Steven & Deanna Adler Reddit AMA - January 26th

6 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

I never claimed it to be anything other than an opinion based on my observations. 

Yes GNR has evolved. Listen to the Ritz '88 show then to any show on the NITL tour. The guitar interpretations of these songs has changed. I simply don't think Izzy could keep up anymore. Not to mention the fact that Izzy has not done a tour of this magnitude in 25 years. 

I know this opinion is unpopular, but hey that's what we're here for. To discuss our favorite band. 

And as far as the CD songs go, I don't see how Izzy could make any meaningful contribution to them. 

Ok, you said "evolved" originally.  Now you said "changed" and of course they've changed, a different dude is playing those parts and you're right it is that dudes interpretation (of the parts Izzy wrote and originally recorded, you understand how that works right)?  So of course it will be different, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better...or worse....or even harder or easier.  

In fact, Id contend that Izzy amd only Izzy is the best guy to play those parts bc they'll be truer to the recorded versions than anyone else on the planet bc guess what...he actually recorded them!

I could give a shit less about CD songs and could care less if Izzy could "handle" them or not.  In this area there is nothing to base our opinions on so they are clearly that...opinions.  

Edited by tsinindy

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Ok, you said "evolved" originally.  Now you said "changed" and of course they've changed, a different dude is playing those parts and you're right it is that dudes interpretation (of the parts Izzy wrote and originally recorded, you understand how that works right)?  So of course it will be different, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better...or worse....or even harder or easier.  

In fact, Id contend that Izzy amd only Izzy is the best guy to play those parts bc they'll be truer to the recorded versions than anyone else on the planet bc guess what...he actually recorded them!

I could give a shit less about CD songs and could care less if Izzy could "handle" them or not.  In this area there is nothing to base our opinions on so they are clearly that...opinions.  

I absolutely think GNR has evolved. The band that plays the NITL tour is a completely different beast from Appetite era Guns. I understand that people would love to hear the original five take the stage and do a kickass show that sounds as rocking and modern as current GNR and blows everyone away. I would too. However it's not 1988 and I'm skeptical that Izzy in 2017 could or would even be interested in pulling that off. I think guest spots is the role most suited for him at this time. Slash is currently in god mode, Duff is as solid as ever, Axl is doing his absolute best. I just don't see how Izzy fits in to that. 

17 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

The fact that he hasn't done a tour in 25 years doesn't mean that he can't do it, means that he probably gives a fuck about the fucking "machine". He wanted a real reunion with his old friends, not being a guest in this circus. And about the loot, seriously. He left the band when they were most successful so, honestly, I don't think he is the one who cares about the money the most of them all. And by the way, he never said he isn't in the tour because they didn't give him enough money, he said he isn't because they didn't want to share it equally. You call it being greedy, I call it having principles.

You are putting words in his mouth. As far as I know he's said nothing about wanting a reunion with his old friends. He has however mentioned the loot. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

In my opinion it was pretty obvious that Izzy's guitar was not turned on during his guest appearances with NuGuns. Izzy's chops were a major issue for Slash and Axl during the '91 tour where for some songs it was pretty clear GNR were a one guitar band. I did enjoy his live playing during the' 88 era but that was almost 30 years ago. Like it or not GNR has evolved since then and the guitar parts are far more demanding these days. Furthermore he is the only GNR member past or present who is on the record saying he would do it for the "loot."  For me the perfect scenario would be guest appearances of max 3 songs a night rotating Dust N Bones, 14 Years, Bad Obsession, Think About You. 

Izzy's longest show was London 2012 I think. I don't recall any amp being turned off. Besides based on current set list they play CD, Better and TIL, sometimes they swap with Sorry. But I don't think it is impossible for Izzy to play those songs. He played Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, November Rain and Coma in the album and live in few occasions when he was still in the band. If he could deal with those UYI songs. CD songs are a piece of cake for him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Padme said:

Izzy's longest show was London 2012 I think. I don't recall any amp being turned off. Besides based on current set list they play CD, Better and TIL, sometimes they swap with Sorry. But I don't think it is impossible for Izzy to play those songs. He played Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, November Rain and Coma in the album and live in few occasions when he was still in the band. If he could deal with those UYI songs. CD songs are a piece of cake for him.

