It's Official Oakland Raiders Are Moving To Vegas

AxlsFavoriteRose

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Not a big American football fan myself but haven't they moved a few times now ? At what point are they renamed " The Oakland Pikeys " ?

They moved from Oakland to LA in the early 80s, then back to Oakland in 94. Unfortunately it's really not unusual in American football in the past 3 decades. Every few years somebody packs up and moves for a better deal... 

Just now, AxlisOld said:

But then how would the taxpayers of that city foot the bill?

Taxpayers? Is there not enough revenue within the club itself, enough money passing through the turnstiles, being spent on merchandising? How is television revenue dished out in American football - do the clubs not receive a chunk of that?

20 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

LOL. This is not how the NFL works. Yes, they indeed pass bond issues that build taxpayer funded stadiums. They then proceed to charge aforementioned taxpayers to attend games at said stadium. Capitalism. USA! USA! USA!

I'll freely admit my knowledge on American Football can be written on a postage stamp - that is why I am asking you chaps. I have no clue what bond issues are - sorry!

In Britain you often but not always (e.g. Middlesex using Lord's which is owned by the MCC) - own the venue yourself. The clubs generate profits which are then used to buy or refurbish venues. Taxpayers do not usually enter the equation (I'd love to see the reaction of various London taxpayers, if they found out they were funding a rival's stadium haha).

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'll freely admit my knowledge on American Football can be written on a postage stamp - that is why I am asking you chaps. I have no clue what bond issues are - sorry!

In Britain you often but not always (e.g. Middlesex using Lord's which is owned by the MCC) - own the venue yourself. The clubs generate profits which are then used to buy or refurbish venues. Taxpayers do not usually enter the equation (I'd love to see the reaction of various London taxpayers, if they found out they were funding a rival's stadium haha).

if you knew how much some players get paid you'd probably have a better idea :P but yeah, as popular as football is here you'd think they could build a stadium. the stadiums are completely out of control, state of the art everything. i saw a pic of a part of Texas Stadium and they had like these hanging crystal beads but knowing Jerry Jones they could very well be diamonds and not actually crystals :lol:

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Basically yes- the teams/ league have enough money to build their own palaces. But it's a big deal for American cities to be considered "major league"- having a team in the top league of baseball, football, basketball or a lesser extent hockey. So the cities outbid each other and put taxpayer $ into luring a team. It's not always bad- a lot of times, they build a stadium in an old fucked up part of downtown, and it revitalizes the whole area. But it's always, always controversial, believe that. Many times that money should be spent another way. Just depends on the city.

9 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Basically yes- the teams/ league have enough money to build their own palaces. But it's a big deal for American cities to be considered "major league"- having a team in the top league of baseball, football, basketball or a lesser extent hockey. So the cities outbid each other and put taxpayer $ into luring a team. It's not always bad- a lot of times, they build a stadium in an old fucked up part of downtown, and it revitalizes the whole area. But it's always, always controversial, believe that. Many times that money should be spent another way. Just depends on the city.

Of course, it is franchised sport. It is such a different way of running things from here and Europe that it is hard to fathom.

• Like 1

Well, having lost 2 NFL teams in my life(St.Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams), I enjoy the chaos that is going on.  I don't know why Davis(Oakland Raiders) owner pissed off the guy from Vegas who 'WAS' gonna put up 6.5 billion dollars for the new stadium.  But he did. 

Its just insane that every 20 years the NFL teams want a brand new stadium.

18 minutes ago, JONEZY said:

Well, having lost 2 NFL teams in my life(St.Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams), I enjoy the chaos that is going on.  I don't know why Davis(Oakland Raiders) owner pissed off the guy from Vegas who 'WAS' gonna put up 6.5 billion dollars for the new stadium.  But he did. 

Its just insane that every 20 years the NFL teams want a brand new stadium.

probably takes after his father...the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree!

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

The Davis'/Raiders always had a kind of GNR type history. Bunch of greatness mixed with a bunch of craziness.

Yeah- old Al gave zero fucks. (Al and Axl- similar name eh?) Did things the way he wanted, even when it seemed like a totally crazy thing to do. (Sued the NFL, moving the team, signing guys off the scrap heap, etc). The outlaw/ renegade image. I see a lot of similarity- probably why I'm such a huge fan of both! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah- old Al gave zero fucks. (Al and Axl- similar name eh?) Did things the way he wanted, even when it seemed like a totally crazy thing to do. (Sued the NFL, moving the team, signing guys off the scrap heap, etc). The outlaw/ renegade image. I see a lot of similarity- probably why I'm such a huge fan of both! 

Al Davis kinda made Jerry Jones look like a good guy in comparison!

38 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Al Davis kinda made Jerry Jones look like a good guy in comparison!

I'm pretty sure Al Davis is Jerry's hero. Al was the Raiders coach in the early AFL days, then bought the franchise for like $20k. Molded their image, the AFL merged with the NFL, bada boom bada bing- the franchise is worth about a billion $. 

Jerry made his coin in oil, and fantasizes that he's a head coach. And bought an already fool proof iconic franchise, but thinks he invented the Cowboys! (No offense- I know your a Boys fan)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I'm pretty sure Al Davis is Jerry's hero. Al was the Raiders coach in the early AFL days, then bought the franchise for like $20k. Molded their image, the AFL merged with the NFL, bada boom bada bing- the franchise is worth about a billion $. 

Jerry made his coin in oil, and fantasizes that he's a head coach. And bought an already fool proof iconic franchise, but thinks he invented the Cowboys! (No offense- I know your a Boys fan)...

oh  none taken, i totally agree! if it were not for stupid Jerry Jones we would have kept Jimmy Johnson as coach and had a four peat! ( i truly believe this :D )

7 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Don't forget crazy fans :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Haha- very true! Irrational and hanging on to past glories I guess! :lol: Although the past year was very promising for the future of both entities...

Yep, things have def been looking better. Now we just need a deep playoff run from the Raiders, and a new Guns album and we're set!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...