It's Official Oakland Raiders Are Moving To Vegas

AxlsFavoriteRose

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I do not understand about American sports, how your teams can ''up sticks'' and move to some location far away - I think I made a thread about it once. I just cannot get my head around the concept, granted it happened once in Great Britain (Wimbledon to Milton Keynes) but that proved very unpopular. In Britain clubs, whether it be football, cricket or Rugby, are embedded in local identity. 

The Arsenal moved from Woolwich to North London.

Sucks for the fans. They are hardcore down there in the Black Hole. But it's all about the money. Oakland coliseum is falling apart, the NFL have been hell bent on getting a team to L.A so they don't give a fuck about about Oaktown. And Vegas will bring big bucks. Raiders left Oakland for L.A back in the day then returned, so it's not the first time. Not sure you will see crazed fans with face paint and shoulder pads and spikes in Vegas though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but that was in your infancy, before regional loyalties were firmly embedded. Besides, it's all London, innit? All Southern Fairy land.

You'd be suprised, there are still a few Gooners south of the water who trace their line back to the Woolwich days, crazy as that may seem.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Things have never been the same since we went to London in 1913''.

I don't understand it myself, I mean how many generations would that be?  about 6 or so generations?  And how big were Arsenal in the Dial Square days, how many fans could they have possibly had?  

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't understand it myself, I mean how many generations would that be?  about 6 or so generations?  And how big were Arsenal in the Dial Square days, how many fans could they have possibly had?  

Might be thousands actually if you look at the footage and old photos. This was in the days before 'elf n' saef' tee'' ruined everybody's enjoyment so millions of people would turn up to watch football and cricket matches.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Might be thousands actually if you look at the footage and old photos. This was in the days before 'elf n' saef' tee'' ruined everybody's enjoyment so millions of people would turn up to watch football and cricket matches.

Yeah, i suppose you're right.  They'd have people hanging off the rafters them days, quite literally.  Climbed up poles and all sorts.

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Why do American sports teams have to have such violent names? Raiders, Braves, Pirates, Tigers, Knights? 

Why can't it be "The Sports Team from That Town Who Want To Be Known for Being Good At the Sportsing?" 

However, I think I support the Montgomery Biscuits… 

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 15.30.49.png

there was a team on some tv show called The Thundering Hens...i quite like that :P

45 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Well there are also Dolphins, Jets, Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals, 49ers, Angels, Pelicans, Marlins, Blue Jays, Mets, Twins, Astros, Orioles, Athletics, Celtics, Knicks, Magic, Jazz, Wizards, Nets, etc etc.

COWBOYS!!! *smh*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Well there are also Dolphins, Jets, Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals, 49ers, Angels, Pelicans, Marlins, Blue Jays, Mets, Twins, Astros, Orioles, Athletics, Celtics, Knicks, Magic, Jazz, Wizards, Nets, etc etc.

Fun fact about the 49ers is that they weren't even founded in 49 but 46, the name originates from the Californian goldrush. Guess most knew that anyway, but nvm. ;)

Edited by Zurimor