Tommy Stinson: Chinese Democracy "kinda got yanked from Axl's hands a little bit prematurely"

4 hours ago, Gackt said:

Speaker of producers, I'd go for Danger Mouse if a new album was to happen; I've dug his work with Black Keys, RHCP, U2.  Nick Raskulinecz is alright for heavier bands, but some of his produced albums like Alice in Chains' Black Gives Way to Blue are mixed way too loud.  Rubin's overrated.

Has Mike Clink even been active as a producer anymore?

Mike Clink produced that SMKC Elton John cover that never ended up getting released last year.

Axl said in chats that the follow up would come out next year, which would be 2010. But obviously the label or whoever wouldn't do that unless CD was a hit. So between 2010-14 they probably should have been touring CD II but it was more a Best of tour. 

With that material, all the stuff from the original line up, the label probably want Slash and Duff on it. Plus new stuff. It shapes up like a Self titled album. A little from each era of GNR. Maybe the new stuff will be trying to be more AFD style writing. They have late 90s material, they have some Chinese stuff, maybe even an Izzy track. All bases are covered. Clink produces. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mendez said:

Chances are they are either going to go with Caram, Eric Valentine (who Slash did all of his solo albums with), or Sean Beaven (only because it seems like everyone in the new GNR camp liked his stuff most). Or hell, maybe Axl will try his hand at self producing by himself

Slash should really avoid anyone that has been involved with his SMKC albums. The first thing any half-decent producer would do for SMKC is fire Miles Kennedy. On the spot. Out!

Can you imagine listenig to take after take of Miles Kennedy? Nothin against the guy, but his voice is unbearable, its just as bad as Axl clean-bee-gees-mickey-whatever voice

13 hours ago, Gackt said:

Speaker of producers, I'd go for Danger Mouse if a new album was to happen; I've dug his work with Black Keys, RHCP, U2.  Nick Raskulinecz is alright for heavier bands, but some of his produced albums like Alice in Chains' Black Gives Way to Blue are mixed way too loud.  Rubin's overrated.

Has Mike Clink even been active as a producer anymore?

I cant believe that you are suggesting an U2 producer.

Anyone that has been involved with any U2 release should be banned from the universe along with everyone that has ever been involved with musical releasese from creed, nickelback, creed, coldplay, creed, pearl jam, creed, miles kennedy, creed and axl solo band

There is nothing more un-rocking than U2 

Oh, actually there is, Axl solo album and Slashs SMKC albums

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

The Devil You Know is really heavy and extremely dark, but give it a chance it's a grower just as Dehumanizer.

While the first half of 13 aged awfully, the second part not: Age Of Reason, Damaged Soul, also Methademic are awesome. The End EP felt like another deluxe edition bonus disc sadly. Anyway Iommi/Geezer can't do wrong. 

A GnR 13 would be an awful idea. No better attempt at 'Caving in' than trying unsuccessfully another Sweet Child O' Mine or Welcome To The Jungle.

I dont dislike it, I just found it generic and similar to a thousand other metal bands... It doenst have a unique Sabbath feel to it like Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules or even Dehumanizer, way too modern. And yeah, "The Devil You Know", sorry. haha

And I think the oposite about 13. I love the first half of it for its blues based songs and then I think it got way too heavy metal-ish. But yeah, Iommi and Geezer, Black Sabbath... I dont think it can ever age cause it was exactly what they have in mind, their roots. 

I enjoyed 13 but it was a nostalgia album. I don't care enough about Sabbath to be sickened. It was like Sonic Temple of Sabbath. Too many bonus tracks to be a drinking album though. 

Anyway why go with Rubin when you have the deal real nostalgia Big 3 producer in Clink. Think UYI 3 meets CD II with chick on keyboards. Bump anyone? 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2017 at 2:05 PM, Silent Jay said:

I liked 13.

But I think Rick Rubin ruined it. You don't teach Tony how to riff, or trying to redo Planet Caravan with Zeitgest.

