Tommy Stinson: Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

Good interview. Tommy is just being honest here. Axl did say the music on Chinese was exactly what he wanted it to be, what he wanted to release. The booklet was not though.

This is what Tommy thinks about the records, not Axl. Axl said Chinese is still his favorite material to play live and seems proud about what he accomplished.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Bitch, please.

NO.

Tommy just set himself apart from the GNR legacy completly with his douchebaggery words 

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

Is he criticizing them though? He's basically saying that nearly no band has a "perfect" album.

i'm sorry but LIES is indeed a perfect album every song is GOOD 

Tommy is the definition of a gun for hire. He wasn't even a fan of GnR and looked down on their music, but joined the band to collect big paychecks for over a decade.

Incredible artistic integrity there. That's why nu-guns was a joke -- the only guys who had any credibility (Freese, Brain, Bucket, and Finck) all bounced soon after it became apparent Axl was not going to release music.

The ones who stayed were the paycheck warriors like Fortus and Stinson who didn't have any better prospects. I didn't care much for Bumblefoot's style but I respect him for having enough integrity to walk away from big money and do his own thing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i'm sorry but LIES is indeed a perfect album every song is GOOD 

Seems more like jumping on a person for not having a 100% positive view on something.

Let's say Tommy isn't feeling one of the Lies songs, is he really criticizing the band?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Tommy is the definition of a gun for hire. He wasn't even a fan of GnR and looked down on their music, but joined the band to collect big paychecks for over a decade.

Incredible artistic integrity there. That's why nu-guns was a joke -- the only guys who had any credibility (Freese, Brain, Bucket, and Finck) all bounced soon after it became apparent Axl was not going to release music.

The ones who stayed were the paycheck warriors like Fortus and Stinson who didn't have any better prospects. I didn't care much for Bumblefoot's style but I respect him for having enough integrity to walk away from big money and do his own thing.

u hit the nail on the head - the 2002 lineup was the only one minus tommy that looked like they wanted to really create something cool 

i have to say Brain and Bucket were the best and most intriguing nu gnr members that had the chops to potentially take Guns to a whole other level - then there was Axl 

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Good interview. Tommy is just being honest here. Axl did say the music on Chinese was exactly what he wanted it to be, what he wanted to release. The booklet was not though.

This is what Tommy thinks about the records, not Axl. Axl said Chinese is still his favorite material to play live and seems proud about what he accomplished.

what a delusional man - Madagascar live in 2002 was the only decent song to listen to from the entire album the REST is B GRADE SHITE 

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Well he's not that off...

Appetite: Anything Goes, You're Crazy

UYI I: Back off Bitch, LALD

UYI II: Get In The Ring, My World, Shotgun Blues, So Fine

Spaggheti Incident: 75% of the damn covers

The only real stinkers to me on CD are Riad and Scraped. But I like the badass riff on scraped. 

And taste is all subjective so who gives a shit anyways :shrugs:

Badass riff on Scraped? Did you miss the 1970's or something? That riff on Scraped is pure average.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

what a delusional man - Madagascar live in 2002 was the only decent song to listen to from the entire album the REST is B GRADE SHITE 

For liking more than one Chinese tune? that's silly. I think it's a very strong album actually. Not just decent.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Are you insane?

He is certainly way off (and so are you).

@AxlRoseCDII meet @wasted you two have similar thoughts on this matter...

You clearly missed me and @wasted having a duel about Ashba the other the day :P Chinese isn't a bad album at all, I'm not "insane". A lot of people like the album- it definitely has its problems, I don't like the overproduction on some songs but it's an epic album that gives you chills. Too bad it's the only original album Guns released in a quarter century.

19 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Badass riff on Scraped? Did you miss the 1970's or something? That riff on Scraped is pure average.

Again, I said "taste is subjective". I think it's badass, it's just an opinion and you're entitled to your own.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Tommy never liked GNR anyway and took the job as almost as a joke that turned into a long term thing

so don't sweat his opinion about old GNR songs  

from the same interview:

How did you score the Guns gig, by the way?

I was rehearsing in the same rehearsal hall as Josh Freese was and he had already joined the band and was playing with them. He just kinda joked at me, saying, “Hey, we need a bass player, you should come. Try it out, man! We’re just having fun with it.” I kinda went out there on a lark. I learned a couple songs, just went out there for fun and to see what it was about and not a whole lot happened after that so I had the gig. I was like, “Sure. Why not?” I mean the idea after I talked to Axl about it, you know, what he was trying to get done after everyone quit the band, I thought was pretty fuckin’ ballsy and cool. So I was kind of in for that reason.

You said you learned a couple of Guns songs. Were you a fan already? Did you go out and buy Appetite for Destruction or something like that?

No, I learned a couple, three songs and kind of winged it. I didn’t really contemplate a whole lot more than that. I was kind of testing myself as well.

Edited by Silent Jay

Just now, -W.A.R- said:

Tommy never liked GNR anyway and took the job as almost as a joke

so don't sweat his opinion about old GNR songs  

I think it went down like he explained.

He was never into the same scene as GN'R, and therefore naturally wasn't relating to the music.

He joined the band as he thought Axl was trying to do a cool thing by rebuilding the band. As he started playing the music, he came to appreciate it.

We have to consider that Tommy is cut from pretty much the same cloth as Duff, they are both punk rockers. Tommy probably related to a lot of the bass lines that Duff had laid down in the GN'R stuff.

I think he came in the project not expecting much, but when he left, he left as a fan of the stuff.

Tommy said in one of his interviews he told Paul Westerberg about Axl offering the gig and him not being sure or whatever and Paul said: "you should do it, it would be cool just cause no one wants you to do it" or something like that.

The former bass player of  The Replacements joining Guns N' Roses was probably a defiant move to him. Westerberg is a cool motherfucker.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1