I certainly can't hear anything Izzy may be playing in the London 2012 show. Looking at his hands he's never playing anything other than 8th note open/bar chords even if he were to be audible in the mix, which to my ears he's not. 

He never played on Locomotive on the album. I also disagree vehemently that he could contribute to any of the CD songs as even a third guitarist let alone the only other guitarist next to Slash, and honestly I don't think he would want to anyway. 

1 hour ago, Darkenchantress said:

The fact that he hasn't done a tour in 25 years doesn't mean that he can't do it, means that he probably gives a fuck about the fucking "machine". He wanted a real reunion with his old friends, not being a guest in this circus. And about the loot, seriously. He left the band when they were most successful so, honestly, I don't think he is the one who cares about the money the most of them all. And by the way, he never said he isn't in the tour because they didn't give him enough money, he said he isn't because they didn't want to share it equally. You call it being greedy, I call it having principles.

It's the same old argument but Izzy sold his stake in the band. He was paid for his stake in the band. So if he wants to be paid as an equal partner (after being bought out as one) shouldn't he have to pay the band back whatever the paid him in 1991? 

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

My sentiments exactly.  If the AFD5 reunite, awesome!  Ticket sold, ass in seat.  But unlike some people around here who seemingly look for reasons to be unhappy with GNR, I'm not going to pretend that what I saw (twice) this past year wasn't anything short of amazing.  An Axl/Slash/Duff reunion and reconciliation at one point, not long ago, seemed like an absolute impossibility.  Having the two main voices of GNR back playing together in such a huge way was one of the coolest moments I've ever witnessed and something I'll always remember.

Yes...thank- you for that. I feel the exact same way!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Actually he said that he didn't want to play "a large portion of the NITL Tour" without Izzy,  not that he wouldn't be guesting for a show here and there this year.

People are exaggerating this whole thing in my opinion.

Without Dizzy you mean ;-D

• Like 4

Izzy is unable to play his own songs? What!?

A few years ago people used to say these absurd things about Slash. Buckethead/Bumblefoot/Richard were better than him and the songs sounded better with them because Slash was too sloppy and made many mistakes live. It took him like 15 minutes back in the band to end that nonsense forever.

Izzy could play guitar perfectly in the late 80's when he was high as fuck out of his mind, it's obvious he didn't have problems to play in the early 90's. His problem was he didn't want to be there anymore. No one gave a shit about Izzy's opinion and he was sick and tired of everyone (mostly Axl).

About his guest spots with Axl's band, his guitar might have been unplugged/turned down. He was coming with no rehearsals to perform with a "band" that already had THREE guitar players. It was pointless to give him a guitar at all, even if he was playing the coolest shit in the world, it was gonna get lost in the middle of the noise Axl's employees were making. By the way, it really is unbelievable that some people can think Izzy is not good enough to play in a band that featured DJ Ashba until not that long ago.

If by evolution we mean change, then yeah, GNR has evolved. Now, if it implies improvement, the only evolution this band has had is the return of Slash and Duff. That if you count Axl's band as GNR.

85-90>91-93>2001-2002>2006-2007>2009-2014<2016

Anyway, the point is Izzy fn' rocks!

• Like 2

I remember people saying things like, ''Slash is a cheesy '80s cock rocker who puts out Sunset Strip albums. Buckethead runs circles around him. Axl is an artist; Chinese Democracy will be like a Pink Floyd album or a Zeppelin album, full of sophisticated layers''.

This was all before Chinese came out of course - going back to the gnronline days infact!

PS

Oh yes, Axl crazies started praising Izzy when he began making appearances with nugnr, saying stuff like, ''Axl and Slash never got along. Izzy is a childhood friend. They have a chemistry which doesn't exist between Axl and Slash'' and things like that. I even remember Axl fans saying things like, ''Izzys solo albums are the only good solo albums and much better than Slash's cock rockers''.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

A few years ago people used to say these absurd things about Slash. Buckethead/Bumblefoot/Richard were better than him and the songs sounded better with them because Slash was too sloppy and made many mistakes live. It took him like 15 minutes back in the band to end that nonsense forever.

Izzy could play guitar perfectly in the late 80's when he was high as fuck out of his mind, it's obvious he didn't have problems to play in the early 90's. His problem was he didn't want to be there anymore. No one gave a shit about Izzy's opinion and he was sick and tired of everyone (mostly Axl).

