"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 3/10/2017 at 9:50 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Kong: Skull Island - 4/5

Whether you saw and/or liked or disliked Godzilla (2014), most people can see Kong and enjoy the hell out of it. I like Godzilla, but it is plagued by unlikable (or unnecessary) characters for the most part, and severe lack of Godzilla screen-time. Kong fixes that by having characters that are actually mildly likeable, all the while giving you the near-perfect amount of Kong time without overdoing it. It's a two-hour, monster destruction-filled ride that once it takes off, doesn't let up. And of course, it sets the course up nicely for the future movies in Legendary's "Monster-Verse".

I felt the opposite. Every scene with the human characters apart from John C Reilly was torture to sit through for me, made the human scenes in the 2014 Godzilla look masterful in comparison. Such a waste of Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, and John Goodman, all great actors given nothing to work with. The monster action was cool, but I wouldn't see it again, the perfunctory and expository dialogue was painful.

Watched Logan straight after and loved it, a film with actual characters to care about and earned emotional investment.

13 hours ago, Amir said:

I felt the opposite. Every scene with the human characters apart from John C Reilly was torture to sit through for me, made the human scenes in the 2014 Godzilla look masterful in comparison. Such a waste of Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, and John Goodman, all great actors given nothing to work with. The monster action was cool, but I wouldn't see it again, the perfunctory and expository dialogue was painful.

I guess to me, compared to Aaron Taylor Johnson in Godzilla, almost anyone was "likable" in Kong. It's draining when he's on the screen, but I didn't get that feeling from anyone in Kong.

I agree the actors weren't given the best opportunity to develop their characters, but no one is truly too worried about the human characters for these movies. But they have to put someone well-known in these or else they'll never make it off the ground.

Smash Cut (2009)

Smash_Cut__2009.jpg

Frustrated with his most recent film doing poorly, film director Able Whitman finds himself at a strip club where he meets and takes home one of the strippers, Gigi Stops. They have an accident on the road which kills Gigi leaving Able to figure out what to do with the body. He conveniently decides to “disguise” the body parts as set pieces to his new horror film. When this new design style is met with much praise, Able decides he needs more parts to fulfill his new “project”.

This is a slasher-gore comedy that has some homage to 70's exploitation films. A kinda cheezy but enjoyable little flick.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Call me crazy, but I've always preferred Temple of Doom - probably just because it's the first one I ever saw. I love the darker tone and themes. Raiders is the better film, but I get more enjoyment out of Temple.

ok seen this before but in all honesty i was pretty wasted :lol:so last night it was like watching it for the first time.

Straight Outta Compton '17 O'Shea Jackson Jr ( who played his daddy Ice Cube and was fantastic ) Corey Hawkins and my man Jason Mitchell who did an outstanding job of playing Eazy E aka Eric Wright. this movie taught me soooo much. it was so intriguing, so gritty., so painful at times and very eye opening. there was even a teeny little clip of Tupac played by Marcc Rose doing some California Love *swoon*.... GREAT flick! 5/5 perfection ;)

Maggie (2015)

Great ideas that go nowhere thanks to horrible pacing and mediocre direction. The film only really starts gaining momentum towards the end but by then it has no time to develop anything further before it ends. Arnold's performance is excellent though. Good chemistry with Abigail Breslin (and a great performance on her part) made it a good watch despite the flaws.

10 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

like i said somewhere before on the forum, i love love love this movie! it hits on all cylinders ;) 5/5 #TeamTimandDawn  definite must see Christmas movie :P

I din't know some one would like it so much lol

it was just above average for me 

2 hours ago, Słash said:

I din't know some one would like it so much lol

it was just above average for me 

i'm a chick...the Tim and Dawn finally getting together did it for me *swoon* plus after having been subjected to Steve Carell in the part ( Michael Scott ) that was played so fantastically by Ricky Gervais  (  David Brent  ) in the UK original it was just MILES better! the US version had it's moments but they could have trimmed it down a LOT. Michael Scott acted like a baby in a suit. at least Gervais was FUNNY imo not just whiny and throwing fits like Carrell played it :facepalm: PLUS the music rocked! :P