"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

A little late to starting this, but I wanted to make a new "Movie Thread", in which we can post what the last movie we watched was along with a rating out of Five Stars. You can write a small review as well if you wish, but the only thing "necessary" is the movie title and your rating for it.

Just something different so others might be more inclined to checking out a movie if they see someone's rating and/or review along with it. :)

I'll start off:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 3.75/5

Stephen King praised this movie and said it rivaled Alien in terms of suspense and horror, and while I wouldn't necessarily praise is that much, I thought it was a very well done, modern horror movie. Mainly focused on suspense and tension rather than jump scares or things of the sort. If you're a horror movie fan, I'd definitely recommend it.

The last movie I watched was (has a long think) Wild Things with Denise Richards and Neve Campbell.

It's a good little thriller with plenty of twists along the way, none of which are glaringly obvious (I've seen it before, anyway) that kind of gets a bad reputation and is pretty much only known for a couple of raunchy sex scenes. I actually think that the sex scenes detract from the movie a little and it would have been better without them. Oh, and Neve Campbell's blonde wig is truly laughable.

6 Gripped Biceps out of Ten.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 1

Well, to recap what I last posted in the other thread:

Rebecca (1940) and Spellbound (1945)

Both excellent, but I strongly recommend Rebecca for a watch if you had to pick one. Both films are notorious (no pun intended) for the creative battles the ensued during production when Hitchcock found himself stuck in a reluctant contract, but the troubles don't show on film. Rebecca sees Hitchcock try his take on the Gothic structure and it's a very effective film with great performances and many unexpected twists. It's also Hitchcock's only film to win Best Picture.

• Like 1

Underworld: Blood Wars - 4/5

I'm an unabashed Underworld fan and know that they're basically mindless fun, but I don't care. Enjoyed this one a little more than the previous and looking forward to watching it again when it releases for home viewing. Recommended if you're a fan of the series or just dumb-fun movies.

Patriots Day - 4/5

Definitely the most moving film that Peter Berg has done so far; Obviously in line with Deepwater Horizon and Lone Survivor, both of which I enjoyed as well, though I found this to be the best of the three. Even though most know (or should know) how the events of the Boston Bombings unfolded over the few days involved, the movie still serves up a great deal of suspense when you see how certain situations actually went down and it definitely makes you feel "patriotic" by the end. The movie is a lot better than most will probably expect it to be, and the score by Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor is expectedly great as well. Check it out.

A Monster Calls - 4.25/5

Really great movie and an interesting story. Enjoyable to the point where the time goes by fairly effortlessly and the storytelling is done very well. You may be forced to give up a few tears as well. Only wish I would have either see it in the theaters or waited for the blu-ray so I could "experience" it better than I got to, because it's definitely a movie worth viewing in great quality. Certainly recommend, though.

18 hours ago, PappyTron said:

The last movie I watched was (has a long think) Wild Things with Denise Richards and Neve Campbell.

It's a good little thriller with plenty of twists along the way, none of which are glaringly obvious (I've seen it before, anyway) that kind of gets a bad reputation and is pretty much only known for a couple of raunchy sex scenes. I actually think that the sex scenes detract from the movie a little and it would have been better without them. Oh, and Neve Campbell's blonde wig is truly laughable.

6 Gripped Biceps out of Ten.

10 gripped biceps for the lezzin' each other off in the pool scene!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john lennon said:

Why have I never heard of this? Is it worth a watch? 

It jus came out 2 days ago.  Is it worth a watch? Well it depends, I'd say it is yes for the simple fact that it is has interviews from and about all those shady NYC Chelsea Hotel characters that you've only read about in print...to recognise a lot of the parties being interviewed like Neon Leon and Helen Killer and them you have to be soemthing of an afficianado though.  Probably the best documentary i seen on the subject but nothing radically new or some crazy never seen footage or anything, just running through all the different theories, little new bits here and there, little NYPD police interview transcript bits.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It jus came out 2 days ago.  Is it worth a watch? Well it depends, I'd say it is yes for the simple fact that it is has interviews from and about all those shady NYC Chelsea Hotel characters that you've only read about in print...to recognise a lot of the parties being interviewed like Neon Leon and Helen Killer and them you have to be soemthing of an afficianado though.  Probably the best documentary i seen on the subject but nothing radically new or some crazy never seen footage or anything, just running through all the different theories, little new bits here and there, little NYPD police interview transcript bits.

Definitely sounds like it's worth a watch. Thansk! 

Hidden Figures - 4/5

As someone who tends to pride themselves as one of the least prejudice people ever, it's always a little difficult to watch movies that are about certain oppression or have oppressive scenes, just because I find it so hard to fathom that people were/are like that. That said, this was a very well done movie that tells a story that most probably wouldn't think about, or care about. Fine acting all around and does a great job of telling the story of how these women helped with their mission and the trials they had to face along the way. Not for everyone, purely because some may be bored with the story, but if you've seen and enjoyed movies like The Imitation Game, this movie is done similarly and done just as well.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:55 PM, GN'F'NR'S! said:

Probably my favorite.... along with "Natural Born Killers".

love love love Natural Born Killers! need to see that one again soon :D

i just rewatched The Grand Budapest Hotel. when i first saw it i came in kinda late and wasn't sure wtf it was about. i was surprised to see it was nominated Best Picture at the Oscars. but this time i saw it from the beginning and it was better. plus that pastry looked to die for ( sorry, i've been on a fast for my blood work :P ) 3.75 out of 5 stars!

19 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Sad Vacation: The Last Days of Sid n Nancy

just watched the trailer and a couple of observations *SPOILERS* did they really snort his ashes? Sid was HOT. the chick in Sid and Nancy did not do a very good job in IMO. especially in contrast to Gary Oldman who was excellent, also JMO.

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

just watched the trailer and a couple of observations *SPOILERS* did they really snort his ashes? Sid was HOT. the chick in Sid and Nancy did not do a very good job in IMO. especially in contrast to Gary Oldman who was excellent, also JMO.

I doubt it, you know what these junkies are like, anyway the story aint straight on his ashes, these guys say Sids mum scattered them over Nancys grave but theres other stories about, one being that it was acidentally dropped by an air vent at Heathrow airport and sucked into the ventilation system :lol:  Like a lot of things in Sidneys life its all a big confusion, like his name, no one knows what it is, whether its John Simon Richie or John Beverley.

As far as hot, he may very well have been but his personal hygiene was not uh...up to scratch. In fact customs were so disgusted at his underwear that they refused to search him, he was a squatter who rarely bathed, had crabs, caught Hepatitis and was generally disgusting :lol:

On the American tour the management physically forced him to have a bath cuz it was unbearable to be in the same bus as him.  Theres a funny before and after picture from the bath where he literally changed colour :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I doubt it, you know what these junkies are like, anyway the story aint straight on his ashes, these guys say Sids mum scattered them over Nancys grave but theres other stories about, one being that it was acidentally dropped by an air vent at Heathrow airport and sucked into the ventilation system :lol:  Like a lot of things in Sidneys life its all a big confusion, like his name, no one knows what it is, whether its John Simon Richie or John Beverley.

As far as hot, he may very well have been but his personal hygiene was not uh...up to scratch. In fact customs were so disgusted at his underwear that they refused to search him, he was a squatter who rarely bathed, had crabs, caught Hepatitis and was generally disgusting :lol:

On the American tour the management physically forced him to have a bath cuz it was unbearable to be in the same bus as him.  Theres a funny before and after picture from the bath where he literally changed colour :lol:

um, thanks for sharing?? *barf* :lol:

• Like 1

Split *** 1/2  A very welcome return to form. McAvoy is a fucking delight.

Silence **** Same here re a return to form. It's (probably) not stand-the-test-of-time-great but it's his best in twenty years or so.

The Fits **** Arguably the best "true" indie of the year. 

I Am Not Your Negro **** would be the best American doc of the year if OJ: Made in America hadn't suddenly stopped being a TV thing.