"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

11 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

why thank you! :P Ewan MacGregor was hot as well ;)

Oh I just love him...so cute! 

13 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The Other Guys

"...you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'? Yep, aim for the bushes?" :lol:

5/5

Lol...I just watched that too. Never gets old!!! :lol:

21 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I'm trying to think of an American movie that's comparable to Trainspotting and I'm struggling tbh. It's VERY British. I'm not surprised if it doesn't really translate that well across the pond. Imagine them trying to get their heads around the jock accents.... especially Spud? :lol:

Goodfellas? I think Boyle and then Guy Ritchie just copied Scorsese. 

But Drugstore Cowboy and Basketball Diaries was an influence too. Bond movies too. It's like American culture inverted to sell heroin to British kids. They want us immoral people. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 3:44 AM, DieselDaisy said:

And the toilet scene, and dodgy boozers with Begbie glassing you?

thank you!

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Frogs and Voodoo with Boris Karloff.

I love those 50, 60 and 70 horror movies.

I love Frogs because Sam Elliot is the star in it and I've always liked him. Love how the animals get back at the stupid humans who are destroying their world. Even though it was a horror movie, it still had a very good message.

oh how much i agree with this!

okay watched American Hustle for like the millionth time. such a great move IMO!

then cos it's 102 degrees here and has been hotter than hell for days with no end in sight i just lethargically started watching a Nicholas Sparks movie from a book he wrote ( which are basically about all the same ) called The Longest Ride and i immediately saw Scott Eastwood in it and i was all whoa! he looks soooo much like his dad. he should do some movies along the lines of what is dad did, i think he'd be great :)

On 24/06/2017 at 3:03 PM, bucketfoot said:

I'm trying to think of an American movie that's comparable to Trainspotting and I'm struggling tbh. 

You mean in terms of being grim?  The Panic in Needle Park probably exceeds it.  In fact definitely exceeds it.  Or for a more modern one Reqiuem for a Dream, you should check em out if you haven't already.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

You mean in terms of being grim?  The Panic in Needle Park probably exceeds it.  In fact definitely exceeds it.  Or for a more modern one Reqiuem for a Dream, you should check em out if you haven't already.

Last Exit to Brooklyn I remember as being grim in America. Bad Lieutenant I think of as being like that. 

I don't think of Trainspotting as grim, there's too much comedy. Nil By Mouth, now that's not a party.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Just the general tone of it, mixing the grim subject matter with proper laugh out loud comedy and capers and also being massively uplifting, it's pretty unique what it does. Requiem for a Dream was just pure bleakness really, a brilliant and very powerful film no doubt but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I haven't seen Panic in Needle Park but I'll check it out. I suppose something like 'Spun' tried to do a similar kind of thing although it's nowhere near the level of Trainspotting, obviously.

On 25/06/2017 at 0:26 PM, wasted said:

Goodfellas? I think Boyle and then Guy Ritchie just copied Scorsese. 

But Drugstore Cowboy and Basketball Diaries was an influence too. Bond movies too. It's like American culture inverted to sell heroin to British kids. They want us immoral people. 

I see what you mean about Goodfellas in that it mixes bleak subject matter with moments that have you laughing your head off but if you take Joe Pesci's Tommy out of it, you basically have a straight, serious gangster movie, I'd say 95% of the laughs are centred around him, he's almost the light relief which is something given that he's so psychotic. I saw Drugstore Cowboy when I was younger and although I can't remember too much of it, I remember I enjoyed it, I'll have to rewatch.  Haven't seen Basketball Diaries, I'll give that a watch as well. As I say, I think 'Spun' had a bit of a Trainspotting vibe about it.

I have to disagree about Danny Boyle though, he's far too talented to be accused of copying anyone, he's one of the best directors currently working in film imo. His range of stuff is really good as well if you think of things like Slumdog, 28 Days Later, Sunshine and 127 hours. He's had a couple of missteps like The Beach and A Life Less Ordinary but even they were decent/entertaining. I don't rate Guy Ritchie anywhere near Danny Boyle, I did really enjoy Snatch (much more than Lock, Stock) and his Sherlock Holmes movies were good. He's also done some complete and utter shite like Swept Away and Revolver.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I don't think of Trainspotting as grim, there's too much comedy.

