"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 4/19/2017 at 11:58 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Point Break

Great low-key yet grandiose cop movie. I liked how the contrast between the peaceful surfing stuff and the action stuff worked.

4.7/5

Did you just see this or was it a rewatch? Point Break is one of those definitive movies if you lived through the early 90's and were a red blooded male. :lol:

On 4/20/2017 at 2:19 AM, Len Cnut said:

'c'mon maaan, don't let them put me in a cage maaaan', fuck, if you'd've fuckin' kidnapped my girl, had me jumping out of planes, set me up for a robbery and kicked seven shades of shit out of me I don't think I'd be in that much of a charitable mood :lol:  

Such a good movie. The Keanu and Busey scenes are classic :lol:

53 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Did you just see this or was it a rewatch? Point Break is one of those definitive movies if you lived through the early 90's and were a red blooded male. :lol:

Such a good movie. The Keanu and Busey scenes are classic :lol:

'i was taking shrapnel in *insert name of place in Vietnam* when you were still crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face!' :lol:  Lets face it, the films fuckin' appalling and it's only retrieved by the action, the actual acting in it is fuckin' dire and not even particularly from Keanu alone, the bird in it is terrible, Patrick Swayze is fuckin' awful...that bit when he walks into the fuckin' party and they're dancing to 'If 6 was 9', it's so cringey it's hard to keep your eyes on the screen :lol:  I mean I really like it as a movie, don't get me wrong...but it is fuckin' awful :lol:

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

'i was taking shrapnel in *insert name of place in Vietnam* when you were still crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face!' :lol:  Lets face it, the films fuckin' appalling and it's only retrieved by the action, the actual acting in it is fuckin' dire and not even particularly from Keanu alone, the bird in it is terrible, Patrick Swayze is fuckin' awful...that bit when he walks into the fuckin' party and they're dancing to 'If 6 was 9', it's so cringey it's hard to keep your eyes on the screen :lol:  I mean I really like it as a movie, don't get me wrong...but it is fuckin' awful :lol:

I mean you have Keanu and Swayze who both have the expressiveness of a mannequin so it just all adds to the charm. :rofl-lol:  The thing about these early to mid 90's action movies is that they didn't really take themselves seriously so you could overlook the bad stuff and just enjoy it as a guilty pleasure. Also, Keanu seems to know his limitations. "I'm with the eff-bee-eye maaan !" :rofl-lol: Swayze on the other hand doesn't fare so well. Will always love the dude for Roadhouse though :lol: 

You know what was great? The Raid. The sequel was even better! 

Edited by RONIN

41 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I mean you have Keanu and Swayze who both have the expressiveness of a mannequin so it just all adds to the charm. :rofl-lol:  The thing about these early to mid 90's action movies is that they didn't really take themselves seriously so you could overlook the bad stuff and just enjoy it as a guilty pleasure. Also, Keanu seems to know his limitations. "I'm with the eff-bee-eye maaan !" :rofl-lol: Swayze on the other hand doesn't fare so well. Will always love the dude for Roadhouse though :lol: 

You know what was great? The Raid. The sequel was even better! 

Yknow my brothers been on at me to watch that for years, is it actually any good?  You'd get on with him cinematically, he likes all the same shit as you, including Miami Vice :lol:

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

First time watch been meaning to see it for a while. I was born in '91

Fuckin' hell, 91, i remember it clearly, Ninja Turtles were huge, rap was starting to get heard in England, those heady halcyon days where nothing mattered but football, films, music and boxing.  Come to think of it, that last bit is a damning assessment of how much I've matured in the last quarter of a century :lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Spinal Tap! :headbang:

You know, that's one of those movies where everybody I meet tells me how much I'm supposed to love it since I'm a musician, but I think it's just "okay" and nothing more. Unfortunately I think it was a  victim of hype - I had heard so much about it before I ever saw it and had these ungodly expectations. Perhaps I should give it another go.

The Girl on the Train

Okay, the first hour or so, I was thinking what was so special about this damn movie.

Then I got to the last 45 minutes to the last hour and when it all came together with lots of surprise twists, I was very impressed.

After I realized how important it was to tell each character's story and how well they kept you guessing until the end. It makes you realize the truth exactly when the characters do. Very good!

One of the best movies I've seen this year.

On 4/21/2017 at 3:22 PM, Len Cnut said:

Yknow my brothers been on at me to watch that for years, is it actually any good?  You'd get on with him cinematically, he likes all the same shit as you, including Miami Vice :lol:

Your brother sounds like a really smart guy Lenny - great taste too! :lol:

Let me ask you this first - what's a good action movie in your opinion? And don't say Bullitt or something from the 70's! :lol: Let's assume modern action movies start with First Blood in 1982 - what are some standouts from the past (1982 -2000) and post 2000's for you?

