GNR MTV 1992 - Novermber Rain

I'd like to revisit this particular performance. In your opinion, what happen here? Was it solely an Axl Rose production?

Elton John - what does he do here musically? I understand why he was there, kinda..

Red not Michael Jackson coat - did Axl ever wear this again?

Stage setup, Tracy and Roberta, orchestra, etc. - For regular folks seeing GNR for the first time in years, perhaps, this must have been a trip.

In 1991, they performed via satellite, "Live and Let Die". A cover....great showing, pretty on par with GNR's evolution, but a lame song choice in my opinion considering they were debuting a bunch of new material at the time.

In 1988, it was their absolutely epic killer WTTJ. I mean, Axl's energy was so dynamic for this giant occasion, this was possibly the greatest live performance of GNR of all time, all things considered.

And there were a bunch of MTV videos in between....simple like SCOM and Patience, to the crazily produced DC, NR, and Estranged.

Back to 1992, this was so extreme and over the top, it appeared to leave little room to grow from there. In fact, by the end of the 1993 tour, Izzy was back, and these guys were sitting on a couch on stage, jamming on acoustic guitars like it was 1985 and they were working out the parts for Don't Cry. Full circle.

It appears that the existence of GNR part 1 can be clearly summed by all three MTV Video Awards performances. Beginning - five guys kicking ass; middle - Axl thinking he's the Beatles; and the end - Axl runs the show.

You've seen them a thousand times, but in case you want to study them again..

[youtube]

[youtube]

[youtube]

Edited by PirateRadio
  • Like 1

November Rain was the big hit at the moment. It was massive and the production in this performance is probably to represent the production in the music video. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Axl8.jpgaxl2002.jpgaxl.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

have to say axl looked very very cool still in 2001 here in vegas, should've tried to maintain that look somehow instead of going all sleazy/kid rockish 

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Idk but that coat is bad ass.

yep. it suits him. NR was released in Feb. of '92 and i remember i would go outside and walk around in the rain right after watching the video...i felt so simpatico though i was like 14 and had never even had a bf :lol:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 18/01/2017 at 9:45 PM, PirateRadio said:

I'd like to revisit this particular performance. In your opinion, what happen here? Was it solely an Axl Rose production?

Elton John - what does he do here musically? I understand why he was there, kinda..

Red not Michael Jackson coat - did Axl ever wear this again?

Stage setup, Tracy and Roberta, orchestra, etc. - For regular folks seeing GNR for the first time in years, perhaps, this must have been a trip.

In 1991, they performed via satellite, "Live and Let Die". A cover....great showing, pretty on par with GNR's evolution, but a lame song choice in my opinion considering they were debuting a bunch of new material at the time.

In 1988, it was their absolutely epic killer WTTJ. I mean, Axl's energy was so dynamic for this giant occasion, this was possibly the greatest live performance of GNR of all time, all things considered.

And there were a bunch of MTV videos in between....simple like SCOM and Patience, to the crazily produced DC, NR, and Estranged.

Back to 1992, this was so extreme and over the top, it appeared to leave little room to grow from there. In fact, by the end of the 1993 tour, Izzy was back, and these guys were sitting on a couch on stage, jamming on acoustic guitars like it was 1985 and they were working out the parts for Don't Cry. Full circle.

It appears that the existence of GNR part 1 can be clearly summed by all three MTV Video Awards performances. Beginning - five guys kicking ass; middle - Axl thinking he's the Beatles; and the end - Axl runs the show.

You've seen them a thousand times, but in case you want to study them again..

[youtube]

[youtube]

[youtube]

what happens on this live performance of november rain is a master class of how you waste an A-List performer (in this particular case, elton john) on a guest performance.

its just ridiculous!

its like asking Axl to guest on a track and then... get him to play piano!

i dont even particularly like (or dislike) elton john, but if you are havin elton fucking john to guest on your song, let the man sing!

if he doesnt want to sing, then beg him to sing!

If he refuses, then make him sing!

blackmail  the guy if you have to!

to this day i have no idea of how (and why) hasnt elton john sung on this

this is what you do when you have an A-list guest on your song

===

i wont even talk about the bullshit orchestra production

november rain is a really cool song

specially when played on its raw form

(check the acoustic demo)

(check the indiana 1991 6-men live version)

but this orchestra bullshit takes the life out of the song

and makes it un-gnr

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2