Tommy Stinson: Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

11 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

buddy, the oringal 5 is what made the band great and izzy as it's primary songwriter douche 

I didn't like izzy's solo carreer before your comment. I still don't. Plus, douche, I didn't say what izzy wrote for guns was not good. Also, izzy seem to be good at bringing good, simple ideas, while slash, axl and duff seemed to be finishers. It seems that way to me everytime I hear a stradling solo song. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

california yeah its all right!

Does nothing for me :(

I'd like to like izzy's material but i just don't. It all sounds the same :/ 3 chords, rock n roll ala rolling stones guitar tone, boring lyrics. I mean, i don't get it. It's nowhere near any izzy's gnr song. And thats not because dust n bones and 14 years are that great. Good songs.

California certainly have a good vibe... But it's not stunning. It has that indie rock. Idk. 

Edited by riot

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I.e the best kind of rock n' roll.

Yeahhhhh no. I get that some people, generally over 40 (maybe over 50) enjoy that rock n roll vibe, but to me, izzy's are not that good and lack the magic. Just as you don't get why (well i guess) i like any chi dem song or slash or velvet song over izzys post gnr song. 

3 chords work sometimes. Not always. I.e worked for sweet child. But there's a lot more in this song. There are a lot of other things going. Put izzy's voice over axl's and replace slash by someone similar to izzy... You ain't got a number 1 song. He is fuckin good at bringing ideas to the table, but when it's time to shape it up a bit more.. It seems less than easy for him. But i get why some like that kinda vibe. It's smooth (would be easier for me in french right now) it irritates nobody's ear. It's not perfect crime or coma.  I mean, i work at an irish pub... 9 o clock I play izzy... 1h30 i certainly play killing in the name of. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, riot said:

I'd like to like izzy's material but i just don't. It all sounds the same :/ 3 chords, rock n roll ala rolling stones guitar tone, boring lyrics. I mean, i don't get it. It's nowhere near any izzy's gnr song. And thats not because dust n bones and 14 years are that great. Good songs.

California certainly have a good vibe... But it's not stunning. It has that indie rock. Idk. 

yeah i see what you mean

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riot said:

For me, the Izzy songs I like are the ones that stray away from his usual laid back rock n roll music. These are my go-to's when listening to Izzy

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Mendez said:

For me, the Izzy songs I like are the ones that stray away from his usual laid back rock n roll music. These are my go-to's when listening to Izzy

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

That does it a lot more for me.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:32 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Well he's not that off...

Appetite: Anything Goes, You're Crazy

UYI I: Back off Bitch, LALD

UYI II: Get In The Ring, My World, Shotgun Blues, So Fine

Spaggheti Incident: 75% of the damn covers

The only real stinkers to me on CD are Riad and Scraped. But I like the badass riff on scraped. 

And taste is all subjective so who gives a shit anyways :shrugs:

Agree on Shotgun Blues. Worse Real-Guns song period. Only one i never play. My World is better!

Also agree on Scraped. Probably the worst "Guns" song ever recorded. Yes worse than Just Another Sunday. Add If the World to the utter shit list. 

My 4 major gripes with CD:

1) Letting Bumble redon Bucket and Brian May's parts

2) leaving OMG off. The best rocker that came from that period by far and and it lived up to the hype surrounding Axl's vision post UYI.

3) Axl's vocals. Inaudible and the demos sounded better at times.

4) unnecessary over production on The Blues(went from cool UYI style song to unlistenable), Catcher, Madagascar, IRS etc. overproduction worked on TIL, Prostitute, TWAT & Shackler.

and yes folks, it's so hard to wrap your head around the fact that an album that took over 10yrs was released unfinished! 

Those 4 things I listed would've made a world of difference in the records legacy.

• Like 1

I bought 4 copies of AFD. 1 tape and 3 cds. I guess most people bought 2 copies. The whole tape to cd transition was probably lucrative. I re bought so many on cd. 

