Tommy Stinson: Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

11 hours ago, riot said:

I didn't like izzy's solo carreer before your comment. I still don't. Plus, douche, I didn't say what izzy wrote for guns was not good. Also, izzy seem to be good at bringing good, simple ideas, while slash, axl and duff seemed to be finishers. It seems that way to me everytime I hear a stradling solo song. 

you were dismissing izzy and it came off as disrespectufl to his talents king doucney

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

you were dismissing izzy and it came off as disrespectufl to his talents king doucney

In what way did I dismiss izzy's talent?? I fuckin don't like izzy's post gnr career. To me, there's absolutely nothing special in his post-gnr writting. 

11 hours ago, Mendez said:

For me, the Izzy songs I like are the ones that stray away from his usual laid back rock n roll music. These are my go-to's when listening to Izzy

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

first few times i listened to UPSIDE i didnt really get excited

then one day, listening to music on shuffle, that opening riff started playing

i had no memory of what song was it from and when the vocals came in... 

bang!, it was that Izzy song!

the one i never really paid much attention to

i have no idea why but today i find that song really great and really love it!

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yep. Just because he gave us some Reggae doesn't mean he is just as experimental as Axl. Please... Slash's sound also contains neo classical touches, country, and punk. Doesn't mean Slash is as experimental as Axl.

All of those guys just keep making the same music they've always made. And it's not that Axl is super experimental musically, it's just that compared to Izzy he is much more experimental.

He has incorporated new influences while Izzy is making rock n' roll albums. Axl went alternative with shred, NIN sounds, etc. Keith also likes reggae but I wouldn't call him experimental.

Being experimental is exploring different genre which Stradlin certainly has done across his entire solo career.

I find it hard to sustain the argument that Rose is experimental. Axl certainly, Nugnr era, liked to think of himself as experimental, but a bunch of numetal songs with bleeping and wanking overdubbed over the top does not make one experimental: it merely means you have taken a numetal song and overdubbed wanking and farting over the top.

39 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Being experimental is exploring different genre which Stradlin certainly has done across his entire solo career.

I find it hard to sustain the argument that Rose is experimental. Axl certainly, Nugnr era, liked to think of himself as experimental, but a bunch of numetal songs with bleeping and wanking overdubbed over the top does not make one experimental: it merely means you have taken a numetal song and overdubbed wanking and farting over the top.

Nonesense. Listen to the albums. All you need to do is compare what Axl did with old Guns compared to Chinese: it sounds different. It sounds like yes, he did some musical experimentation, and he introduced influences that were new to Guns and new to what Axl was doing.

I wrote in my previous post that it's not like I consider Axl to be the really experimental type of musician, but he tried things that were alien to the Guns sound, and Guns albums is all that he ever released.

What Izzy is doing now, he always did that. Slash, Duff and Adler - pretty much the same deal.

You said Izzy in his own way is just as experimental as Axl which is just not the case.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Nonesense. Listen to the albums. All you need to do is compare what Axl did with old Guns compared to Chinese: it sounds different. It sounds like yes, he did some musical experimentation, and he introduced influences that were new to Guns and new to what Axl was doing.

I wrote in my previous post that it's not like I consider Axl to be like the really experimental type of musician, but he tried things that were alien to the Guns sound, and Guns albums is all that he ever released.

What Izzy is doing now, he always did that. Slash, Duff and Adler - pretty much the same deal.

You said Izzy in his own way is just as experimental as Axl which is just not the case.

Yip. He bleeped over a bunch of crappy numetal songs and cheesy ballads. Or should I say, he got Pitman to bleep over the stuff. Very experimental.

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yip. He bleeped over a bunch of crappy numetal songs and cheesy ballads. Or should I say, he got Pitman to bleep over the stuff. Very experimental.

You don't have to like it in order for it to be considered new sounds. Compared to what old Guns did, you can't say he did not introduce new musical influences to his music. Axl Rose plus many sounds that are new compared to what he did in the past. Unlike Izzy or Slash. They stayed true to what they were always into.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

You don't have to like it in order for it to be considered new sounds. Compared to what old Guns did, you can't say he did not introduced new musical influences to his music. Axl Rose plus many sounds that are new compared to what he did in the past. Unlike Izzy or Slash. They stayed more true to what they were always into.

Stradlin explored new genres.

Listen, I'm not even that arsed about whether or not Axl is experimental. Experimental acts tend to produce excrement at the best of times. But all CD is is a bunch of bleeping and farting over some '90s metal - and the ballads. How is that experimental?

