"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Just watched The Kingsman on Netflix. It starts out fine, but then gets really weird. Tarantino levels of violence without any of the plotlines worthy of caring about. Also there's a weird bit where a Swedish princess offers this lad anal, in exchange for him saving the world. 

When I was in the States, I caught a trailer for the sequel. So it appears that Colin Firth doesn't really die in the first film. 

• Like 1

A Summer Place 1959 Troy Donahue Sandra Dee Dorothy McGuire Richard Egan  very weird movie. lower class man comes back to the island he worked on during his youth  to show he has made it in the world. turns out he was in love with the wife of the rich guy ( now almost broke from his constant drinking . ) and they had an affair. they rekindle their affair while their kids fall in love. i think Troy Donahue said it best..."What I did basically was knock up Gidget, and you just don't do that!"

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Saw it when it came out, i think it's fantastic to be honest.  As in just brilliant.  And was worried it wouldn't be.  It's out there on torrent sites now.

Lived up to the original for me, I was very worried as well but they did a great job with it. Robert Carlyle is absolutely immense. Really brought back great memories of seeing the first one when I was younger. Danny Boyle is just amazing, really.

9 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Not exactly something you think needs a sequel eh? Cool, I'll check it out then.

I have an immense affection for the first film, watched it a thousand times as a kid when it came out and 20 years later its easy to identify thematically with so much of it so perhaps it resonates more in that sense but its also a very good film as a standalone thing, i think my intense familiarity with the first one probably has a lot to do with it all though.

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

Lived up to the original for me, I was very worried as well but they did a great job with it. Robert Carlyle is absolutely immense. Really brought back great memories of seeing the first one when I was younger. Danny Boyle is just amazing, really.

I dunno about lived up, I guess so in the sense that its a worthy sequel, i just dont think they bear comparison because they are trying to do different things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno about lived up, I guess so in the sense that its a worthy sequel, i just dont think they bear comparison because they are trying to do different things.

I should have maybe have said it didn't detract from the original, which I, and I think many others, feared it might. I agree it's a very different film, they're all middle aged for a start. I just think it played on that whole thing really well, the people who saw the original anywhere between their teens to mid-twenties KNOW what it meant, it defined a generation in Britain, pop culture etc. Now we're all getting old and it's fucking shit. Spud's story in it was very moving as well, he sort of became the main character, I teared up a few times watching it. Just those little moments that transported you back to Trainspotting as well, the little stabs of Born Slippy and Lust For Life brought back some amazing feelings/memories. It was really well done, I thought, it stood up well to the first one.

• Like 1

Get Out

Not a horror, but definitely has a creepy factor. I found it almost cheesy in a way, but i think it was intentional, like it was paying homage to earlier films along this same kind of genre :shrugs:

...until a certain point..Chris the main character is BAD ASS. 

4 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Get Out

Not a horror, but definitely has a creepy factor. I found it almost cheesy in a way, but i think it was intentional, like it was paying homage to earlier films along this same kind of genre :shrugs:

...until a certain point..Chris the main character is BAD ASS. 

That movie was for sure creepy as hell! What a crazy ass family!!! I liked it.....

• Like 1