It's Official Oakland Raiders Are Moving To Vegas

AxlsFavoriteRose

1 minute ago, BlueJean Baby said:

What are all the people from the black hole going to do?? I went to about five games, my boss had season tickets, those people are diehards...

tell me about it! they burned my Dallas Cowboys pennant right in front of me at one of the games i attended :P still think this is great, the less pro teams in SF the better IMO :D

This is what I do not understand about American sports, how your teams can ''up sticks'' and move to some location far away - I think I made a thread about it once. I just cannot get my head around the concept, granted it happened once in Great Britain (Wimbledon to Milton Keynes) but that proved very unpopular. In Britain clubs, whether it be football, cricket or Rugby, are embedded in local identity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I do not understand about American sports, how your teams can ''up sticks'' and move to some location far away - I think I made a thread about it once. I just cannot get my head around the concept, granted it happened once in Great Britain (Wimbledon to Milton Keynes) but that proved very unpopular. In Britain clubs, whether it be football, cricket or Rugby, are embedded in local identity. 

The most devastating example is when the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. They sort of represented the working blue collar guy going against the big corporate New York Yankees. Always the scrappy underdog fighting for respect. When they left, it really, truly devastated a generation

The Raiders are my team, even though I grew up in Bills country and live in Chiefs country now. Those badass teams of the 70s just hooked me.

They filed the paperwork with the NFL, but it still needs to be approved by 2/3 of the owners. That is far from a given, but the articles I've read said there's a pretty good chance they'll get approved. I'll definitely go to Vegas for some games if it happens!

In Britain in 2004 we had one scenario like this. Wimbledon Football Club, London based, founded 1889 so quite ancient, moved to Milton Keynes,  56 miles away and became 'MK Dons'. The fans protested and in response formed their own club, AFC Wimbledon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Wimbledon#Formation

It is a fan owned club, which is quite unique in global sport. Needless to say MK Dons are very unpopular whereas AFC Wimbledon are very popular, and have been successfully promoted through the league system. I think the arrangement cobbled together by the FA was that both clubs are heirs to Wimbledon FC's history and titles but it is a bit of a dog's dinner and of course the two teams are rivals.

46 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

The Raiders are my team, even though I grew up in Bills country and live in Chiefs country now. Those badass teams of the 70s just hooked me.

They filed the paperwork with the NFL, but it still needs to be approved by 2/3 of the owners. That is far from a given, but the articles I've read said there's a pretty good chance they'll get approved. I'll definitely go to Vegas for some games if it happens!

I just can't seeing Las Vegas having a strong home field advantage with at least 20% of seats being comps for tourists.

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I just can't seeing Las Vegas having a strong home field advantage with at least 20% of seats being comps for tourists.

Yeah, I'm worried about that as well. But there are also millions of Raider fans like me, who don't live anywhere near either city, but like to go to Vegas. So maybe it will still be a sea of black- will have to wait and see. It will be sad to see the Black Hole die though...

I really want to go to a game in Oakland before they leave though, and sit in the Black Hole once. I've been to 5 Raider games, but always in Buffalo or KC...

22 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah, I'm worried about that as well. But there are also millions of Raider fans like me, who don't live anywhere near either city, but like to go to Vegas. So maybe it will still be a sea of black- will have to wait and see. It will be sad to see the Black Hole die though...

I really want to go to a game in Oakland before they leave though, and sit in the Black Hole once. I've been to 5 Raider games, but always in Buffalo or KC...

i wanna know if they are gonna serve cocktails! hell even in Lake Tahoe ( NV side ) they had bikini wearing cocktail waitresses coming to bring you drinks outside by the lake ;)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The Raiders stadium was falling apart and had attendance issues if I'm not mistaken.

It's a shame because Oakland is a rough city befitting of the Raiders vintage whereas Vegas is just a corporate husk. 

Oh the Coliseum is a hellhole. The dugouts flood with sewage during rain storms in baseball season. And the Raiders are the only NFL team that still has to play their first couple home games across a baseball infield. But Oakland has much bigger problems than building new sports stadiums.

