"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

15 minutes ago, J Dog said:

He got huge! Seagal had a later one that was good too, had one of the Wayans in it. And the one with DMX wasn't too bad.

They all seemed to fall off around the same time. What was the one with Van Damme with long hair and like the bayou french thing going on?

Demolition Man was good. Assassins was good. Wesley and Antonio both played great bad guys.

Oh nice - I forgot those. The one with Wayans was Glimmer Man. The DMX one, Exit Wounds, was solid also -- maybe his last good one. He can't do any of his own stunts anymore though - I think he uses a stuntman even for brisk walking scenes (not kidding). :o

You're thinking Hard Target directed by John Woo (Face/Off). Classic one :lol: Wesley and Antonio are pretty underrated if you ask me. Desperado is one of my all-time favorite action movies. 

Late 90's was all about the new generation of action films where Cage, Travolta, and Keanu were legit action stars. And then Bourne changed the whole game. I remember seeing Schwarzenegger's "Collateral Damage"  soon after 9/11 to a near empty theater on opening night. Nobody wanted that kind of action movie star anymore. I don't know if you've seen Arnold's recent movies but it's just sad man. Love the guy but I sat in an empty theater for the one he did with Sly, "Escape Plan". I guess the audience that wants this stuff have replaced Arnold and Sly with Vin Diesel and The Rock. Statham is the Bruce Willis replacement.

On a side note, there was this great cult movie that Nick Cage did where he escapes from hell, I think it's called "Drive Angry". Have you seen it? Total cult-ish guilty pleasure movie. Saw it in an empty theater opening night - I remember the ticketing agent in the booth giving me this weird look when I asked to see a Nick Cage movie. :lol:

Edited by RONIN

In fairness to Van Damage, Kickboxer and Bloodsport are probably the best two American martial arts orientated actioners that do not happen to be called Enter the Dragon - that is, if you consider Enter the Dragon to be American as Golden Harvest were co-producers and its star was Hong Kong. Most martial arts that came out of America were comically bad but those two from Van Damme stood out in a sea of shit. In general though, you stick any American action film up against what was coming out of Hong Kong and there is no comparisonl what Bruce, Jackie, Sammo, John Wood, Tsiu Hawk et al were doing was infinitely superior to your Seagals and Arnies films. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Oh nice - I forgot those. The one with Wayans was Glimmer Man. The DMX one, Exit Wounds, was solid also -- maybe his last good one. He can't do any of his own stunts anymore though - I think he uses a stuntman even for brisk walking scenes (not kidding). :o

You're thinking Hard Target directed by John Woo (Face/Off). Classic one :lol: Wesley and Antonio are pretty underrated if you ask me. Desperado is one of my all-time favorite action movies. 

Late 90's was all about the new generation of action films where Cage, Travolta, and Keanu were legit action stars. And then Bourne changed the whole game. I remember seeing Schwarzenegger's "Collateral Damage"  soon after 9/11 to a near empty theater on opening night. Nobody wanted that kind of action movie star anymore. I don't know if you've seen Arnold's recent movies but it's just sad man. Love the guy but I sat in an empty theater for the one he did with Sly, "Escape Plan". I guess the audience that wants this stuff have replaced Arnold and Sly with Vin Diesel and The Rock. Statham is the Bruce Willis replacement.

On a side note, there was this great cult movie that Nick Cage did where he escapes from hell, I think it's called "Drive Angry". Have you seen it? Total cult-ish guilty pleasure movie. Saw it in an empty theater opening night - I remember the ticketing agent in the booth giving me this weird look when I asked to see a Nick Cage movie. :lol:

Hard Target, yeah, that one was class!  Face Off was pretty good too, with John Travolta and Nick Cage

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Hard Target, yeah, that one was class!  Face Off was pretty good too, with John Travolta and Nick Cage

It had a big arrowhead with Van Dammes face in the middle. That one was cool, out in the swamp. Lionheart was a personal favorite.

Face Off was really good. Broken Arrow was good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J Dog said:

It had a big arrowhead with Van Dammes face in the middle. That one was cool, out in the swamp. Lionheart was a personal favorite.

Face Off was really good. Broken Arrow was good.

I think Lionheart was called something else here, i think AWOL?

17 hours ago, Jane M. said:

The Boss (Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Bell and Peter Dinklage). 

It's ok, you'll laugh.

Loved The Boss. There was some crazy shit in this movie. And yes I did laugh.

The Spy with Melissa and Jason Statham is so damn funny too.

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

Universal Soldier is one of the few Van Damme movies I can watch today. Everybody else I can watch just about anytime.

Steven Seagal had a good run with Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, and Out For Justice. Oh and Under Siege.

