Why do people film concerts?

Zurimor

Reason for this question is, I just saw a live video on youtube, that guy filmed the video screen. I barely understand it when people film a concert and stare on their display all the time, but a fucking video screen??

To me, a concert is for now, I want to experience it and enjoy it with all senses, headbang like there's no tomorrow, dance the pogo, all those fun things you can do on concerts.

I really couldn't enjoy a concert if I filmed it....

So that people like me can enjoy bootlegs. I don't film at concerts but I'm glad some people do. The thing that I hate is watching a video filmed from the back of a venue, and there's a sea of cell phones in front of the band. If you're in the back then whatever, record it to share with other fans, but otherwise just enjoy the show. <_<

And about recording the video screens, that's the best way to film a show (if you do it right).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I totally agree, in fact it stifles other peoples ability to jump around and go mad cuz theres a few thousand Coppolas at the gig filming Apocalypse Now...not that that stops me :lol:

Well, that's not my problem, I enjoy the show my way anyway, if someone drops his cell phone, well, up to him to take that risk. :D

• Like 1

Just now, Zurimor said:

Well, that's not my problem, I enjoy the show my way anyway, if someone drops his cell phone, well, up to him to take that risk. :D

Its a bit shite though isnt it, being the one mad cunt at a gig.  I usually usually pissed as fuck at gigs anyway so it dont bother me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zurimor said:

Reason for this question is, I just saw a live video on youtube, that guy filmed the video screen. I barely understand it when people film a concert and stare on their display all the time, but a fucking video screen??

To me, a concert is for now, I want to experience it and enjoy it with all senses, headbang like there's no tomorrow, dance the pogo, all those fun things you can do on concerts.

Some, like Marc Canter was friends with the band and did it to document GnR's early shows as he felt they were going to be big someday and thankfully he did video those shows and some leaked out for us to enjoy...He has stated on this forum he hopes to do a box set with the audio and video of those early shows for us fans....hopefully Axl lets him do this at some point..........

there are others who tape to sell to bootleggers and make money but I like to think most fans are not looking to make money off of the band that way and just want a souvenir of the show they attended.........I have some excellent bootlegs of fan filmed shows, especially the Stones  including multicamera mixes which are excellent and as a fan who could not attend that particular show I found them to be very enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

there are others who tape to sell to bootleggers and make money but I like to think most fans are not looking to make money off of the band that way and just want a souvenir of the show they attended.........I have some excellent bootlegs of fan filmed shows, especially the Stones  including multicamera mixes which are excellent and as a fan who could not attend that particular show I found them to be very enjoyable.

Didn't you say that you find people who download other people's music to be criminals who are stealing the hard work of the artist? If so, can you explain why copying an album that you didn't pay for is wrong, but copying a concert that you didn't pay for is okay?

4 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Didn't you say that you find people who download other people's music to be criminals who are stealing the hard work of the artist? If so, can you explain why copying an album that you didn't pay for is wrong, but copying a concert that you didn't pay for is okay?

I could but don't have time for a long winded philosophical debate with you as I already know whatever I answer will not satisfy you so feel free to pass your judgement..........

I don't know, paying money to visit a concert and then be unable to enjoy it because you have to stand still all the time....

Most of time, it doesn't bother me that much, but sometimes it can be annyoing like 5 or 6 people right in front of you all filming. Those are the situations in which you start to headbang like crazy since you can occupy a surprisingly large area with long enough hair. :D

I also feel like the atmosphere on concerts often was much better in the past than nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

I could but don't have time for a long winded philosophical debate with you as I already know whatever I answer will not satisfy you so feel free to pass your judgement..........

Ah, good old fashioned hypocrisy. It's amazing how we justify things as long as it falls in line with our own desires. Enjoy your bootleg concerts, Thiefy McThief.

EDIT - Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm just pulling your plonker and love you really.

:heart:

Edited by PappyTron

Bootlegs are a grey area as they traditionally have been the preserve of nerds who would've already bought the official releases anyhow, so they are not really competing for sales with the official releases. Some artists actively support bootlegs.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Englishmen have to get blotto to even tap a foot at a show, otherwise we'd all be sitting their with faces like smacked arses.

