Fortus: this band is 100x better

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

I don't think it was delusional in 2006 to think that things were moving forward. The cracks began to show in 2008 when the record was two years late and Axl hired Ashba. By 2011 it was only the delusional nutjobs who still thought this band were anything other than a travelling karaoke act. Fast forward to 2017, and it's only really the mentally ill (Rovin, wasted) who still have faith in Axl's "vision."

It depends on how much credence you put in all those weird statements from that era, ''we have one hundred songs'' and ''trilogies'' etc. I have long since formed the opinion that Rose was pulling these things out of his arse the entire time. I didn't always believe that but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I suppose it is academic now anyhow as he has switched into a cheesy Vegas act and is never going to put out another album again.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I suppose it is academic now anyhow as he has switched into a cheesy Vegas act and is never going to put out another album again.

Never? but how do you know that? cause he didn't release many albums in the past? why would he lie he wants to release more Guns music if that wasn't his real intention? does he enjoy the fan backlash?

Could it be he promised some things and just failed to deliver? I feel like we've been through this many times: sometimes, not just Axl but most people promise all kinds of things, they plan to do some shit and it just doesn't work out. And everyone got their own reasons.

But that doesn't mean he's lying about what he wants to do.  That doesn't add up.

The more logical scenario is that he has his own idea of what a Guns album must be and his own process of getting there. Nothing can make him cut corners. That's just not the type of artist Axl seems to be.

I believe he has every intention of trying and everything he needs in order to deliver another good Gn'R album.

You honestly believe he wouldn't attempt it with Slash and Duff back in his band? I just don't buy that.

Edited by Rovim

52 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. I know everyone on the planet disagrees, but I'm OK with that lol

I don't know who was a bigger butcher of the old Guns songs Robin or Ashba.........not trying to bust your stones, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but what is it about  Robin that you favour him?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

I don't know who was a bigger butcher of the old Guns songs Robin or Ashba.........not trying to bust your stones, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but what is it about  Robin that you favour him?

I think Robin was sloppier on Slashs stuff than Asbha (well, at least when Ashba first started), but I prefer it. At least he was creative and looked cool in 06 and 07 and had a good tone. He felt like a genuine musician to me while DJ felt like a caricature 

Just my .02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Does... Not... Compute :lol:

Seriously, though, I will say Robin>>>>DJ and I cringe at younger me for saying vice versa at one point 

Holy crap. You actually said DJ was better than Robin at some point?? Talk about does not compute! Haha

56 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

No offense taken. It's always been an unpopular opinion but I've always stuck by it. This is gonna sound cliche to say but I just loved the feeling he put into things. Most people hear his NR solo and think "What the actual fuck?" but it just moves me for some reason. 

45 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Shit:shock:

Very unpopular opinion but honest, I love it. :thumbsup:

As I mentioned above, I've stuck with it for years. I think the first time I mentioned it on forums would have been around late 2002. People lost (and continue to) their goddamn minds on me lol. I remember back in 2006 & 2007, people who still post on this board went on about how I was full of shit and just saying that because Slash would never come back and Robin was the current guy. I said it then and I'm saying it now; Robin is my favorite guitarist to ever be in the band.

Here's the thing; I'm not mad at Slash being back. He's obviously WORLDS better than DJ and I do like what he's done with the CD material that I've heard him play. I would prefer to have Robin in the band but A) that's never gonna happen and B) I am probably the only person on the planet who feels that way, so I'm ok with Slash doing his thing and very happy for those that prefer him.

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Why can't his opinion be genuine? Maybe he just gets along better with Slash and Duff, or maybe he enjoys the renewed energy and activity which comes with the partial reunion. I'm sure he's much more active than he was before, and that probably increases the interest and enjoyment for him. I'm sure you think this line up is better than the last, so it's quite funny that you would knock Richard for saying something we all agree with...

Look at the things he keeps on saying, for him the Ashba line up was the best ever too, for him the material which "they" wrote in the Ashba era was awesome and it was going to be released "next year" every year. 

At least Ron had his own mind and spoke his heart out, thats why I like him much better than Fortus or anyone. 

When it comes to Axl's solo band, the only talented person was buckethead, he maybe be a weirdo, but man his solos put a really good style to it unlike the other members. I like bumble personally because he spoke his heart out, I guess at the end of the day Fortus knows this job gives him really good money which he could never earn during his whole lifetime, he said it was going good with his session stuff, but who doesn't likes getting $20,000 instead of $2,000.

For Axl's other hired hands, music mattered and they knew they have no future in that in Axl's band. 

9 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It depends on what you look for in a band.

It's certainly better than the no fucks given Appetite For Democracy band although off the cuff, I'd say the 2009-2010 band was sharper. 

Since we only have the ability to talk in circles given no new music, I'll restate my opinion of the 2002 lineup being the best lineup of Guns N' Roses bar none, no quarter given, although I quite like the 2006 band with Brain quite a bit as well. Phenomenally tight band.

I hold the UYI tour band in high esteem as well. 

Buckethead belongs in heaven with the gods. Robin and Slash are respectable earthlings. I do not care for Bumblefoot in the slightest and DJ Ashba is not even worthy of comment. 

"I'll restate my opinion of the 2002 lineup being the best lineup of Guns N' Roses"

this.

Dj was clearly underrated around here. It was a chaotic mess to have Bumble and him in the same band, that idea of a three guitarists band was just awful to start with.

You don't need Fortus/Tobias when you have Buckethead and Robin.

You don't need bumblefoot when you have Robin and Fortus.

Well, having Dj and Bumblefoot together was way too odd anyway. One lacked star power, one lacked skills. Axl should have gotten John 5 instead.

Edited by Silent Jay

With all due respect, how anyone can say any of the post original lineups (with the exception of the Chinese Democracy line up) is the best ever GNR line up is beyond me.

What you essentially had was year after year of musical karaoke, little original output and a band that couldnt keep hold of its guitarists due to inactivity.

I'll make concessions for the Chinese Democracy lineup. I'm sure there's fans out that were essentially introduced to the band via that album.

But the 2002 was better than one of the biggest RnR bands of all time ?? Please.....

• Like 4