I wish Mark Davis & the NFL would spend their own $ on a new stadium in Oakland, but that's not how it works these days. Totally agree that the Raiders & Oakland are a perfect match.

Does anyone remember Lester Hayes?? The dude with the stickum?? He lives in Modesto, when we lived near there my son ran across him hitting on the street selling autographed pics and got one. My son said he was pretty cool, but must have fallen on hard times to be selling his autographs on the street.:lol:

39 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Does anyone remember Lester Hayes?? The dude with the stickum?? He lives in Modesto, when we lived near there my son ran across him hitting on the street selling autographed pics and got one. My son said he was pretty cool, but must have fallen on hard times to be selling his autographs on the street.:lol:

Oh yeah- I remember Lester the Molester well. Raider legend. Awesome cornerback #37. Yeah- he used to cover himself in stickum. Sad that he's selling autographs on the street. He played before they got big money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Clydebank to Airdrie United too. Clydebank fans more or less straight away formed their own version of Clydebank, they now play in the junior leagues.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rangers to the Sevco Franchise also haha

Hahaha. Yeah, other clubs' fans aren't letting that one go. I guess it's not really that similar in that more-or-less everything stayed the same apart from the name of the company that owned the assets. 

Some Rangers fans now refer to Celtic as "Savco" in reference to the Celtic Boys Club child abuse scandal. Oh, the banter...

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Hahaha. Yeah, other clubs' fans aren't letting that one go. I guess it's not really that similar in that more-or-less everything stayed the same apart from the name of the company that owned the assets. 

Some Rangers fans now refer to Celtic as "Savco" in reference to the Celtic Boys Club child abuse scandal. Oh, the banter...

I read up on the Rangers saga because my cricket club is going through something slightly similar in one or two aspects (except we managed to avoid bankruptcy and were bailed out - but with punitive measures not unlike Rangers'). One thing which stood out was the hatred of the other clubs for the (new) Rangers. Originally Rangers wanted to be admitted to the SPL and simply resume business as usual but all the clubs vetoed this and it seemed to be the Scottish FA who forced through the solution to allow you your history and titles and drop you into the bottom of the league structure. To be honest, if it was up to the other SPL clubs, I do not think Rangers would've exist! That is the impression I got.

It is sort of the nature of the beast I suppose, but without a Rangers you do not have an Old Firm derby - even a Celtic supporter should have mourned this.

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I read up on the Rangers saga because my cricket club is going through something slightly similar in one or two aspects (except we managed to avoid bankruptcy and were bailed out - but with punitive measures not unlike Rangers'). One thing which stood out was the hatred of the other clubs for the (new) Rangers. Originally Rangers wanted to be admitted to the SPL and simply resume business as usual but all the clubs vetoed this and it seemed to be the Scottish FA who forced through the solution to allow you your history and titles and drop you into the bottom of the league structure. To be honest, if it was up to the other SPL clubs, I do not think Rangers would've exist! That is the impression I got.

It is sort of the nature of the beast I suppose, but without a Rangers you do not have an Old Firm derby - even a Celtic supporter should have mourned this.

Plenty of the other clubs felt that the SFA were far too lenient (bordering on allegations of corruption) in allowing Rangers' licence to be transferred to the new company. The other clubs really did love sticking the boot in, I can sort of understand it... Rangers were so big and so successful, these clubs had been under the cosh from Rangers for most of their existence both on the field and off, it's bound to breed resentment. Having said that, I wouldn't wish what happened to Rangers on any club, not even Celtic or Aberdeen.

A lot of Celtic fans did miss the Old Firm derby and the competition with Rangers, some of the magnanimous ones even admitted it, but there are those who hate Rangers more than they love their own club (likewise, there are too many of these morons on the blue side of the fence). For them, nothing but oblivion is good enough for their rivals. The national game has definitely suffered a decline in quality without those two teams keeping one another sharp though.