The raid (to me) is like taking a great Van Damme b-movie concept (bloodsport) and then giving it an A-list Schwarzenegger movie polish and execution. One building filled with thugs - cops have to go in and clear the place floor by floor. Our hero is a gritty martial arts maestro. Cue bone crunching action with style to spare. I didn't love The Raid (the action sometimes goes on forever like Hard Boiled) but I appreciated how well they pulled the whole thing off. It has a lot in common with Dredd (not the Sly Stallone "I am de Lawl" joint). Now the Raid sequel -- well, that my friend goes Terminator 2 on us. Ass kicking to the extreme with a pretty decent story to boot. 

So yes - you should see both Raid and Raid 2, if only to satisfy your curiosity. There's nothing like this out there - the hong kong industry doesn't make action movies this kinetic anymore. Not since the 90's anyway. I think the director is a brit also - all the more reason to check it out and support your countryman! :lol:

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

You know, that's one of those movies where everybody I meet tells me how much I'm supposed to love it since I'm a musician, but I think it's just "okay" and nothing more. Unfortunately I think it was a  victim of hype - I had heard so much about it before I ever saw it and had these ungodly expectations. Perhaps I should give it another go.

i agree you should!!!

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

Your brother sounds like a really smart guy Lenny - great taste too! :lol:

Let me ask you this first - what's a good action movie in your opinion? And don't say Bullitt or something from the 70's! :lol: Let's assume modern action movies start with First Blood in 1982 - what are some standouts from the past (1982 -2000) and post 2000's for you?

The raid (to me) is like taking a great Van Damme b-movie concept (bloodsport) and then giving it an A-list Schwarzenegger movie polish and execution. One building filled with thugs - cops have to go in and clear the place floor by floor. Our hero is a gritty martial arts maestro. Cue bone crunching action with style to spare. I didn't love The Raid (the action sometimes goes on forever like Hard Boiled) but I appreciated how well they pulled the whole thing off. It has a lot in common with Dredd (not the Sly Stallone "I am de Lawl" joint). Now the Raid sequel -- well, that my friend goes Terminator 2 on us. Ass kicking to the extreme with a pretty decent story to boot. 

So yes - you should see both Raid and Raid 2, if only to satisfy your curiosity. There's nothing like this out there - the hong kong industry doesn't make action movies this kinetic anymore. Not since the 90's anyway. I think the director is a brit also - all the more reason to check it out and support your countryman! :lol:

Thing is with action movies, when you say 'good', what are you getting at?  Like an actual good film or just enjoyable action film?  Starting from Rambo I'd say all the Rambos are cracking films, Arnie had a brilliant run throughout the 80s, Preadator is probably a really good example of an action film that is actually quite good cinematically (despite some dodgy acting :lol: ), stuff like Red Heat, Commando, those are good films.  Universal Soldier I suppose is good, the first Terminator is brilliant.  Van Damme is pretty dreadful to be honest, I mean i loved his stuff as a kid but it's bordering on unwatchable at my age.  Then of course you have like your Lethal Weapons, Last Boys Scouts, Die Hards etc  I watched the Taken films recently, they're quite good.  Total Recall, the Arnie one, was quite brilliant.

But honestly the action films of my heart and soul (and believe me I've seen a ridiculous amount of all kinds of action films, as a kid it was sort of my thing) is like Kung Fu films, Bruce Lee and that...getting into the 70s again, aren't I? :lol:

Funny you should mention Raid 2, my brother always said to by pass Raid and go straight to Raid 2.

• Like 1

Universal Soldier is one of the few Van Damme movies I can watch today. Everybody else I can watch just about anytime.

Steven Seagal had a good run with Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, and Out For Justice. Oh and Under Siege.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Thing is with action movies, when you say 'good', what are you getting at?  Like an actual good film or just enjoyable action film?  Starting from Rambo I'd say all the Rambos are cracking films, Arnie had a brilliant run throughout the 80s, Preadator is probably a really good example of an action film that is actually quite good cinematically (despite some dodgy acting :lol: ), stuff like Red Heat, Commando, those are good films.  Universal Soldier I suppose is good, the first Terminator is brilliant.  Van Damme is pretty dreadful to be honest, I mean i loved his stuff as a kid but it's bordering on unwatchable at my age.  Then of course you have like your Lethal Weapons, Last Boys Scouts, Die Hards etc  I watched the Taken films recently, they're quite good.  Total Recall, the Arnie one, was quite brilliant.