About his guest spots with Axl's band, his guitar might have been unplugged/turned down. He was coming with no rehearsals to perform with a "band" that already had THREE guitar players. It was pointless to give him a guitar at all, even if he was playing the coolest shit in the world, it was gonna get lost in the middle of the noise Axl's employees were making. By the way, it really is unbelievable that some people can think Izzy is not good enough to play in a band that featured DJ Ashba until not that long ago.

If by evolution we mean change, then yeah, GNR has evolved. Now, if it implies improvement, the only evolution this band has had is the return of Slash and Duff. That if you count Axl's band as GNR.

I do not wish to discuss NuGuns. I feel dirty enough after having to watch London '12 to prove my point that Izzy didn't play shit on guitar in Axl's solo band. I'll be in the shower until Tokyo. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

I also disagree vehemently that he could contribute to any of the CD songs as even a third guitarist let alone the only other guitarist next to Slash, and honestly I don't think he would want to anyway. 

The fact that you think that Izzy couldnt contribute to any Axl solo songs only shows how little you know about Izzy

If Izzy was around and had a say on the writing/arranging/recording of those songs, they would never ever sound like they do

Even Axl would tell you that

51 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

those two songs izzy sung with those guys at this camp freddy gig...

FUCK! THAT ROCKS!

i love how izzy sings brownstone HIS way,

he does his own melodie lines and his own vocal inflexions, he doesnt follow axl vocals lines!

its INSANELY GOOD!

and way better than any axl impersonator!

you got these two songs and also the two songs that VR played acoustic with izzy on that fashion show

i think axl is the best singer ever

but i dont care about his bull$hit solo music, about his bull$hit guns n aliens money tour and his bull$hit clean voice

i really wouldnt mind to have izzy, slash, duff and a drummer writing, recording and releasing music!

the only reason they never did that is likely because (that seems pretty clear) slash doesnt really want to play with izzy on a long term band situation

and (maybe) izzy doesnt really wanna play with slash on a long term band situation too...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

The fact that you think that Izzy couldnt contribute to any Axl solo songs only shows how little you know about Izzy

If Izzy was around and had a say on the writing/arranging/recording of those songs, they would never ever sound like they do

Even Axl would tell you that

You're making two different arguments my friend. I'm talking about reality and you're dealing in hypotheticals. Could Izzy play CD live? Probably not. Could Izzy hypothetically play Izzy written parts in an alternate timeline in which gnr never broke up? Maybe. 

Edited by TOS--LOA

16 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

those two songs izzy sung with those guys at this camp freddy gig...

FUCK! THAT ROCKS!

i love how izzy sings brownstone HIS way,

he does his own melodie lines and his own vocal inflexions, he doesnt follow axl vocals lines!

its INSANELY GOOD!

and way better than any axl impersonator!

you got these two songs and also the two songs that VR played acoustic with izzy on that fashion show

i think axl is the best singer ever

but i dont care about his bull$hit solo music, about his bull$hit guns n aliens money tour and his bull$hit clean voice

i really wouldnt mind to have izzy, slash, duff and a drummer writing, recording and releasing music!

the only reason they never did that is likely because (that seems pretty clear) slash doesnt really want to play with izzy on a long term band situation

and (maybe) izzy doesnt really wanna play with slash on a long term band situation too...

No one here is doubting that Izzy is awesome and a crucial part of the gnr sound. What I'm arguing is that Izzy is by far best suited in 2017 for a guest spot role.  If you look at my original post it's all I've ever said. 

Edited by TOS--LOA

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

"Maybe"? As a guitarist who has learned a lot of Izzys parts from Appetite to even more obscure tracks like Bad Apples, there is nothing hard that he wouldn't be able to play even if he hasn't played them in ages. He has very simple parts and all it would take is some rehearsals. He could play CD tracks but he would probably not "learn" parts that someone else played but just add his own.

What I can see though is that Izzy only being suited for guest spots would rather have to do with how he still, just like when he left in 1991, wants everyone in the band to be seen as equal, he wants equal loot for everyone, not having certain guys in the band be more "important" than others. And that's the reason why he's not on this tour, Axl just doesn't see it that way, just like in 1991.

