Tommy Stinson: Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To a certain generation and group of people The Replacements mean and meant more than GnR ever could, regardless (or perhaps because of) how many arenas they fill out.  The Replacements were never about selling scented candles or beach towels y'see.

Yes but do The Replacements have these?

GNRFunko.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To a certain generation and group of people The Replacements mean and meant more than GnR ever could, regardless (or perhaps because of) how many arenas they fill out.  The Replacements were never about selling scented candles or beach towels y'see.

Not even ONE $100 pillow? COME ON NOW, THAT'S NOT VERY ROCK & ROLL OF THEM!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I was 18 when they were in their 'hey day'.  I still live here in Mpls and am well aware that they were very popular in the clubs.  Not sure they ever sold out even the home town Target Center arena...not even once.  I guess my point was when Tommy mentions "huge Replacement reunion shows..." it makes me LOL.  Esp when he is trying to compare to Gnr, even Nu GnR were bigger than the 'Mats ever were.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Original said:

I was 18 when they were in their 'hey day'.  I still live here in Mpls and am well aware that they were very popular in the clubs.  Not sure they ever sold out even the home town Target Center arena...not even once.  I guess my point was when Tommy mentions "huge Replacement reunion shows..." it makes me LOL.  Esp when he is trying to compare to Gnr, even Nu GnR were bigger than the 'Mats ever were.

Perhaps huge is meant in terms of what they mean as opposed to commerce.

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Dude, listen to Black Sabbath, Budgie, UFO, Zep, Uriah Heep, Mountain, Rush, King Crimson (73-74), Nazareth, Montrose, early Grand Funk, BTO, Original Bad Company, Free, Jericho (1972), Thin Lizzy, Golden Earring, Deep Purple etc. if you want to hear badass riffs.

It's cool that you like Scraped and you think it's badass, but there is so much out there for you to discover..which is better.

Alright cool man. I already listen to some Sabbath regularly, but Ill give these other bands a listen to, thanks. :headbang:

Also, Im not the one who said Scraped was badass lol. I just chimed in just to get more bands. I think the backing riff for the solo is really cool, but the main riff itself is ok.

1 hour ago, Original said:

What I read is the interviewer asked about the "huge GNR shows and Replacements reunion shows", meaning the GNR shows were described as huge, AND there were also the Replacements reunion shows. Had it been worded "huge GNR and Replacements reunion shows", then that would have implied that the Replacements shows were also huge.

At least thats how i read it

A couple more quotes from this same interview:

Do you prefer just chilling out and touring without so much of the gear that comes with the huge Guns N’ Roses shows and Replacements reunion shows?  

Tommy Stinson: I like all of it for different reasons. I’ll be honest with you, I am stoked about the Guns N’ Roses reunion. All those guys are my buddies, except I don’t really know Slash. I don’t think I’ve ever met him. But all those guys are my friends and I’m glad they’re out doing it but I’d be lying if I said I missed that gig.

You don’t feel like you’re missing out?  

Tommy Stinson: I miss the people a whole lot and obviously you miss the fans and stuff like that. But where I’m at in life right now, that’s just a whole thing that…I’m not saying I’d never do it again but I’m kind of glad I moved on from that.  It really was a lot and it really required, sadly, because of my circumstances with my ex-wife, to have to put a whole lot of crazy shit into play just to be able to do those tours towards the end, because I had this young daughter.  I’m in a much better place. I’ve had some time to fuckin’ sort some shit out up here where my trajectory right now is way more manageable for the bandwidth that I have for it.

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm not rewriting any history, but it's a known fact that Chinese Democracy didn't have the "monumental promotion" we all like to reference and joke about. Would 100x more promotion have helped to the point where CD wasn't necessarily a commercial failure? Maybe not exactly, but there's no denying it would have helped some.

Not to be rude, but that isn't a "known fact" it is just your opinion.

CD received more publicity/promotion than 99.9% of albums released in 2008. TV commercials. Advertisements in magazines and newspapers. GnR streamed the album on Myspace and it received like 20 million views, broke Myspace records if I remember correctly. Songs were used on one of the most popular video games in the world. A song from the album was used in a summer blockbuster movie featuring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe.

What more promotion could there have been? Band members going door-to-door and talking with people

Blaming lack of promotion for GnR's sales numbers just doesn't add up. That means that you think there are people out there who would have spent $16 to buy a Guns n Roses album, but they had no clue that GnR was putting out an album. With the internet and social media, that just doesn't make sense. You really think there are a million die-hard GnR fans out there that don't know about Chinese Democracy? They might not be able to name every band member, but by saying lack of promotion hurt sales, you are saying that these die-hard fans didn't (and still don't) know that GnR put out CD.   By die-hard fans I mean people who are willing to spend money on an album. Today, even fans of bands will just steal the albums off the Net instead of paying the band for their work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The thing I found odd when that album was released were the Axl crazies buying multiple copies of the thing and giving them out to friends, family members and random strangers! How many extra sales were drummed up by these crazy fans one wonders?

How many Axl/Chinese Democracy crazies are there though? The 10 in this forum and maybe another 10-20 worldwide?

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The thing I found odd when that album was released were the Axl crazies buying multiple copies of the thing and giving them out to friends, family members and random strangers! How many extra sales were drummed up by these crazy fans one wonders?

14 minutes ago, RONIN said:

How many Axl/Chinese Democracy crazies are there though? The 10 in this forum and maybe another 10-20 worldwide?

The thing that I always found odd about that at least in the US is that none of that mattered or counted as sales. Once Best Buy bought all their copies, SoundScan had nothing to do with it. So buying tons of copies from Best Buy was doing nothing for anyone outside of taking them off Best Buy shelves so they had less to ship to the $1 stores when they got rid of them.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Obviously. 

See now, I love Bad Apples. 

My original point is that it's totally OK with Tommy to say that some GNR songs aren't good. I actually lol'd at getting all mad that he'd have the nerve to say such a thing when people post about it all day every day here. 

"remove foot from mouth" guess I am the bad apple here "coughs" lol! ;)   it is all a matter of personal opinion anyway.  My world would have been a better example perhaps, but even with that said I am leaving myself open because I know someone out here won't agree!

I see your point...I agree it's pretty ironic considering...

18 hours ago, Hell House said:

Because the songs are good, it's the production that sucks. Can you not see the difference between an over-produced multitrack recording and a live performance?

Oh yeah, because adding a new intro to Better that still includes pitman like sunds at the beginning took away an overproduced song. And I hear music like most do not see it so nice try:lol: