"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Get Out  - 4.75/5

I saw the trailer for this movie for the first time before Split a number of weeks ago, and rather than saying "That looks terrible.", like a lot of new Hollywood thrillers can be, this one had me saying "That looks pretty interesting." After constant hype and the constant 100% on Rotten Tomatoes (115-0), I decided I wanted to see this one opening night. Went and saw it late last night and I can't recommend it enough; A tense horror movie that edges with not-so-subtle, racist and privileged undertones, all the while able to make you laugh occasionally, keep you on the edge of your seat, and still take the movie seriously. Go see it.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎20 at 2:44 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Interstellar - 4.5/5

Third time seeing this movie since it came out a few years ago, and I still find it just as strong and compelling as the first time. Amazingly written and shot film, and the score is amazing. Glad I saw it in IMAX when it came out, and happy I have a nice home theater/sound system to still experience it on today, because that is a huge portion of this movie, in my opinion.

Love this movie, although I have to watch it again, pretty much cried my way through the first time lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It's been awhile since I've had a complete change of opinion about a movie before but man did I hate Before Midnight after watching it again.

I have a lot to say about this movie and movies in general but I'll keep my astute observations to myself. 

I remember watching Sunrise and Sunset years ago and enjoying them. My dad is a big fan of the films and loved Midnight. I tried watching it on a flight once (not the best environment to watch a film, admittedly) and stopped after about 20 minutes because every character was so up their own arse. It's a common criticism with Linklater films, and the usual riposte is that he's aware the characters are pretentious and is presenting them as such, which I thought was true with Sunrise with the young naive lovers, but I did not feel that was the case with Midnight.

Saw 3 films last week:

- The Lego Batman Movie: Good, but a bit too much of the "lolsorandom" Family Guy-esque humour for me, preferred The Lego Movie which I loved.

- John Wick: Chapter Two: Good, but I thought the first was leaner and this one tried too hard to be cool at times.

- The Salesman: Went to screening in Trafalgar Square, very good film. Only the second Farhadi film I have seen (the other being A Separation), but he really captures life in Iran perfectly.

• Like 1