I don't know man, call me a GNR conspiracy theorist, but based on my own ears I believe Slash when he said that Izzy played far less guitar on the final cuts of the illusions than he's given credit for. 

I've read the same tweets as you guys and I think he wants to do less work and receive equal pay. I say give the dude $250,000 plus travel expenses per appearance. Do 2-4 songs and everyone is happy. 

8 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

I don't know man, call me a GNR conspiracy theorist, but based on my own ears I believe Slash when he said that Izzy played far less guitar on the final cuts of the illusions than he's given credit for. 

I've read the same tweets as you guys and I think he wants to do less work and receive equal pay. I say give the dude $250,000 plus travel expenses per appearance. Do 2-4 songs and everyone is happy. 

What exactly is "less work"? Because he doesn't have to sing, or play solos? Axl had this same logic when he wanted to demote Izzy shortly before he left with the contract he gave him and this point of view is completely ridiculous. He should get paid less because he gets to "just stand there" and Axl has to sing? That's just ridiculously dumb. Duff gets equal share and he is a BASS PLAYER. Playing Bass and playing rhythm guitar is the same amount of "work" basically, but this entire argument is flawed in what's more work and what's less. Every band needs a rhythm guitarist and that they go with Fortus because he's okay with everyone not getting the same pay is a "joy" for the band at the expense of us fans in the end.

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What exactly is "less work"? Because he doesn't have to sing, or play solos? Axl had this same logic when he wanted to demote Izzy shortly before he left with the contract he gave him and this point of view is completely ridiculous. He should get paid less because he gets to "just stand there" and Axl has to sing? That's just ridiculously dumb. Duff gets equal share and he is a BASS PLAYER. Playing Bass and playing rhythm guitar is the same amount of "work" basically, but this entire argument is flawed in what's more work and what's less. Every band needs a rhythm guitarist and that they go with Fortus because he's okay with everyone not getting the same pay is a "joy" for the band at the expense of us fans in the end.

You misunderstood me. By "less work" I mean putting work into the GNR brand. Since 1991 he has done zero. By comparison, Axl has kept the name in the forefront of popular culture for the entire time, Slash has solidified his Slash™ brand through a steady stream of new releases while always paying tribute to his GNR roots. Duff has saved his own life and become a respected author all while fronting Loaded and mending fences with Axl. 

Izzy says "they didn't want to split the loot" GTFO. You know what I'm saying? Home fuck? 

2 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

You misunderstood me. By "less work" I mean putting work into the GNR brand. Since 1991 he has done zero. By comparison, Axl has kept the name in the forefront of popular culture for the entire time, Slash has solidified his Slash™ brand through a steady stream of new releases while always paying tribute to his GNR roots. Duff has saved his own life and become a respected author all while fronting Loaded and mending fences with Axl. 

Izzy says "they didn't want to split the loot" GTFO. You know what I'm saying? Home fuck? 

Izzy has recorded and published more music than any other member of the AFD lineup lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Izzy has recorded and published more music than any other member of the AFD lineup lol

But has anyone ever heard it? No. It's easy to just sit there and make music in your house. I know plenty of people who can do that quite well. 

Keeping a worldwide brand relevant? Nah not so fucking easy. 

6 minutes ago, TOS--LOA said:

Izzy says "They didn't want to split the loot equally". EQUALLY. You left out the last important word, either to strengthen your own argument or by accident, I'll leave that up in the air. And this argument that Slash somehow contributed more to Guns with his steady stream of new releases..did you even take a look at Izzys discography and how massive it is? I guess not or you wouldn't be claiming this lol. None of Slashs solo have as much to do with GNR as Izzys or Duffs solo albums, 0.

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Izzy says "They didn't want to split the loot equally". EQUALLY. You left out the last important word, either to strengthen your own argument or by accident, I'll leave that up in the air. And this argument that Slash somehow contributed more to Guns with his steady stream of new releases..did you even take a look at Izzys discography and how massive it is? I guess not or you wouldn't be claiming this lol. None of Slashs solo have as much to do with GNR as Izzys or Duffs solo albums, 0.

That was my entire argument! EQUALLY. GTFO 

$250,000 plus travel per appearance. 

Edited by TOS--LOA