VR Gaming Thread

downzy

It will likely be years before I jump into this technology, but it is interesting watching the development of VR as a viable consumer product.  Figured this thread could serve as a good place to discuss VR gaming and games people would like to see.

I came across this article today and fully agree that a remake of the PC game Tie Fighter (and the less popular but equally enjoyable X-Wing) for VR would be amazing.

https://www.cnet.com/news/we-need-a-star-wars-tie-fighter-vr-remake/

It feels as though many type of gaming genres could see rejuvenation through VR.  Flight simulators, aerial combat, racing, simulation building games (SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc) - all could see a resurgence if VR takes off.  

Part of the reason I play less games of late is that they all feel so similar.  Feels like there's very little variety outside of the shooting, sandbox, and mobile-puzzle games.  

17 minutes ago, downzy said:

It will likely be years before I jump into this technology, but it is interesting watching the development of VR as a viable consumer product.  Figured this thread could serve as a good place to discuss VR gaming and games people would like to see.

I came across this article today and fully agree that a remake of the PC game Tie Fighter (and the less popular but equally enjoyable X-Wing) for VR would be amazing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/18/assange-manning-commutation-doesn-t-meet-my-extradition-offer.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

It feels as though many type of gaming genres could see rejuvenation through VR.  Flight simulators, aerial combat, racing, simulation building games (SimCity, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc) - all could see a resurgence if VR takes off.  

Part of the reason I play less games of late is that they all feel so similar.  Feels like there's very little variety outside of the shooting, sandbox, and mobile-puzzle games.  

You sure you have the right link there, liebling?

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

Thanks for the catch....  Had multiple browser tabs open, copied the wrong one...

Fixed now.

On the subject itself, I'm not sure whether VR is for me. I get why some people are so excited about it, and immersion in gaming is obviously key, but I'm not sure that I want to be visually locked into the game, rather than sitting in my home playing a game. I think that those who will get the biggest kick from it are those who play things like Microsoft Flight Simulator, as a lot of those types of people are quite finicky, so getting drawn in would be a huge boon for them. Games like Skyrim though? Not sure too many people would want a Frostbite spider jumping out at them in VR.

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

On the subject itself, I'm not sure whether VR is for me. I get why some people are so excited about it, and immersion in gaming is obviously key, but I'm not sure that I want to be visually locked into the game, rather than sitting in my home playing a game. I think that those who will get the biggest kick from it are those who play things like Microsoft Flight Simulator, as a lot of those types of people are quite finicky, so getting drawn in would be a huge boon for them. Games like Skyrim though? Not sure too many people would want a Frostbite spider jumping out at them in VR.

Skyrim in VR? I think I have to quit my job for that. I hope that never sees the light of day.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Dazey said:

Is VR worth the hype then? I'm looking at upgrading to a GTX 1080 and picking up a Rift or a Vive but still not sure if it's worth it. 

If I wasn't blowing all my money on GNR this year then I'd have a PS4 and PSVR just for Rez Infinite (I own and love the original Rez on Dreamcast). The Rift and Vive are technically superior to the PS VR but there's no games on either that I would say are must-play. I've heard great things about Resident Evil 7 in VR but Sony paid for the VR mode to be PlayStation exclusive for a year. I would hold off for a year on VR, hopefully by then Resident Evil 7 will be on PC VR (don't know what the chances of a PC port of Rez Infinite are). I had a play with a Vive in Curry's a year or so ago and loved it, but that was playing tech demos for 15 minutes.

I'll jump in once they develop some decent air-combat games.  

I wonder if the Rift will be compatible with the upcoming Xbox Scorpio.  Microsoft seems more interested in augmented reality than virtual reality, but the Scorpio will be the only current gen system I'm buying, so hopefully another company can fill the void assuming the machine is powerful enough to handle proper VR.