"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

Yes, it has definitely been months haha. So it seems like you go on little ocd type actor/director "kicks"...nothing wrong with that!

And you've intrigued me..I'm not much of a classic cinema type of person.. is there a particular film noir that you can recommend that I look for? I think that genre might interest me..

Double Indemnity is really good place to start

59 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hey @Len Cnut, have you seen The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and if so, is it worth seeing?

Welcome back btw *hug*

It is quite literally and without the slightest hint of hyperbole one of the greatest films ever made by one of the greatest directors and starring someone who is kind of universally recognised as the greatest Hollywood star ever (John Huston and Humphrey Bogart respectively).  I honestly can't recommend it enough.  It is the very definition of class cinema.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It is quite literally and without the slightest hint of hyperbole one of the greatest films ever made by one of the greatest directors and starring someone who is kind of universally recognised as the greatest Hollywood star ever (John Huston and Humphrey Bogart respectively).  I honestly can't recommend it enough.  It is the very definition of class cinema.

that and Patton were my dad's favorite movies :)

"Allied" with Brad Pitt................I thought it was an excellent WWII spy movie and recommend it for a well done period piece...I would give it a 8/10.

Star Wars Rogue One........Watched this with my kids and while I am not a Star Wars geek I have seen all the movies and did enjoy this as it tied up some loose ends and explained some things for the original Star Wars movie Episode 4. another 8/10

Edited by classicrawker

I have been rewatching all the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movies and while they are a bit corny at times I love the scenes of San Francisco in the 70's and 80's which is my favorite city in the world.

I forgot Guns N Roses appeared in "The Dead Pool" in several scenes. The movie was made in 1988 just as they were breaking big

Edited by classicrawker

On 3/25/2017 at 0:36 PM, Len Cnut said:

Bogart, Henry Fonda, Katherine Hepburn, Liz Taylor, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Bette Davis, Cagney...I just love that stuff and there's a wealth of it out there and it's just so precious a lot of it, then you have the more forgotten ones like George Raft or Paul Muni or John Garfield,

not only was John Garfield one of my favorite actors he was in two movies based on two of my favorite authors...Tortilla Flat ( Steinbeck ) and The Sea Wolf ( Jack London. ) and dying so young...39..was so tragic :cry:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 4:58 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Glad you enjoyed it too. I had fairly low expectations going in but was pleasantly surprised. 

i was invited to catch it at the theater and i blew it off thinking it was a family movie.

was shocked when i finally saw what it was about :lol: 

^^^Yeah I liked Zero too, good flick.

Carlito's Way. Not Scarface classic but still classic. Brian DePalma has made some good ass movies.

Carlito's Way: Rise to Power. Who thought it was a good idea to make a prequel where someone has to play a young Pacino who absolutely owned the role in the original. Generic story too. Just watch Carlito's Way and skip this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wasted said:

De Palma's Body Double is under rated. Also recently Femme Fatale was kind of interesting. Then obviously Casualties of War. Blow Out is a classic. He did Carrie too I think. 

Femme Fatale surprised me, I liked it. Yeah he did Carrie. The Untouchables is a classic too, "I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go in the middle of the night and piss on the ash!"

Ever seen Raising Cain? With John Lithgow, kind of an overlooked one of his but worth a watch.

I want to check out The Black Dahlia for a more recent one, it looked pretty good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J Dog said:

Femme Fatale surprised me, I liked it. Yeah he did Carrie. The Untouchables is a classic too, "I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go in the middle of the night and piss on the ash!"

Ever seen Raising Cain? With John Lithgow, kind of an overlooked one of his but worth a watch.

I want to check out The Black Dahlia for a more recent one, it looked pretty good.

the book is good too especially if you're into gory real life pics.

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

5 hours ago, J Dog said:

It's good but you feel the Ellroy so it's not as old school as Femme fatale.

I haven't seen Cain or Bonfire of the Vanities. I saw the Untouchables other day it's still great. I think I saw Fury. 

Is Long Goodbye Depalma?

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Didn't see it, but would liked to have seen Life at my local cinema. Unfortunately they're showing Beauty and Beast every 30 minutes from opening to close in half the screens and only showing Life once late at night where it'd be noisy and packed out.

I like seeing films during the day with a limited audience, can't do that.. if Beauty and Beast is on every screen.