Fortus: this band is 100x better

33 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

My eyes... It's obvious that Slash isn't the best guitar player in the world, not even close. It is absolutely understandable that someone thinks that those other guys that played with Axl pretending they were GnR are better guitar players than Slash, cause they probably are. But seriously, Slash IS GnR, Slash has the feeling, those other guys are not. I fail to understand how a GnR fan would prefer to have any of them in the band instead of Slash. Same works for Izzy. Don't get it and never will. :shrugs:

I don't think anyone was pretending. They were just being themselves. Even DJ. It's just the way I feel about it but Slash doesn't have to be the most technical guitar player in the world to be one of the best guitar players in the world.

And just because you have crazy technical abilities and can shred doesn't mean you can't be considered one of the best in the world either.

It's cool, I think Slash and Bucket are very different guitar players in many ways, but they're both 2 of the best I've ever heard.

Edited by Rovim

I think the way in which CD was made and some of the elements/styles were similar to old Guns. The main departure is from hard rock to alternative rock. From guitarists to production to mixing, the whole project was set up to be dofferent in some ways. 

Manson said something about some of his records after his intial success that he had started making records that sounded like he felt. Which was like shit at the time. He said he had forgotten to make records that sound great for the listener. Sometimes I think CD in places falls into that. Axl tried so hard to express himself, those emotions, that it wasn't made to be accesible necessarily. 

Edited by wasted

18 hours ago, Izzyslash said:

Like I said, each to his own, but it is not possible to understand someone that prefers the CD lineup when it comes to GNR. Like it or not, but prefer it... that is weird.

I like the band that COULD have been

I love both (meaning AFD and CD) of the lineups. The main reason I liked the CD lineup was that it gave me a chance to hear my favorite singer sing over music that was a different musical direction. Plus you had all this now wasted potential, which would have been great if it had been harnessed ORGANICALLY and not copy and pasted like Axl did.

You got Buckethead, who, if you know his work, is a great riff writer, a "soulful" player, a great acoustic "riff" writer, and a good songwriter on his own.

You got Josh Freese and then later Brain who are both great drummers who know how to play TO the music, and not play for themselves.

You got Robin Finck, who although doesn't have a large repertoire of songs, is a decent riff guy, who had this nack using dissonant chords (as seen in the demo of I.R.S., Better's verse, Riad's chorus on the left channel), which brings something new to the table instead of your usual 3 note power chords, and could write a good solo, and does some pretty decent overdub riffs.

As for Tommy, he does a very unique bass line on TWAT's chorus, which I think is cool. His bass fills are decent. All around decent bass player. Not a great one, but decent enough.

Pitman: lol

Dizzy: made Street of Dreams, which I like. Played saloon cock rock piano on Pretty Tied Up, Yesterdays, and Civil War, which I fucking hate.

As for Bumblefoot, I'm a new fan of his solo music, and of his band Art of Anarchy. Hes got some pretty good riffs going on, and his songs as a whole are very solid. I really do hope that Buckethead does take him on on his recent offer to collaborate on music together.

So basically, I like the band that COULD have been, but wasn't

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

Just now, wasted said:

Pitman did quite a bit on TWAT and Madagascar too. I think he's all over CD really. He has production credits and things like that. It's all the towels fault!

Pitman was important in the CD concept and tracks...

In a realistic world just Dizzy is ok..no needs for two keyboards...and...I really dislike Melissa presence in GNR...don't make sense...

On dinsdag 17 januari 2017 at 9:16 PM, Caraibes said:

It would be 100x better if Izzy could actually play the guitar onstage. Because he can't.

His amps were turned down in 1991 during the UYI Tour : he just can't play.

At least he wrote over half of the GNR catalogue.

Fortus wrote exactly ... nothing ...

• Like 3

On dinsdag 17 januari 2017 at 11:01 PM, Caraibes said:

HOLLY SHIT!