Agree with this, overall it's uplifting and feelgood.

4 hours ago, wasted said:

Last Exit to Brooklyn I remember as being grim in America. Bad Lieutenant I think of as being like that. 

I don't think of Trainspotting as grim, there's too much comedy. Nil By Mouth, now that's not a party.  

Nil By Mouth is fuckin' dirty.  Mean Streets and Taxi Driver fit the ticket too really.  That overall tone of unpleasantness.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Just the general tone of it, mixing the grim subject matter with proper laugh out loud comedy and capers and also being massively uplifting, it's pretty unique what it does. Requiem for a Dream was just pure bleakness really, a brilliant and very powerful film no doubt but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I haven't seen Panic in Needle Park but I'll check it out. I suppose something like 'Spun' tried to do a similar kind of thing although it's nowhere near the level of Trainspotting, obviously.

I see what you mean about Goodfellas in that it mixes bleak subject matter with moments that have you laughing your head off but if you take Joe Pesci's Tommy out of it, you basically have a straight, serious gangster movie, I'd say 95% of the laughs are centred around him, he's almost the light relief which is something given that he's so psychotic. I saw Drugstore Cowboy when I was younger and although I can't remember too much of it, I remember I enjoyed it, I'll have to rewatch.  Haven't seen Basketball Diaries, I'll give that a watch as well. As I say, I think 'Spun' had a bit of a Trainspotting vibe about it.

I have to disagree about Danny Boyle though, he's far too talented to be accused of copying anyone, he's one of the best directors currently working in film imo. His range of stuff is really good as well if you think of things like Slumdog, 28 Days Later, Sunshine and 127 hours. He's had a couple of missteps like The Beach and A Life Less Ordinary but even they were decent/entertaining. I don't rate Guy Ritchie anywhere near Danny Boyle, I did really enjoy Snatch (much more than Lock, Stock) and his Sherlock Holmes movies were good. He's also done some complete and utter shite like Swept Away and Revolver.

Agree with this, overall it's uplifting and feelgood.

I think copied is bit loose but there's this window that opened up in the UK for a Scorsese/Tarantino and they filled that role. They are coming from similar influences. Even Shallow Grave has something of an American influence. Scosese has a spread of movies like Boyle too. Slumdog is his King of Comedy. He can do 127 Hours then comeback and do his Departed, T2. 

And then Simon Pegg is like the british stoner comedy director. 

I think there's a lot of Americanization and influence from Hollywood. They are probably working through the hollywood system too. They quickly get sucked into the machine. 

Can't think of any british movies, thing like Four Weddings and Bridget Jones, then Naked on the other end of the spectrum. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think copied is bit loose but there's this window that opened up in the UK for a Scorsese/Tarantino and they filled that role. They are coming from similar influences. Even Shallow Grave has something of an American influence. Scosese has a spread of movies like Boyle too. Slumdog is his King of Comedy. He can do 127 Hours then comeback and do his Departed, T2. 

I think there's a lot of Americanization and influence from Hollywood. They are probably working through the hollywood system too. They quickly get sucked into the machine. 

Can't think of any british movies, thing like Four Weddings and Bridget Jones, then Naked on the other end of the spectrum. 

I agree that he'll have been influenced by Scorsese to an extent, definitely. I mean Scorsese will have had some influence on virtually every serious director of the last 30-40 years, I guess it's that thing of at what point does influence spill over into plagiarism? I also agree with your earlier point that Tarantino/Pulp Fiction paved the way for a lot of directors as well, movies started to become hip again around that time and there's no doubt Boyle will have been influenced by him to an extent as well. I just think Danny deserves to be mentioned alongside those kind of names now because his stuff has been pretty consistently great.

23 minutes ago, wasted said:

You mean Edgar Wright?

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I agree that he'll have been influenced by Scorsese to an extent, definitely. I mean Scorsese will have had some influence on virtually every serious director of the last 30-40 years, I guess it's that thing of at what point does influence spill over into plagiarism? I also agree with your earlier point that Tarantino/Pulp Fiction paved the way for a lot of directors as well, movies started to become hip again around that time and there's no doubt Boyle will have been influenced by him to an extent as well. I just think Danny deserves to be mentioned alongside those kind of names now because his stuff has been pretty consistently great.

You mean Edgar Wright?