But honestly the action films of my heart and soul (and believe me I've seen a ridiculous amount of all kinds of action films, as a kid it was sort of my thing) is like Kung Fu films, Bruce Lee and that...getting into the 70s again, aren't I? :lol:

Funny you should mention Raid 2, my brother always said to by pass Raid and go straight to Raid 2.

Ok first off - wait just a minute here. Don't even act like your heart doesn't skip a beat when you hear the "Kumite" song from Bloodsport. Van Damme's movies are supposed to be bad Lenny - so bad, they're good! :lol:

I mean actual good movies. Like Commando and Demolition Man would be guilty pleasures. Predator and The Bourne Identity for example, would be legit good movies (opinions may vary I suppose). Dude you have great taste in action movies - Last Boy Scout is a classic! Greatest one liner movie ever along with Tango and Cash :heart:

I thought you were an 80's kid -- how did this love for 70's action begin? Are you a Bronson fan by any chance? I did a double billing of Death Wish and The Mechanic recently. Still potent. 

Raid 2 is the better one but they both offer different things. You get a more claustrophobic feel from the first one. Similar to the original Die Hard vs Die Hard 3 for example.

Here's another question - are you even much of an action fan? What type of movies are you into these days?

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

Universal Soldier is one of the few Van Damme movies I can watch today. Everybody else I can watch just about anytime.

Steven Seagal had a good run with Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, and Out For Justice. Oh and Under Siege.

His movies didn't age as well. I still love Time Cop and Double Impact though. :P

It's a shame because Van Damme is a lot more watchable and charismatic than Seagal, but Seagal's movies seem to hold up better, especially that initial run you mentioned. He was good till Under Siege 2 and Executive Decision. 

After that, he had to use stunt doubles for everything because he got fat. :rofl-lol::facepalm:

Edited by RONIN

Ok first off - wait just a minute here. Don't even act like your heart doesn't skip a beat when you hear the "Kumite" song from Bloodsport. Van Damme's movies are supposed to be bad Lenny - so bad, they're good!

Oh definitely, they have that appeal still and i get the whole 'so bad they are good' thing but Van Dammes films struggle to qualify lately.  Kickboxer makes it just about on the strength of his gay looking brother and, perhaps on the greatest movie villians of all time, Tiger Tong Po.  'You bleed like Mai Ling.  Mai Ling gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood fuck' :lol:

I mean actual good movies. Like Commando and Demolition Man would be guilty pleasures. Predator and The Bourne Identity for example, would be legit good movies (opinions may vary I suppose). Dude you have great taste in action movies - Last Boy Scout is a classic! Greatest one liner movie ever along with Tango and Cash :heart:

Nah Demolition Man makes it into the good category i think.  

I thought you were an 80's kid -- how did this love for 70's action begin? Are you a Bronson fan by any chance? I did a double billing of Death Wish and The Mechanic recently. Still potent. 

I have seen just about every film Charles Bronson ever made and thats not an exaggeration.  How did the love for 70s action come from?  I love all kinds of films, films are my thing, i could give you the lowdown on a shitload of different eras/genres in and around Hollywood.  I guess the 70s stuff and westerns is just cuz thats what was on around my house as a lad, with my old man and that.

Here's another question - are you even much of an action fan? What type of movies are you into these days?

Yeah, i love action films.  As I say, all kinds of films, i will watch any old shit really, there's very little that I won't watch cinematically.  The two things i don't like so much are Sci Fi and like...fantasy shit, like goblins and demons and dragons and Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and all that sort of bollocks.
People like Arnie, Sly, Van Damme, I've seen just about all their films...Van Damme i tuned out after Timecop, Arnie after Jingle All the Way...and Sly is still the fuckin' man in my book :lol:  

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

His movies didn't age as well. I still love Time Cop and Double Impact though. :P

It's a shame because Van Damme is a lot more watchable and charismatic than Seagal, but Seagal's movies seem to hold up better, especially that initial run you mentioned. He was good till Under Siege 2 and Executive Decision. 

After that, he had to use stunt doubles for everything because he got fat. :rofl-lol::facepalm:

He got huge! Seagal had a later one that was good too, had one of the Wayans in it. And the one with DMX wasn't too bad.

They all seemed to fall off around the same time. What was the one with Van Damme with long hair and like the bayou french thing going on?

Demolition Man was good. Assassins was good. Wesley and Antonio both played great bad guys.