD songs. No one expressed any dislike but they weren't rocking out either. The couple directly to the left of us were the only ones who really seemed to dig the CD tunes. 

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I absolutely agree to disagree. :)

This is a solo with soul and emotions, lightyears better than what Slash is playing:

Edited by Zurimor

This I love is Killer with Slash and Duff 

Better is killer as well 

CD is killer too 

I didnt like any of these untill this tour - Look forward to hearing them with Slash - Axl -Duff because for the fans of the band like me that have been there since 1987 its like a new song to me and I love that 

1 hour ago, Zurimor said:

I absolutely agree to disagree. :)

This is a solo with soul and emotions, lightyears better than what Slash is playing:

Despite this video you've posted has got nothing to do with This I Love it's a total matter of taste. It doesn't touch me in the slightest. In 2014 I've seen Zakk with BLS live and IMO he's nowhere near Slash as a guitarplayer. At least I had this feeling by the stuff he played.

But if you want to compare Slash's TIL solo you have a lot of opportunities to do this with other TIL solos. That makes 100% more sense.