Fortus: this band is 100x better

8 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

I actually think everyone of those song comparisons are wrong haha

It's not like they are the same. Maybe in some cases there's some similarities. But generally it's a similar group of songs, given that the style and guitar players,  not to mention whole band and recording was different. 

Edited by wasted

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I may be mis-understanding you, but in no way are the non-Izzy songs on UYI comparable to CD, they are (for the most part), infinitely better tunes.  There is no comparison.  

I see some similarities in the dynamics and themes of some of the songs, but it's more just if you add Izzy's material you would have a 2 cd set. 

47 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've read on this forum...that is sayng a lot. 

I would love one day for this band to come out with an actual interview.   That actually answers actual questions then the intervier actually asks follow up questions 

one of the questions I would ask is.  What are the songs on CD about anyways??  I have no clue.   Does anyone?  How can you compact them to anything when you don't even know what they are about 

4 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

I would love one day for this band to come out with an actual interview.   That actually answers actual questions then the intervier actually asks follow up questions 

one of the questions I would ask is.  What are the songs on CD about anyways??  I have no clue.   Does anyone?  How can you compact them to anything when you don't even know what they are about 

Axl has actually spoken about each song a little bit. 

But that doesn't mean it's obvious what they are about. Even with his quotes in mind. Some are quite simple really. 

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

Axl has actually spoken about each song a little bit. 

But that doesn't mean it's obvious what they are about. Even with his quotes in mind. Some are quite simple really. 

No he hasn't 

he has given a hand full of interviews and some random posts on the internet about his feelings.

What is the song better about?   Where is robins interview as it's song

what was buckethead thinking when he wrote the melody to Sorry?

even some of the older guns songs.   What are they even about?    

I would love a collectors book to come out one day about the recording of the album CD.   With quotes from band members and stories and pictures and telling us exactly what this songs means 

right now it just seems like a bunch of random words put together to make a song  

20 minutes ago, TheBaconMan said:

No he hasn't 

he has given a hand full of interviews and some random posts on the internet about his feelings.

What is the song better about?   Where is robins interview as it's song

what was buckethead thinking when he wrote the melody to Sorry?

even some of the older guns songs.   What are they even about?    

I would love a collectors book to come out one day about the recording of the album CD.   With quotes from band members and stories and pictures and telling us exactly what this songs means 

right now it just seems like a bunch of random words put together to make a song  

I would like more comprehensive coverage. You have to piece it together. There's stuff about Chindem, Shacklers, Catcher, Sorry, Riad n the bedouins, Madagascar. Better is kind of self explanatory. Twat too. If the world seems simple enough. IRS is like legal dealings with an ex?  I think I could take a stab at most of them. 

But I think you are right there's not much about the more complex songs. But I think the meaning does come clear if you listen enough. But the specifics not so much. You get the vibe though. 

Prostitute is particularly slippery. It seems about two different hos. 

Generally it's Axl overcoming some one or thing that has done him wrong?

Determined righteousness. A lot of metaphorical titles and composites. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wasted said:

Izzy was a strong writing presence on UYI. If you take his songs out you basically have CD type material. There's a couple of Slash epics and Duff songs but it's comparable which you can use. 

Dead Horse - Chi dem 

Shotgun Blues/locomotive - Shacklers

Live n Let Die - Better

Yesterdays - SOD

Heavens Door - If the World

Breakdown - There was a Time

Estranged - Catcher

Garden of Eden - Scraped 

Get in the Ring - Riad

So Fine - Sorry

The garden - IRS

Civil War - Madagascar

November Rain - This I Love

Coma - Prostitute

without the Izzy material it's a similar spread of material. 

eb6.jpg?1307463786

Wish this session hack would just shut up and leave so that these sellouts (sluff and the redhead) would have no choice but to bring back Izzy. You know, maybe they could actually be a real fucking band again instead of the hasbeen show wringing every last dollar from fans before being tossed into the rubbish heap of nostalgia.

I'd love to know more about what inspired different aspects of different songs because I have an insatiable curiosity. 

But with that said...

You shouldn't need the artist to tell you what their art is about. What they were thinking when they created it. That isn't what music/art is about. The arts are about evoking emotion. Something that is individual to the person consuming it from their own experience and perceptions. Knowing where the creator was coming from can give it texture, but the ones who consume it are the ones who gives it meaning.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

I will never understand why this is a discussion at all. 
If you prefer the Axl/CD-era lineup over the old guys, you are not a fan of GNR. Period. 

Hate to tell you this, but there are no rules on who can be a "real fan". Sure it may suck that others may not like what you like or even may like what you like but prefer something else more. But that is just the way the world works sometimes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Hate to tell you this, but there are no rules on who can be a "real fan". Sure it may suck that others may not like what you like or even may like what you like but prefer something else more. But that is just the way the world works sometimes.

Agreed that it is not the way the world works sometimes, but in this case, it is exactly how the world works. 

By all mean, each to his own, but the CD-era was Guns N Roses by name only, even though it was enjoyable at times.

Edited by Izzyslash

12 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

Agreed that is not way the world works sometimes,. but in this case, it is exactly how the world works. 

By all mean, each to his own, but the CD-era was Guns N Roses by name only, even though it was enjoyable at times.

Sure you dismiss CD era guns as In "name only". The next fan over will dismiss the end of the Illusions line up as In "name only" because of lack of Izzy. Then the next fan will dismiss the entire Illusions era because of no Steven- Everybody knows only the complete Classic lineup makes the magic that Is Guns n' Roses and  any one who accepts any line up other than the classic lineup Is not a real fan. And so on...

