Fortus: this band is 100x better

46 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Holy crap. You actually said DJ was better than Robin at some point?? Talk about does not compute! Haha

No offense taken. It's always been an unpopular opinion but I've always stuck by it. This is gonna sound cliche to say but I just loved the feeling he put into things. Most people hear his NR solo and think "What the actual fuck?" but it just moves me for some reason. 

As I mentioned above, I've stuck with it for years. I think the first time I mentioned it on forums would have been around late 2002. People lost (and continue to) their goddamn minds on me lol. I remember back in 2006 & 2007, people who still post on this board went on about how I was full of shit and just saying that because Slash would never come back and Robin was the current guy. I said it then and I'm saying it now; Robin is my favorite guitarist to ever be in the band.

Here's the thing; I'm not mad at Slash being back. He's obviously WORLDS better than DJ and I do like what he's done with the CD material that I've heard him play. I would prefer to have Robin in the band but A) that's never gonna happen and B) I am probably the only person on the planet who feels that way, so I'm ok with Slash doing his thing and very happy for those that prefer him.

Yeah dude. Way back in 2010. I was younger and wanted to like everything about the band cause it was the first lineup I got to see. It wasnt until 2013ish that I really started to dislike DJ. Oh well, live and learn.

I still think he wasnt as bad when he first started. He got worse as the years went on. He used to just wear flannel and stuff and concentrate more on his playing, the he turned more and more into a walking commercial for trash.

Robin>>>DJ 

For me, it's not about which musicians I like the best when it comes to judging the lineup.  It's about having the people there who created the music and the magic.  Many fine musicians have played with GNR, but nothing they created (music, live performances, image, etc.) has come close to matching what the original band accomplished, in my opinion.  (EDIT: Some of my favorite Guns songs came from the Illusion albums.)

I still loved Illusion era GNR, and it felt like a new version of the same band which was expanding its limits musically.  I liked the many iterations of Chinese Democracy era GNR, but they were a totally different band.  With Slash and Duff back in the fold, it feels like Guns again so I have to agree with Fortus - this is a way better Guns N Roses lineup.

Oh, for the record, Slash is my favorite GNR lead guitarist, in the context of the band or otherwise.  Not even close.

Edited by Use Your Delusion II
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

For me, it's not about which musicians I like the best when it comes to judging the lineup.  It's about having the people there which created the music and the magic.  Many fine musicians have played with GNR, but nothing they created (music, live performances, image, etc.) has come close to matching what the original band accomplished, in my opinion.  

This

Edit- and I love Chinese Democracy

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

But Robin & Buckethead also took There Was A Time and Better into the stratosphere. There would be no 'OMG Slash's This I Love solo' without Robin having done first.

This band would be 200% better with Buckethead and Brain back in the band imo.

I agree bro.

Don't forget about deleting that blonde bitch from the equation...

6 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

But Robin & Buckethead also took There Was A Time and Better into the stratosphere. There would be no 'OMG Slash's This I Love solo' without Robin having done first.

Hard to really say that, considering we aren't really sure what this band could create in the studio.

I can see the argument that the band could potentially create amazing songs in the studio, especially with someone like Bucket and/or Robin, but from a live standpoint, I don't think they could top this lineup.

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

But Nov Rain, SCOM, Estranged, Civil War, Coma, Locomotive, Jungle, Nightrain, Rocket Queen >>>>>> TWAT and Better.

The bulk of songs in GNR's catalogue were written with Slash on lead guitar. Buckethead has one really memorable solo (TWAT), Finck has two (Better and TWAT). Even if you really love those songs, it's still only two tracks, compared to dozens from Slash-era GNR.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Now suddenly so many people disagree with Fortus and prefer the line-ups with the bunch of noones who never actually did anything to the line-up that made this band a legend :wow: Sometimes on this forum I feel like I stepped into some psychiatric ward by mistake, to be honest :lol:

Don't worry. In a few days the tour in Japan begins. And things will be back to normal :D

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Great point, and I respect their contributions to those songs.  However, I'd still rather have Slash representing the work of others on 3-4 Chinese songs than vice versa.  And frankly, I'm just happy these guys got back together to do this while they can still play.  This tour is like a redo of the Illusion Tour without peak Axl drama and Slash and Duff slowly killing themselves.  I genuinely hope they are enjoying it because it sounds like none of them did the last time around.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Buckethead has one really memorable solo (TWAT), Finck has two (Better and TWAT).

Solo in Sorry is not a memorable Bucket solo? solo in This I Love is not a memorable Robin solo? :thumbsup:

And there are many more like:

Bucket's I.R.S solo, Robin's Street Of Dreams solo, both solos on Chinese, Bucket's SOD outro (maybe not a proper solo cause Axl is singing over it, but memorable as fuck)

And perhaps the most memorable Bucket solo on Chinese, his If The World solo. Sometimes weed can damage one's memory.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Controversial as it may be, Robin is and will always be my favorite guitarist in the history of the band.

Right there with you man! Finck kicks ass and is my favorite. His This I Love solo is beautiful and (this is gonna piss off a lot of people but oh well) I like his Patience solo better than Slash's. Obviously Slash is a very close second and I love nearly just as much the great solos and stuff he brought to this band and he is "The" GNR guitarist. But Finck is my favorite for his emotional solos.

• Like 1

Anyone ever noticed how Robin's Street Of Dreams solo is structured kinda like Slash's SCOM solo? not talking about quality here, just how it's first half is more lyrical and then in the second half with the wah and clusters of notes perfectly positioned.

What is interesting about Robin's guitar playing style on the album at least, is how he did manage to somehow capture what Slash did in some of his solos, even though his style is more like a wind instrument, like it's not really as fluid as Slash, he takes breaks but it makes it sound more lyrical like Robin talked about in his Ultimate Guitar interview from a few years ago.

I can especially here it in his Better, This I Love, There Was A Time, and Street Of Dreams solos.

He was really a good replacement for Slash just in the way he could compose these solos. And Bucket really completed the picture. I just think it's funny how together they could come up with the lyrical side of Slash, and the shred side. Still not Slash and different of course, but it was fitting to what Axl was trying to do.

To me nothing will sound as good with Axl's voice as Slash's guitar, but Robin and Bucket is the next best thing.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

The three guitarist thing was an interesting, new idea that could have propelled the 2001 line up if new albums were released and the advertising was right. Think about it, there was your Slash type feel guitar with Finck, and your virtuoso shredding with Buckethead. It made the band well rounded, and imagine if 4-5 albums were released with that line up...and Finck and Bucket had dozens of solos each and on every song we could guess and gamble "is this going to be a feel solo or a kickass electronic bucket solo?" Even with Bumble it could've worked. The two  guitar approach was classic and time tested, but three guitars could have been interesting and could have made the early nu line ups amazing with the proper support. 

By 2009 though this idea went was awful. I'm very glad we have the two guitarist approach back.