New collections of guitars for Richard! Hoppefully he will use them on tour and in studio! ;)

He should do these guitar demos full time ... and make way for a real reunion !

On 1/16/2017 at 1:23 PM, DieselDaisy said:

At least 2001 - 2006 you could delude yourself into thinking Rose and his band of eccentrics were interested in new music. Now Guns just serve up over priced stodge.

What blows my mind is the expectations.  I mean this idea of hanging by a thread for new music, waiting for it, looking for hints etc etc.  I don't think they been interested in making new music for yonks.

23 hours ago, Billsfan said:

By far the most entertaining thread we have going folks :popcorn: 

My two cents... I don't think I've ever hated any lineups of GNR. The only lineup really tough to judge is the one with Tracii, Ole, and Gardner. Some may laugh at that but, it's completely true as all they literally did was invent the name Guns N Roses, no music or footage and that's fine. It is what it is and it's fact. Every other lineup is at least on camera so, that's what counts and that's what we can judge.

Of every GNR lineup since 2000, the current lineup is the best. And based on comments in here from many of you as well as comments on other boards and videos, it stands true. But nothing will ever beat the Appetite lineup. Nothing. If it wasn't for those 5 guys, who they were as people, creatively, musically, personally, and the music as well as the live shows that took place, we wouldn't be here discussing Guns n Roses today. We wouldn't be talking about a Robin Finck or DJ Ashba Sweet Child solo had Slash not wrote it, and played it. Played it from his soul so naturally, which is why Slash just conquers Robin, Bucket, Bumble and Dj. I can understand liking different guitar players in general, my father believes Page is the greatest of all time and my uncle thinks n one can touch Eddie Van Halen. But in the context of playing for Guns N Roses, I just don't see how anyone tops Slash, although some did fine and that's why I think this discussion intensified. And I knew that after last April's vegas shows, when I saw Slash play November Rain and Estranged again. Even sweet child. Some others like Robin played them well and were admirable for trying, but Slash just made it look so natural like those songs were just in him. Duff commented something similar on the Jericho podcast, and it's turned out to be true.

Not to get into too much of a rant but, after saying all of that, I continue to pray that we do at some pointin the upcoming year get the original 5 from Appetite on stage together again, even if it's only for 1 song. Those 5 were a gang, a fraternity, a family. They went thru so much personally, musically, everything. Something most bands nowadays have no clue about. Life is too short, and as awesome as the current lineup of GNR is, the Appetite lineup needs to reunite, They owe it to themselves and it'll be the final healing process with regard to their past for all 5 of them, even thugh I'm sure they all intend on rocking out for years to come.

Oh yeah...they were a total disfunctional family...but...still a family

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

He played "saloon cock rock piano", a term I use when ever Dizzy just bangs the fucking root notes in the fifth octave in the chorus of a song. Also use it when Axl bangs away on Izzys songs, taking as much away from the songs (in my opnion) as Dizzy does. Not referring to "cock rock" as in riff rock/hard rock.

TL;DR: fuck you, Dizzy Reed

Edited by Mendez

I really enjoyed the 2009-14 line-up- and according to the China Exchange interview so did Axl. As long as Slash, Duff, etc. rejoining remained a pipe dream- I think the Dj/Bumble-era was the closest thing in terms of vibe to the classic days.It was also very stable. That said- totally understand where Richard is coming from with the NITL line-up. It is wicked (even if "100x better" is likely hyperbole)...

13 hours ago, auad said:

Oh yeah...they were a total disfunctional family...but...still a family

A family that changed music forever. A family that released Appetite for Destruction, with Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Patience, and a very long list of cult classics... Those 5 created history. Nothing will top what they did. Not even a rebellious liking to robin finck in gnr

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Billsfan said:

A family that changed music forever. A family that released Appetite for Destruction, with Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Patience, and a very long list of cult classics... Those 5 created history. Nothing will top what they did. Not even a rebellious liking to robin finck in gnr

Chinese Democracy CD TOPS AFD and TOPS what they ALLEGEDLY did