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stradlin explored new genres.

Listen, I'm not even that arsed about whether or not Axl is experimental. Experimental acts tend to produce excrement at the best of times. But all CD is is a bunch of bleeping and farting over some '90s metal - and the ballads. How is that experimental?

Old Guns was a Hard Rock band. Like you wouldn't expect some sounds on Chinese from a young Axl Rose. Their influences were Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Stones, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, etc.

Axl incorporated other things, new things to Guns like NIN, shred, Faith No More sounding stuff, shit like that.

So while bands like Guns and singers that fronted them like Steven Tyler or AC/DC remained pretty much the same, Axl chased things he liked and incorporated those influences into his music. Better is a good example of doing that.

Not really the kind of tune you'll expect from Slash. And Izzy never veered too far from what he always liked. Clapton tried some other shit as well, but I wouldn't call it as experimental as Axl who went from what was essentially Hard Rock to a more Alternative rock sound.

Edited by Rovim

While I'm mostly fine with CDs musical content (apart from Rihad which sucks) I'm still amazed that they managed to fuck up the booklet. The pixelated placeholder image on the Prostitute lyrics page is a disgrace, considering how beautiful most of the inside is. Most of the band pics are fantastic too, I remeber how intrigued I was by the shot of Bucket. Put the red hand cover on a finished booklet and the packaging would have been top-notch.

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Old Guns was a Hard Rock band. Like you wouldn't expect some sounds on Chinese from a young Axl Rose. Their influences were Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, etc.

Axl incorporated other things, new things to Guns like NIN, shred, Faith No More sounding stuff, shit like that.

So while bands like Guns and singers that fronted them like Steven Tyler or AC/DC remained pretty much the same, Axl chased things he liked and incorporated those influences into his music. Better is a good example of doing that.

Not really the kind of tune you'll expect from Slash. And Izzy never veered too far from what he always liked. Clapton tried some other shit as well, but I wouldn't call it as experimental as Axl who went from what was essentially Hard Rock to a more Alternative rock sound.

yes, shacklers revenge has got to be the best examople of axl veering into dog shit and crashing 

1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yes, shacklers revenge has got to be the best examople of axl veering into dog shit and crashing 

It's what I'd expect a Bucket tune to sound like. Not so weird if you're a Bucket fan, which I am. I think Axl came up with cool vocals for it and an interesting theme. It's different compared to old Guns though.

29 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I wish Axl wasn't that experimental. He was, that's the problem imo.

I like a few CD songs, but CD cannot really be compared with AFD or UYIs.

Of course, had they put out 10 hard rock albums and CD, it wouldn't matter that much.

UYI was quite experimental at the time, i mean compared to AFD. I'm glad that Guns didn't put out AFDx5. It's the versatility that's one of the great things about GN'R IMO. But i agree that CD can't be compared to the previous albums..

33 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

If you don't like Chinese, fine, but don't insult my intelligence with this "lol nu-metal, lol Pitman beeps" nonsense. 

A quarter of the record is fairly traditional power ballads, a third is electro-funk rock, and a third is experimental psychedelic.

Not too many acts record their own samples, have a hip-hop style drummer, and incorporate strings into their work.

It's postmodern and experimental. It has a heavy 70s influence throughout.

''funk''? ''Psychedelia''? There is nothing funky or psychedelic about the bloody thing!!

34 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm unsurprised that AFD purists don't like it, as they gravitate to 1960s and before idea of music. 

Huh?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

UYI was quite experimental at the time, i mean compared to AFD. I'm glad that Guns didn't put out AFDx5. It's the versatility that's one of the great things about GN'R IMO.

UYI was more versatile than AFD, no doubt, but I wouldn't say that they went away from their roots.

It was probably a matter of time when they would do longer songs, use the piano etc. Axl was working on Nov Rain years before AFD.

But CD is not exactly the natural progress for GN'R sound imo.

• Like 2

Just now, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

UYI was more versatile than AFD, no doubt, but I wouldn't say that they went away from their roots.

It was probably a matter of time when they would do longer songs, use the piano etc. Axl was working on Nov Rain years before AFD.

But CD is not exactly the natural progress for GN'R sound imo.

true.. 

34 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

This forum is funny, a month or two ago it was VR that was being "accused" of being "nu-metal" and now it's CD.

Maybe next month we'll find out Izzy is "nu-metal" as well :shrugs:

I consider Contraband and Chinese to be heavily influenced by numetal and have been fairly consistent in that view.

• Like 1