13 shouldn't have been influenced by the first Black Sabbath album, Black Sabbath. Rubin can't bring the magic just like that, just as he wanted Ballbreaker to be Back In Black and Highway To Hell. It's dark but nothing as glorious and nostalgic as Never Say Die!

Fucking love what he did for Danzig anyway.

Never Say Die! Was absolutely terrible.

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Slash should really avoid anyone that has been involved with his SMKC albums. The first thing any half-decent producer would do for SMKC is fire Miles Kennedy. On the spot. Out!

Can you imagine listenig to take after take of Miles Kennedy? Nothin against the guy, but his voice is unbearable, its just as bad as Axl clean-bee-gees-mickey-whatever voice

I cant believe that you are suggesting an U2 producer.

Anyone that has been involved with any U2 release should be banned from the universe along with everyone that has ever been involved with musical releasese from creed, nickelback, creed, coldplay, creed, pearl jam, creed, miles kennedy, creed and axl solo band

There is nothing more un-rocking than U2 

Oh, actually there is, Axl solo album and Slashs SMKC albums

I like Myles Kennedy in Alter Bridge and on Slashs last album. So much so that I'm going to see Alter Bridge in February. Its no different than people who don't like Axl's voice, which is understandable. I also think Creed, Pearl Jam, and U2 (their earlier stuff) are solid bands. Coldplay is ok. At the end of the day, a producer has a job to accomplish: to record and mix an artist.

Danger Mouse produced Red Hot Chili Peppers last album, which I think was good. "Encore" and "Dreams of a Samurai" are definitely my favorite.

15 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

This album was a perfect ending for the band at that time. It's jazzy, heavy and mysterious. I may sometimes cry when I listen to Never Say Die!

Yeah I cry when I listen to it too. But for vastly different reasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mendez said:

I like Myles Kennedy in Alter Bridge and on Slashs last album. So much so that I'm going to see Alter Bridge in February. Its no different than people who don't like Axl's voice, which is understandable. I also think Creed, Pearl Jam, and U2 (their earlier stuff) are solid bands. Coldplay is ok. At the end of the day, a producer has a job to accomplish: to record and mix an artist.

Danger Mouse produced Red Hot Chili Peppers last album, which I think was good. "Encore" and "Dreams of a Samurai" are definitely my favorite.

everyone has its own taste right?

31 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

everyone has its own taste right?

yeah definitely. All I'm saying is that I don't think Creed/Pearl Jam/U2 are a huge steaming pile of dog shit as everyone says they are. I reserve that spot for the band Attila. They fucking suck

(then again, thats just my taste lol)

Edited by Mendez

27 minutes ago, Mendez said:

yeah definitely. All I'm saying is that I don't think Creed/Pearl Jam/U2 are a huge steaming pile of dog shit as everyone says they are. I reserve that spot for the band Attila. They fucking suck

(then again, thats just my taste lol)

fuck i thought i was the only one who cant stand U2; everyone says U2 is a pile of dog shit? where is everyone? I wanna be friends with everyone hahahaha

@Rovim I always enjoy reading your posts. Very articulate and on point about many things.

I personally can understand Axls writing approach. If he's writing lyrics and singing them the music has to match the feel he wishes to come from it. 

To me if a song has more personal meaning then that way works out better.

If your just coming up with cool songs then Slash's can work.

Axls tinkering is genius at times but yes some things are possibly over tinkered. I also think we must consider that when writing you may be in a certain place that later your not in. I'm assuming Axl likes to be able to feel his music and when your disalussioned or moving on from an idea it changes direction sometimes. 

Also the fans were much more critical on Axl over the years and that's fine but I think it pushed him more to try to perfect CD to what he envisioned.

I see no problem with artists who expand their style, so to speak. It allows them to appeal to more and new fans but also allows them to express their artistic visions more. 

Axls ability to use different styles and techniques to me show his genius as an artist. He is able to progress while also still keeping to his roots.

Wanted to add I'm a few days late responding back to some of this but work has been crazy this week.

Edited by BOSSY78
Autocorrect sucks