"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is still too much for me :(

i can't watch anything or read any book that has animal death, unless it's an old dog,cat, horse whatever and it passes peacefully. 

It's hard to watch, but the way it's handled is part of what makes the film so effective. We don't even know who or what John Wick is at that point but immediately we're on his side. There's more to it than that but obviously I don't want to spoil the film!

Give it a chance. The payoff is beyond satisfying. Easily one of the best action films ever made.

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

It's hard to watch, but the way it's handled is part of what makes the film so effective. We don't even know who or what John Wick is at that point but immediately we're on his side. There's more to it than that but obviously I don't want to spoil the film!

Give it a chance. The payoff is beyond satisfying. Easily one of the best action films ever made.

i probably will, but i may ff past the poor doggy death part. is it vital to actually see that to understand the movie? 

23 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i probably will, but i may ff past the poor doggy death part. is it vital to actually see that to understand the movie? 

It's the catalyst for the film but you could theoretically skip through the actual death as long as you pay attention to the character(s) responsible.

• Like 1

Nazi propaganda film about Herbert ''Quex'' Norkus (name changed in film), Hitler Youth who was murdered by Communist youths subsequently becoming a ''Nazi martyr''.

Good in a sentimental manner - the Nazis knew how to push all of our buttons pertaining to sentiment. There are some interesting nuances in it pertaining to the working class, as the Nazis at the time wanted to eradicate class while drawing in communist support; the father, a communist, is not portrayed unsympathetically in a latter scene. The film demonstrates a communism preying upon the sympathies of an exploited class (exploited due to capitalism and the moribund politics of the Weimer era).

Like much propaganda however it rather backfires, as the communist youth are depicted as oversexed beer drinking layabouts, somewhat similar to 1950s's American teenagers in something like Rebel Without A Cause, while the Hitler Youth are depicted as humourless goody two shoe boy scouts (which, to an extent, they were, that is if you leave out the racial indoctrination and Fuhrer worship!); you end up consequentially enjoying, and feeling facetiously sympathetic for the communist youth (I'm sure this wasn't lost on audiences in 1933 but was probably a bit of a secret joke, Hitler having just assumed power).

Ironically, the young star - a poster boy for the Hitler Youth movement - later ended up in a concentration camp for homosexuality!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nazi propaganda film about Herbert ''Quex'' Norkus (name changed in film), Hitler Youth who was murdered by Communist youths subsequently becoming a ''Nazi martyr''.

Good in a sentimental manner - the Nazis knew how to push all of our buttons pertaining to sentiment. There are some interesting nuances in it pertaining to the working class, as the Nazis at the time wanted to eradicate class while drawing in communist support; the father, a communist, is not portrayed unsympathetically in a latter scene. The film demonstrates a communism preying upon the sympathies of an exploited class (exploited due to capitalism and the moribund politics of the Weimer era).

Like much propaganda however it rather backfires, as the communist youth are depicted as oversexed beer drinking layabouts, somewhat similar to 1950s's American teenagers in something like Rebel Without A Cause, while the Hitler Youth are depicted as humourless goody two shoe boy scouts (which, to an extent, they were, that is if you leave out the racial indoctrination and Fuhrer worship!); you end up consequentially enjoying, and feeling facetiously sympathetic for the communist youth (I'm sure this wasn't lost on audiences in 1933 but was probably a bit of a secret joke, Hitler having just assumed power).

Ironically, the young star - a poster boy for the Hitler Youth movement - later ended up in a concentration camp for homosexuality!

this sounds absolutely fascinating.

12 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Parker (2013) B

Homefront (2013) A+

I've been in a Jason Statham mood lately. 

he's pretty darn sexy ;)

The King's Speech 2010 Colin Firth Helena Bonham Carter this was pretty good! i kind of expected it to be boring but i should have known better....Colin Firth! i have this dang Starz for six months so i am getting my money's worth :P good flick though really. 8.5/10 :)

• Like 1

Misery 1990 James Caan Kathy Bates.  having read the Stephen King novel i was not expecting a lot because for me the movies based on books i have read are usually lacking. but i love this movie. it is very close to the book. i love both. Kathy Bates is so amazing and James Caan is very good. Misery Chastain is one of the best character names ever IMO! 9.2/10 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Misery 1990 James Caan Kathy Bates.  having read the Stephen King novel i was not expecting a lot because for me the movies based on books i have read are usually lacking. but i love this movie. it is very close to the book. i love both. Kathy Bates is so amazing and James Caan is very good. Misery Chastain is one of the best character names ever IMO! 9.2/10 

The movie was awesome! I remember reading Misery and hating that SK had also put the book chapters that the main character was writing about. I felt it was too much. Sometimes SK goes overboard with his telling of a story. Same with IT, too much info about the past. I skipped a lot of that part and just read about the kids and then the adults.

I think that's why I pretty much stoped reading his books, although I did read "Cell" and it was actually very good. As long as SK stays on the storyline he's good, when he goes off the rails, I lose interest fast.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Man on Fire

5/5

Awesome movie with Denzel. He's one of my all time favorite actor. Did you see the new Magnificent Seven. It was very good. Denzel was so bad ass!

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:36 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

he's pretty darn sexy ;)

The King's Speech 2010 Colin Firth Helena Bonham Carter this was pretty good! i kind of expected it to be boring but i should have known better....Colin Firth! i have this dang Starz for six months so i am getting my money's worth :P good flick though really. 8.5/10 :)

Jason is very sexy. Love him. I remember seeing the Transporter 1 and didn't know who he was, but was hooked. Loved him in all of his movies. The Expendables movies were awesome with him and Sly.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this one on Netflix, but my girlfriend thought it was a load of shite - which seems to mirror the reviews I've read online. You'll either love it or hate it :) If you like movies which make you ask questions about your own purpose in life then you'll probably dig it.

The Sword and the Sorcerer it's a 1983 movie with Lee Horsley. Sort of like Conan. Lots of fighting and witches and evil kings. Something light you don't have to think about while you're watching it.

17 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Colombiana (2011) A

Zoe Saldana does a great job.

I'm pretty sure I saw that movie and yeah Zoe kicked ass.