A lot of early Hendrix gigs in England were like that, just people staring, though he was Jimi I suppose.  But other bands too, Cream, Yardbirds.  Depends on the crowd.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bootlegs are a grey area as they traditionally have been the preserve of nerds who would've already bought the official releases anyhow, so they are not really competing for sales with the official releases. Some artists actively support bootlegs.

Joe Strummer once said if you can do it and get away with it and put it out more power to you...but if we catch you doing it we will wrap it round your head...but once you're away we aint gonna waste time suing you or chasing you.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

A lot of early Hendrix gigs in England were like that, just people staring, though he was Jimi I suppose.  But other bands too, Cream, Yardbirds.  Depends on the crowd.

Late '60s and early '70s crowds used to just sit and watch, a much more preferable experience all round in my opinion than being forced to do such thoroughly un-English activities as body gyrations and moving one's head, except of course the screaming girls during the Elvis and Beatpop era. For evidence of this, see Jimi at the Royal Albert, Stones at Hyde Park - even Woodstock (yes, even American crowds just sat). At some point in the mid '70s crowds started to move about and get raucous; perhaps the onset of stadium rock supplies one reason for this switch.

Black market cds did tremendous good to spread word of mouth in particular when you look at Russia eastern europe etc... Now everybody have access to Youtube and such, I think it still helps big bands but it becomes harder for new bands to come through. Bands need to change their setlist regularly and it affects all the mystery you paid for.

3 hours ago, Zurimor said:

I don't know, paying money to visit a concert and then be unable to enjoy it because you have to stand still all the time....

Most of time, it doesn't bother me that much, but sometimes it can be annyoing like 5 or 6 people right in front of you all filming. Those are the situations in which you start to headbang like crazy since you can occupy a surprisingly large area with long enough hair. :D

I also feel like the atmosphere on concerts often was much better in the past than nowadays.

never filmed a concert but i think i PO'd this chick next to me. looked like she had high end equipment and was not happy with my singing along and the few times i accidentally jostled her blowing kisses and waving at Axl! :dance:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never filmed a concert but i think i PO'd this chick next to me. looked like she had high end equipment and was not happy with my singing along and the few times i accidentally jostled her blowing kisses and waving at Axl! :dance:

I think it's still on tickets that you aren't allowed to film, so we're pretty much on the safe side anyway. :lol:

15 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Ah, good old fashioned hypocrisy. It's amazing how we justify things as long as it falls in line with our own desires. Enjoy your bootleg concerts, Thiefy McThief.

EDIT - Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm just pulling your plonker and love you really.

:heart:

not at all Pappy as you are comparing apples to oranges......and I know you love to stir the pot so no offense taken as I love you too.......

18 hours ago, Zurimor said:

People who do this need to be shot. Because of your unwatchable blurry phone video with shit sound, other people can't properly see the band they paid money to see. And the huge light coming from your stupid phone screen is annoying as hell. Fuck you. Die. Get run over by a lawnmower. 

One of the worst cases I've seen was at a seated Joe Bonamassa concert where a woman 3 rows or so in front of me filmed most of the fucking concert with her fucking ipad above her head. I genuinely wanted her to suffer a serious injury right then and there. The thing is, I can't understand why nobody near (especially behind) her didn't tell her what a cunt she was being. 

I love taking the occasional picture with my compact camera, but other technology has no business at a concert imo. 

^I've seen people bring iPads to shows and it's mind boggling.

I've just stopped caring whether or not anyone filming is annoyed with me though. I didn't pay to see a show and not have fun. I'm pretty short, and I've been up front at shows and some cunt behind me puts their camera in front of me, whether it's a phone or a professional camera is irrelevant, I just smack it out of my line of sight. That really pisses people off :lol:

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

^I've seen people bring iPads to shows and it's mind boggling.

I've just stopped caring whether or not anyone filming is annoyed with me though. I didn't pay to see a show and not have fun. I'm pretty short, and I've been up front at shows and some cunt behind me puts their camera in front of me, whether it's a phone or a professional camera is irrelevant, I just smack it out of my line of sight. That really pisses people off :lol:

Part of me wanted to throw beer over her ipad. But it was a very calm seated gig and I figured it would greatly piss off other people as well. So I didn't. But I REALLY wanted to. 

• Like 1