Flashback: Sailing cover

15 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Great performance.

Axl had a lot of great performances in 2006 but not ready to go out on the "as good as 87-93" tightrope with you because that's just absurd.

He was totally out of shape in 2001-2002 and we all know the throat surgery rumors. He rebounded phenomenally in 2006 and 2010 was even better at times. Shame those years were lost in plain sight.

The thing that catches me about 06 over 10 is how effortless it was in 06. His voice sounded studio ready where as 2010 he was just trying to blow the roof off the place vocally.

focusing on the vocals from 06 and there was just a relaxed nature to Axl and how easily he hit all the notes. I don't think it will ever come this easy to him again 

• Like 1

That's only 2006 performance where his higher register vocals sound good. All of all the other performances in 2006 always lacked power, at least in my ears.

I will say I was more a fan of his 2002 higher register clean "tone" of his voice on the new songs when he put power behind it. One example is during SOD/The Blues during the "ahhhhh ah ahhhh ah ahh" 's at the end; when ever hit the note dead on and didn't trail up from a lower note, it always sounded good to me. Another example is the infamous MTV VMAs performance. The 2nd chorus was of Madagascar pretty good, and the way he hit the "Oh freedom of the chains" sounded great to me. Basically when he doesn't trail up to the high notes he sounds good.

His 2002 lower register/mid clean voice was very underwhelming though. When he belted (mainly only the chorus of CD only) he sounded fine to me. His 2002 raspy singing voice that he seldom did on the Street of Dreams intro I also liked.

But overall, his raspy voice in early 2006 was the most tonally pleasing to my ears. 

Also liked how he actually almost always held the "yeaaahhhhh" in WTTJ before Slashs solo in 2006/2007, instead of taking a breather and ruining the momentum like he did the majority of the 90s, and 2009 to now.

Edited by Mendez

11 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

@IncitingChaos I agree somewhat about the ease but you posted clips all from the near end of the tour. He was sucking wind a-plenty throughout the tour. Jungle, Nightrain, and Paradise City he struggled immensely save Rock Am Ring and a couple of the others. Basically 60/40 or 70/30 of the set would be bad/good. Higher peaks and lower valleys vocally.

@Mendez Totally agree with his 2002 voice sounding better with the new songs especially The Blues and Maddy although it didn't help the rock songs at all.

Definitely not saying 06 was perfect but what he was capable of on that tour was near perfection. I don't think there's been a year since 93 that we were able to say that about. Axl at his best in 06 was something special. I love 2010, and all the other years but for me it was 06 where you could honestly still have a conversation about Axl being one of the best singers in the business. 

I loved his lines on Bach's album from that year too

@1:48 Axl should have been recording music everyday with those vocals 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

going back and watching this performance made me realize how technically good Axl was in 06, I mean this might have been some of the best vocals he's ever achieved in a live setting in his career and that's saying something. The strength in that clean voice overpowers anything in 02 and I believe this voice was the one he hoped to achieve originally when he was "trying to make his voice clearer" 

really nice to go back and hear this I think as time goes on we see what 06 could have been in terms of potential. 

The thing that strikes me is his vocals on CD are not as good as the vocals here. The way he transitions at 1:04-1:08 from clean power vocals to putting that grit on it is so unique to hear and shows how on point he was. 

Not sure Axl can ever get this good again, he was only 44 here but now we are at a point where Axl's vocals likely will never dramatically get better than they already are. That's not to say he's not singing good now, but there were some moments in 06 that realistically stood toe to toe with his 88-93 prime voice. 

Hands down my favorite cover Axl has ever performed. I would love for them to add this to the set list. I can only imagine how great a studio version of this would be!!  

Always really liked this live cover. Sad fact is that Axl essentially threw away 20 years of his prime though. The one album he was tinkering on for most of those years was also quite disappointing when actually released considering songs that did have a lot of promise were stripped of their potential and vibrancy. 

Hopefully he can actually salvage whatever he has left and release some new music with Slash and everyone. Otherwise it'll be quite the waste.

The thing that strikes me about 06 is you get performances like this 

where vocally Axl sounds better on this song than he did between 91-93

but you get some odd performances at the beginning of the tour where Axl wasn't as good as this show and yet in 06 there wasn't doubt that Axl could pull off anything vocally in the studio. 

Not every performance was great in 06 but it was definitely still "Axl" you could hear his tone and vocals where as 2016 there are some notes that Axl can definitely hit but it does have that old Axl feel to it where I can tell age is catching up to him and realistically there isn't much time left for him to record quality material in the studio. 

Idk hopefully there's more to come from Axl. It will be interesting if we ever get Axl vocals on an official release again 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Not sure why, but they were in London. Played it at the show at Wembley and at a small club gig later that evening as well iirc.

It's Rod Stewart. Wasn't that chick from Clerks 2 around this time? 

It would be great if we could ask Axl about this cover. Obviously it's not on the top of the list currently on priorities for fans but how about someone ask him something like this 

"What has made you so good at finding the right vibe, vocals, and authentic takes on these covers you've done over your career? It seems you have always had success with covering everyone from Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, The Who, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, and many others. Particularly theres a cover you did of Rod Stewart that I love. How do these come about with your band and how much work do you put into a cover?"

i think he might enjoy someone appreciating his talent for nailing material across such a wide spectrum of music, it's a testament to his voice and musical talents.