Yeah, I agree. Steven was funny in Machete. The guy can't get his leg up high enough to kick you above your ankle anymore.

did anyone catch when Steven was a sheriff for awhile and had his own show. Weird

13 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I agree. Steven was funny in Machete. The guy can't get his leg up high enough to kick you above your ankle anymore.

did anyone catch when Steven was a sheriff for awhile and had his own show. Weird

Yeah. It was like COPS :lol:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The two things i don't like so much are Sci Fi and like...fantasy shit, like goblins and demons and dragons and Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and all that sort of bollocks.

oh God yes , those films are CRAP IMO! 

for a kind of sorta action move i like The Last Dragon, for some reason...cheesy as heck i know! :lol:

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I always quite liked Joshua Tree with Dolph Lundgren, anyone remember that film?  

On topic:

Anzio (1968) - Robert Mitchum, Peter Falk

Would that be Army of One? With the red car? Probably one of his best. Red Scorpion was good. Showdown in Little Tokyo with Brandon Lee was ok. The Punisher.

I always liked Dolph, loved him in Universal Soldier, but he had the toughest life out the bunch as far as cheap, straight to video films go.

57 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Would that be Army of One? With the red car? Probably one of his best. Red Scorpion was good. Showdown in Little Tokyo with Brandon Lee was ok. The Punisher.

I always liked Dolph, loved him in Universal Soldier, but he had the toughest life out the bunch as far as cheap, straight to video films go.

Yeah i think its called Army of One in America.  Brandon was great, i loved Brandon, the better the production value of his movies got the better he got, Rapid Fire was probably my favourite film of his.

Universal Soldier was Dolphs defining film to me..

'hey you should check your driver, he dont look too hot!'

'hes a fuckin' gook traitor!'

:lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Crow is a good film but crikey, watching it back today and it is inundated in mid-'90s numetal/industrial.

Oddly enough i never watched that, something about the idea of it having a CGI Brandon in it put me off.  Seen the rest though, Legacy of Rage, Soldier of Fortune, Showdown in Little Tokyo, Rapid Fire.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oddly enough i never watched that, something about the idea of it having a CGI Brandon in it put me off.  Seen the rest though, Legacy of Rage, Soldier of Fortune, Showdown in Little Tokyo, Rapid Fire.

It is only a few scenes! It is not exactly Game of Death!

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah i think its called Army of One in America.  Brandon was great, i loved Brandon, the better the production value of his movies got the better he got, Rapid Fire was probably my favourite film of his.

Universal Soldier was Dolphs defining film to me..

'hey you should check your driver, he dont look too hot!'

'hes a fuckin' gook traitor!'

:lol:

He was sick in Univeral Soldier, he did a good job with that. He has all kinds of lines like that, one time he hold up his necklace and says something like I'm all ears :lol:

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is only a few scenes! It is not exactly Game of Death!

Yeah it's not much. I love The Crow, diffferent, good movie. Looks good too, it has a feel.

Let's see here. In the past week or so I've rewatched Fast & Furious 5, 6, and 7 (having been put in the mood after watching the new one).

I also continued my Cary Grant marathon with Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) - popular with fans at release but fairly mediocre. Many biographers and film critics have noted that after Notorious, Cary Grant went through a brief period of doing a bunch of "play it safe" films due to burnout. This one definitely qualifies. Very uninspired.

So of course I had to follow that up with North By Northwest (1959) - my favorite film of all time (a contender, anyways).

On 4/24/2017 at 11:05 AM, DieselDaisy said:

In fairness to Van Damage, Kickboxer and Bloodsport are probably the best two American martial arts orientated actioners that do not happen to be called Enter the Dragon - that is, if you consider Enter the Dragon to be American as Golden Harvest were co-producers and its star was Hong Kong. Most martial arts that came out of America were comically bad but those two from Van Damme stood out in a sea of shit. In general though, you stick any American action film up against what was coming out of Hong Kong and there is no comparisonl what Bruce, Jackie, Sammo, John Wood, Tsiu Hawk et al were doing was infinitely superior to your Seagals and Arnies films. 

Agreed. Kickboxer is super cheesy but I feel like Bloodsport, despite all the 80's cheese, still holds up as a classic martial arts action flick. The villain of that movie, Chong Li aka Bolo Yeung is hilariously awesome. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

jean-claude-van-damme-gifs-1.gif?w=750

Edited by RONIN

On 4/25/2017 at 6:51 AM, Len Cnut said:

Showdown in Little Tokyo was class. Every movie that took place in Japan back in the 80's and early 90's had a scene with a yakuza boss eating sushi off a naked woman :lol:

Related image

Image result for showdown in little tokyo gif

758ef72d8df96b73cebe0bc644463202.jpg

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. Kickboxer is super cheesy but I feel like Bloodsport, despite all the 80's cheese, still holds up as a classic martial arts action flick. The villain of that movie, Chong Li aka Bolo Yeung is hilariously awesome. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

jean-claude-van-damme-gifs-1.gif?w=750

Bolo is in Enter the Dragon of course. He actually started out at Shaw Brothers; I think you can see him in The Heroic Ones.