I think you need Slash and Axl to ramp up the Izzy songs to be more hard rock. Maybe the majority of Guns fans want a rocker or a power ballad. He does quite a few fast ones and acousticy type ballads but not power ballads. Izzy is not very metal. 

21 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Add Spazed, Seems to Me, Gotta Say, River, Got Some News, Good Enough, On Down the Road,  Bleedin' & Coke N' to that Izzy list

Chop Away is pretty classic. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wasted said:

I bought 4 copies of AFD. 1 tape and 3 cds. I guess most people bought 2 copies. The whole tape to cd transition was probably lucrative. I re bought so many on cd. 

I think you need Slash and Axl to ramp up the Izzy songs to be more hard rock. Maybe the majority of Guns fans want a rocker or a power ballad. He does quite a few fast ones and acousticy type ballads but not power ballads. Izzy is not very metal. 

Chop Away is pretty classic. 

Yea if you are listening to any of these guys individually and expecting to hear Guns N' Roses and afd u will be disappointed. If you broaden your horizons you will appreciate Each of their work and coolness. 

If you want to hear the closest resemblance to GN'R and afd/uyi then listen to VR & Slash

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea if you are listening to any of these guys individually and expecting to hear Guns N' Roses and afd u will be disappointed. If you broaden your horizons you will appreciate Each of their work and coolness. 

If you want to hear the closest resembles to

GN'R than listen to VR & Slash

Exactly, if Izzy was more stadium metal he'd sell more and probably get more label interest. It's more a Keith Ricards solo album or Tom Petty shaped albums. Actually a little more punky. 

Maybe if you really like Think about you, Dust n Bones and Patience, Used to Love Her GNR then he might be great for you. But if you like a big vocalist and epic solos, a bigger more stadium sound then, no. 

Izzy is nowhere near Jungle, SCOM, PC, YCBM, Don't Cry, Nov Rain in terms of big rock songs. 

You could say combo of CD epics, best of VR and some Izzy songs would be a GNR album. Then you wonder what the fuck have they been doing? 

To me Izzy is perfect for home stereo listening. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

On donderdag 19 januari 2017 at 2:01 AM, Apollo said:

Seriously - what's the point of saying that? It just paints guy as a crazy fan-boy who isn't capable of having an intelligent conversation or debate about GnR.

"I think every GnR song is great" - that's a valid statement. Just like Tommy's comments that he doesn't like every song is valid. Music is all about personal preference.

But to make a statement of fact like "GnR hasn't written a bad song" is just silly. You are confusing your personal preference with what is actual a fact.

Silkworms. Cornchucker. Shotgun Blues. Blood in the Water. Anything Goes. My World. Scraped. So Fine. Bad Obsession. Shadow of your love. Too much Too Soon. Ain't going down. Back of Bitch. Get in the Ring. These are all bad songs.

The fact that Axl chooses to play so many covers pretty much proved the point that he isn't happy with his entire catalog.

'Silkworms' and 'Scraped' are not GNR songs.  I'm not even gonna comment on 'Blood In The Water'...

By the way, 'Too Much Too Soon' is not a GNR song either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teroz said:

Sometimes it can happen to any man, yank and it's out of your hand a bit prematurely and yes it can make a man unhappy. So completely natural feelings from Axl there.

Lol...looks like you have a weird sense if humor like I do...a case of premature yankilation perhaps....sorry even nice girls have dirty minds. :P:P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mendez said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Izzy's music is much more varied than what is being described above. In his own way he is just as experimental as Axl really.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rock N' Roll? Country-Rock? Reggae? Punk? Psychedelia? (Surf) instrumental?

Yep. Just because he gave us some Reggae doesn't mean he is just as experimental as Axl. Please... Slash's sound also contains neo classical touches, country, and punk. Doesn't mean Slash is as experimental as Axl.

All of those guys just keep making the same music they've always made. And it's not that Axl is super experimental musically, it's just that compared to Izzy he is much more experimental.

He has incorporated new influences while Izzy is making rock n' roll albums. Axl went alternative with shred, NIN sounds, etc. Keith also likes reggae but I wouldn't call him experimental.

Edited by Rovim