Plaigarism no but this violence/comedy is a good place to start for a director. It's more about the audience maybe, there was Scorsese, then Tarantino, so I was ready for Trainspotting, and the industry was open to making it. I just don't think Boyle invented that style of movie. Even Oliver Stone was doing pulp crime stories with NBK after Tarantino, studios were giving the green light. So I wonder how much that played in Trainspotting. The fact that there was this new market after Tarantino might have oiled the wheels. I mean Sick Boy quoting Bond movies is just so Tarantino. I didn't even question the influence of Reservoir Dogs. The pop culture references, the characters and dialogue just seemed directly inspired from Tarantino. How the book is presented in the film is much more Tarantinoesque than the book. The book is a little less playful and more harrowing. You dwell more on the death of Tommy, you are more aware of the shithole and scumminess. Trainspotting the movie is lad-ed up and brings the witty doalogue and set pieces up. It's all more of a rush and in the movie bubble. Which I think was invented by Goodfellas. Here's these scary guys who are complete sociopaths, but they are also funny. To the ectent that the main point of Scorsese's movie that kids are born into being gangsters kind of gets overlooked for certain funny scenes. Trainspotting has a nihilistic pov but it's really all the dialogue and banter that gets the attention. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Plaigarism no but this violence/comedy is a good place to start for a director. It's more about the audience maybe, there was Scorsese, then Tarantino, so I was ready for Trainspotting, and the industry was open to making it. I just don't think Boyle invented that style of movie. Even Oliver Stone was doing pulp crime stories with NBK after Tarantino, studios were giving the green light. So I wonder how much that played in Trainspotting. The fact that there was this new market after Tarantino might have oiled the wheels. I mean Sick Boy quoting Bond movies is just so Tarantino. I didn't even question the influence of Reservoir Dogs. The pop culture references, the characters and dialogue just seemed directly inspired from Tarantino. How the book is presented in the film is much more Tarantinoesque than the book. The book is a little less playful and more harrowing. You dwell more on the death of Tommy, you are more aware of the shithole and scumminess. Trainspotting the movie is lad-ed up and brings the witty doalogue and set pieces up. It's all more of a rush and in the movie bubble. Which I think was invented by Goodfellas. Here's these scary guys who are complete sociopaths, but they are also funny. To the ectent that the main point of Scorsese's movie that kids are born into being gangsters kind of gets overlooked for certain funny scenes. Trainspotting has a nihilistic pov but it's really all the dialogue and banter that gets the attention. 

Great points. Yeah, Trainspotting was definitely aimed with one eye on the lad-mag market in the UK. I remember it being promoted very heavily in those kinds of magazines during that era. They knew they could tap into that market and find an audience for it. Also, the movie and music magazines really pushed it, that iconic poster was everywhere, it had the cool soundtrack. It became this thing that you had to see if you were of a certain age.

10 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Great points. Yeah, Trainspotting was definitely aimed with one eye on the lad-mag market in the UK. I remember it being promoted very heavily in those kinds of magazines during that era. They knew they could tap into that market and find an audience for it. Also, the movie and music magazines really pushed it, that iconic poster was everywhere, it had the cool soundtrack. It became this thing that you had to see if you were of a certain age.

I havent seen the first one for a while but I remember the one liners and certain scenes and the trailer and the posters. For it had that Pulp Fiction marketing. I see some paralells between them and Scorsese but havent really scene by scene checked it. But the stop frames are Scosese. The gritty situations off set by amusing or irreverent humor is kind of a common. I feel like Boyle knew what he was doing in a good way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

John Wick 2

It's probably better than the first, but I like the first better - if that makes any sense.

1st one was easily the better movie for me. 2nd was just a rehash where they ramped the action up even further and it lost a bit of the impact of the 1st. Still enjoyed it though.

Edited by bucketfoot

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok i have John Wick on my DVR, i want to see it before i see 2 but does his dog really die??? :( 

Yeah but don't worry, he gets sweet revenge. ;)

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

1st one was easily the better movie for me. 2nd was just a rehash where they ramped the action up even further and it lost a bit of the impact of the 1st. Still enjoyed it though.

Yeah I liked it a lot and from a technical perspective it was perhaps even better, but you summed it up nicely - not as impactful.

• Like 1