I guess I find It a bit silly to try to draw lines and dictate how much of a fan someone Is or Isn't.

(Sorry about some of the weird formatting and capitalization In this comment. I hit quote before I wrote my reply and my phone hates that)

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

I'd love to know more about what inspired different aspects of different songs because I have an insatiable curiosity. 

But with that said...

You shouldn't need the artist to tell you what their art is about. What they were thinking when they created it. That isn't what music/art is about. The arts are about evoking emotion. Something that is individual to the person consuming it from their own experience and perceptions. Knowing where the creator was coming from can give it texture, but the ones who consume it are the ones who gives it meaning.

I think if you explain too much or it's too specific then it becomes less relatable. You can lose some of the magic. I almost see the songs as being universal. It's about the emotion or broader subject than about this or that person.  If you know a song is about a person you start to see it like that. I think Layla was like that. I used just like it. Then it was in a Marty movie, then I read something about Clapton and George harrison. The song got taken away from me in a way. Hey Jude too. Now I know it's about Julian. I'm not sure if Axl's explanation of Catcher helped. Sometimes it's fun to just have your own fantasies about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Wish this session hack would just shut up and leave so that these sellouts (sluff and the redhead) would have no choice but to bring back Izzy. You know, maybe they could actually be a real fucking band again instead of the hasbeen show wringing every last dollar from fans before being tossed into the rubbish heap of nostalgia.

I think that there are many session guitar players in the world who would likely fill the role . . .

8 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

how is locomotive in any form familiar with shaklers? What the hell is wrong with you? What kind of drugs do you use?

This is wasted. You'll notice only Rovim likes his posts. I'll keep on mocking them. If the World = Right Next Door to Hell.

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Sure you dismiss CD era guns as In "name only". The next fan over will dismiss the end of the Illusions line up as In "name only" because of lack of Izzy. Then the next fan will dismiss the entire Illusions era because of no Steven- Everybody knows only the complete Classic lineup makes the magic that Is Guns n' Roses and  any one who accepts any line up other than the classic lineup Is not a real fan. And so on...

I guess I find It a bit silly to try to draw lines and dictate how much of a fan someone Is or Isn't.

(Sorry about some of the weird formatting and capitalization In this comment. I hit quote before I wrote my reply and my phone hates that)

I  generally agree with what you are saying, but as far as GNR goes, the UYI lineup and the CD lineups are not comparable at all. You know this as well as I do. 
Axl's GNR are reminding me of Blotzer's Ratt. They play Ratt, and are probably enjoyable enough, but it ain't Ratt. The DeMartini, Crucier and Pearcy Ratt version on the other hand..
I enjoyed Axl's version of the band for some shows, but I never cared who was there with him, the reason to go was to see Axl perform (and Izzy at some shows), equally enjoyable to seeing Slash's band play GNR songs. 

Like I said, each to his own, but it is not possible to understand someone that prefers the CD lineup when it comes to GNR. Like it or not, but prefer it... that is weird.

1 hour ago, Izzyslash said:

Like I said, each to his own, but it is not possible to understand someone that prefers the CD lineup when it comes to GNR. Like it or not, but prefer it... that is weird.

Nothing weird about it. It's music, it's just notes. Some fans just prefer one band over another or one incarnation of it over another. It's very easy to understand someone that prefers CD or the CD lineup.

It's like preferring an updated version of a famous dish: most might prefer the classic recipe, but some might like the new twist.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Nothing weird about it at all. It's music, it's just notes. Some fans just prefer one band over another or one incarnation of it over another. It's very easy to understand someone that prefers CD or the CD lineup.

It's like preferring an updated version of a famous dish: most might prefer the classic recipe, but some might like the new twist.

I see your point, but do not agree. Only thing that band had in common with GNR was Axl on vocals and the name. 
It is easier to see how terrible it actually was when looking back at it from the current situation :) 

But enough about that, time to enjoy what we were waiting for since 93, instead of debating over the dark times that are finally over!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

I see your point, but do not agree. Only thing that band had in common with GNR was Axl on vocals and the name. 
It is easier to see how terrible it actually was when looking back at it from the current situation :) 

But enough about that, time to enjoy what we were waiting for since 93, instead of debating over the dark times that are finally over!

Dark times? terrible? I liked having Bucket and Robin in Guns, Axl sounded fuckin' great in 2006 and 2010. We had musicians like Brain in the band and I love Chinese.

I thought it was an exciting time and I love the current line up as well. To me, Slash and Duff should have never left Guns, but after they quit something cool came out of it as well so it's all good. It's never enough, I'll debate it as long as I please.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, maynard said:

THey didn't play their hearts out on the old material. They played in a professional way, like hired musicians. They didn't release an album, it wasn't up to them. Axl released an album featuring dozens of hired musicians, the "band" that made CD was different than the hired touring line-up. What potential did they show? With their solo spots and jams? That was mostly generic shit. Shows were, like I said, professionally well done from their part, outstanding is not the correct word. How can anyone prefer a cover band over 3/5 of an original band reuniting after 20+ years? It's not like this reunion will stop Axl from releaseing CD2, we all know he's retired as a musician and is now a full time entertainer.

Trust me, kid. You're not missing out on anything It was either reunion or retirement after 2014. Be glad Slash and Duff accepted to play those Axl songs you enjoy and that's it.

"he's retired as a musician and is now a full time entertainer."

This

• Like 1